Pt2: My BR scope progression

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Oct 29, 2018.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Following on from my rifle progression, here is my scope progression, its mostly followed the rifle progression although the difference is, you can get a very capable scope without breaking the bank. I started to write this in chronological order, but it made more sense to put in 2nd hand cost order ( I bought them all 2nd hand)
    Tasco world class plus 8-32x50 Duplex. I bought this as a cheap backup scope, and yes they are cheap, its OK running 26-28x zoom, but was certainly a quite grainy at 32x. Would be OK as a very first starter BR scope due to £100 2nd hand prices.
    EB Opti-mate 36x44 Target dot. On discovering that my BSA R10 was a shotgun, I trialled the rapid in full LH thumbhole stock and was blown away by its performance, but unfortunately the rapid came with built in 25mm mounts and I only had the Sidewinder TAC30 at the time, so I put the feelers out for a 25mm tube scope for benchrest and this came up for £150. This is by far the best bang for buck scope I have ever bought, some believe its the same scope as the Weaver? dont know, but for entry level money, its fantastic. The crosshairs are a tad thicker than a Sightron, but for a beginner, this may help, it certainly didnt hinder. Mine came down to 10yds as it was previously used for FT, not sure if they did as standard. Never had any zero shift, and bright enough, well brighter and optical clarity than the 2nd hand price tag would suggest. I would say for many, this is good enough.
    Bushnell elite 4200 6-24x40 Mildot - I bought this for springer benchrest. Optics are very clear and bright, never had any zero shift issues, been on all my BR springers, and now sits on top of a TX200 im running for FT and BR. I consider 24x zoom to be the minimum requirements for benchrest, its just about enough. Sure I could do with a little more, and would love to get my hands on the 32x front AO version (this would help for FT too) I think the optical clarity and brightness more than makes up for a little bit of power.
    Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 Mildot. This was my first high power scope I put on the BSA R10. While the rifle was a shotgun, it did give me an instant 25% improvement in scores over the 10x40 MTC viper I originally bought with the rifle. How often do we see people trying to get by with low power scopes?
    Sightron 36x42 Target dot. This was my biggest disappointment of any scope I have bought. Unfortunately, for twice the money over the EB36x42, I hardly got any improvement. I don’t think it was much brighter or clearer, although the cross hairs were noticeably thinner. Also, the odd thing about the sightron is you need to slacken off the sunshade to make PX adjustments, and BR always seems to be at 2 distances, so your always doing this. (the opti-mate sunshade was obviously fitted to the moving part of the bell) The sightron also only has a 15-20yd close focus, so no good for 10m benchrest, Simply just not the upgrade I was expecting over the Opti as a direct replacement.
    Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Mildot. Bought to try more zoom on springer benchrest, but this is a later 6500, and the optics just arnt what the older Bushnell scopes are. Its probably OK, but a bit pricy even 2nd hand compared to a Sightron for BR so why bother. If you have a break barrel springer its a nice short scope for the zoom, so it will work well in that application as its the shortest high power scope I have found.
    Leupold Competition 35x45 Target dot. Now this is an upgrade. Super clear bright glass, far brighter than the sightron in the dimly lit range, certainly tell the difference over and above the opti and sightron. Nice thin crosshairs and dot, which is exactly the same size as the white dot on the 10m card so targeting is easy. I should write more? I felt a little cheap having the Opti-mate on the 9015, hence feeling like I needed to upgrade. I wont upgrade again, this will stay on the 9015.
    Conclusion, if you have a £150 scope that’s doing the job, don’t bother to upgrade unless you can afford Leupold money! Enjoy!

Geoff.

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Good write up.
    The Leup. competition scopes are by far the best scopes for BR for the money. An uncomplicated prime zoom with a bright, sharp, dinner plate image, what's not to like apart from the fact that you can only buy the x45 flavour new now since Leupold dropped the x35 & x40. I shoot FT with a x40 and for me it is the perfect scope.

3. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Have used a fox firearms scope 8-32x50 and found it to be very good especially at the price point. Also tried an old tasco custom shop 10-40x56 but made the rifle feel clumsy. Have got the sightron 36x42 and find it very good but overpriced.

4. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Colin
    I would like something to cover a bit of BR (Fun only) and FT which I will give a go in the future, where can the Leuplod be purchased and is there anything else that is suitable for both disciplines

Thanks

5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You have two options, buy second-hand for between £600 - £1000; they do pop up occasionally in all flavours from x35 / x40 / x45. I've had all three magnifications over the years and for my money the x40 is the perfect compromise between image quality, brightness and magnification for FT ranging.
    Your other choice is to buy new but you'll be looking at about £1500. Viking are the UK contact for Leupold. If you know anyone in the States then it's possible to buy out there new for about £1000, but good luck getting it out of the Country.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  6. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Cheers Colin

7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    The EB optimate I had came from a FT shooter - £150 scope!!!

Otherwise if I was starting cheap, the hawke 32x is good enough to get you going in both disciplines.

Next up, a big nikko and tbh any FT scope is ok for “fun benchrest”

While a lot of people use Leup 35x or 40x you pretty much are limited to the fine x hair for FT, although perfect for BR may not suit you for FT.

8. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Geoff