Pulling your shooting apart

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by AndyIoW, Jul 16, 2012.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

After, what was to me anyway, a poor performance at Tondu's GP I spent yesterday at the club pulling my shooting apart to get to understand the reason behind it.

First step pellets. Use JSB's 4.52 and have weighed them to have a +/- 1.7% variation ( 8.3 - 8.6gr from an average of 8.45) mainly to screen out the wildly different ones as I have come across some 7.1gr pellets imagine putting that through the chrono.

All are lubed to the same amount so shot 3 groups of 5 straight from my select bag from a rested position at a set of target cards 50yds away. Repeated this with sized 4.49 and 4.48. After this I got regular 5 shot groups within a 25mm circle. The other two were only slightly worse but all falling with a 40mm circle. Did notice that it was out by 1/2 kill and with all windicators down range not moving adjusted it out (6 clicks on windage)

Scope next. The wrong way round but sat down in the FT position closed eyes and put head were I thought it should be. Scope needed to be moved forward about 1/2" to get the but pad and my eye in correct place. Adjusted as required then decided to shoot some groups.

Wind not changed that much since doing the first part so put 5 groups of 3 down to the target. Result all shots falling within a 30mm x 40mm oval shape when overlaying the centre of each target. Now happy and now believe the windage being out cause of my misses. I was giving about 25% more windage than my partner to the right on the upper section but giving nothing on the lower section.

Had to leave then but hope to try the club targets out next week provided they have not floated away :rolleyes: or covered up by the amount of nettles etc that are growing at a turbo pace it seems.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Groups don't sound too great there Andy, if a kill is 40mm you're not giving any allowance for rangefinding issues.

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

The 40mm is the width hieght 30mm.

Going to try some more next week but with half the ground in about 3" of water and the rest only 3" above the water, anyone walking around you the vibrations could be seen coming through the scope. By that time as well been shooting for a few hours doing mine and helping some of the others out.

Going to clean the barrel (not done it since at least the last Winter league shoot) before next weekend and actually do my set-up rather than help everyone else as never seem to get time to myself. Either that or I go up on a Saturday.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Ohhhh

Andy . it is called shooting like a farnworth . no don't thank me ??? HOLLY:):D

5. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    what caused most of your misses at gp 6 Andy or did you not see the misses?

6. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    At least he has not got down to your level :p

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Your Turn ?

Your turn will come simon , i am on the up , having got two targets on the trot suinday ??? HOLLY:):D

8. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Most of them were for windage to the left on the top part of the course up to target 30 ish. Sunday I found that it was hitting the targets to the left so my 'guessing' of windage needed to add the extra.

The long targets before the stander I was giving straight at them or slightly right of kill.

9. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Have you checked your scope for cross over ?

10. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Yes I did check every 10 yards as that was ome of my thoughts but they all fell on the vertical plumb line.

Goes to prove best to check everything regularly. Saying that woild be nice go have more valmer drier days.

11. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    If you were happy with your windage before - why change it now - why would it move?

Dean

12. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

It had been something that had nagging me since the start of the gp season but never had a calm.day to be able to properly check it out. I seemed to giving more windage compared to other club members on the same targets.

Now checked it and corrected the 20mm difference. Now looking forward to the last 2 gp's.

13. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Depends, you could have been giving less depending on the wind direction!

14. simone

simone New Member

Club:
    ETL and Iceni in Sefta land
    Seeing pellets land

I to was punished by the welsh GP but I think it was the hardest course I've shot since the welsh GP last year :)

Someone mentioned on here earlier about 'seeing pellets land' - I almost never ever see a pellet land, whether I shoot on 20 or 50 mag - yet I understand that some people see every pellet come in to land so they can adjust their aim point accordingly, which would obviously be a great help at a course as varied as Wales. My eyesight isnt that bad - so I'm wondering if it really is possible to see every pellet land - any thoughts?

15. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Follow through, hard to see pellet in flight, sometimes you can on a sunny day, but 90% of my shot I see land, not always where I want mind! :eek:Good trigger and watching target after shot is released is required, practice it!

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Hi up simone . all though we call our PCPs recoiless , they not altogether so . you have jetting to contend with . this small distuirbance can make it difficult to see the pellet in flight . also instead of a high mag , a lower one and clarity is better . when you go to springfield next . go onto the zero range , bench rest the rifle on your bean bag . get a good grip on you rifle , turn the mag to twenty and put 50 yards on the sidwheel . there is a new 50 yard board with 20 mil holes in it , with backing plates . concentrate and shoot at either one of the holes or a pellet mark . you should after a while see the pellet hit the target and bounce back . once you have seen it once you will know what to look for and be able to see it more often . also you could pinch keiths 8002 shutz , which is as near recoiless as you can get . luck HOLLY:)

17. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Sunday shooting had a slight breeze enough to push pellets out by a kill but not in a steady direction.

So with a wind indicator above a 50yd board I had checked the rifle and windage out again. shooting whenever the windicator was still I put a 3 shot clover leaf group down range. However should of left it alone or shot at another target because the next 2 pushed the group size out by 1/2" each side. Reason me getting to cocky :D

Anyway happy with the paper group not so happy with the 20 sots around the course, well after some pruning of the lanes (work party next Saturday to clear the 5 tress that have fallen or been broken down). Breeze moving the pellets up, down, left and right Its been a while since it has come from the southern direction and think that its was swirling around.

Not only me but other as well having the same head scratching moments. All within a yard or two of each other as we compared afterwards. Put a indicator up at the some of the targets and it was twisting every way round constantly with very short times going in the same direction.

2 more weekends of practice now before GP8.

18. rich

rich Active Member

If it's any consolation we had the same circumstances at our club yesterday. It wasn't particularly windy but the wind was all over the place, not gusty but very inconsistent and capricious, if wind can have a mind of its own.

The wind was mainly from the south or south east, which is a direction we seldom see.

On the matter of group sizes, it's a statistical probability (nigh on certainty) that if you shoot more shots you will make an existing group larger. ;)