Prone or not Prone

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Cosford, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    here is the question for you, HFT requires all pegs able to be shot Prone, SARC does not require any lane to be shot in any position so how many lanes should be able to be shot Prone. and why

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I thought SARC was standing, kneeling or prone - not any position? You can't shoot them sitting can you?

So long as it's the same for everyone and you have enough shooters willing to take part, it doesn't matter does it?

3. paula

paula Senior Member

SARC can be shot from any posn including sitting we are not permitted to use a bean bag to sit on though
    more details can be found on the UKSARC site
    from my personal view we all need to take in to account that SARC is a new discipline and will take a while to correct the rules and regs in our game but we also need to hang on to the thinking that the few rules the better !
    Hope this helps
    ATVB
    Phil

4. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    no you can use any SAFE shooting position with any SAFE natural aids( trees ect) for your shot as long as the trigger is behind the firing line. but I am being asked to put in more prone shots as people are used to that from HFT BUT SARC is not HFT. you have to decide how to shoot the target allowing for any twigs ect. that are between you and it.there is no calling for things in the way to be removed ,

5. Brian.Samson

Club:
    UKSARC website Rules page says "The shot may be taken standing, kneeling or prone from anywhere with in this area."

The trouble with having few rules, is no one knows what the rules are :)

6. raygun

raygun Non member

I think one of the SARC rules is that if you shoot a comp you have to make 4 posts about it.

:D:D:D

ATB
    Ray.

7. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I think sensibility is called for here. In real life if you can't get a clear shot you don't take it. In SARC you are pretty much forced to do so. Foliage in the way doesn't always reflect real life situation, you have the ability to move around some. In SARC you have best part of a yard to adjust. If the majority of shots that would normally be taken prone is subject to two foot of bracken then the shooters will lose interest pretty fast.

8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Already have lol

9. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Which one's?

10. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

I lost interest when I was informed I had to use a standard stock for your Comp's to shoot open class, find me a gunmaker that makes a standard stock that comes even close to fitting me I might give it a go and as for shooting through crap to a target I don't do it when hunting and I have never shot again at the last ground that pulled that one it makes any Comp allowing it a lottery and dangerous. As for the little dig by Cosford at HFT about All Targets have to be able to be shot prone, get your facts right we have dedicated lanes for kneeling/Standers for obvious reasons these do not need to be able to be shot prone. We have rules for a reason, it means the shoot is safe.

11. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I think even if you found a stock that worked for you your mind is made up already and I understand that, it's not for all; I see it purely as practice for HFT and at least a day out. I don't think Cosford was having a dig either, just not up on the intracacies of HFT.

12. rosstyoung

rosstyoung Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Here we go again!!!

13. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Perhaps you've answered Cosford's question for him with your statement that you see SARC as practice for HFT. If other's see it the same way then I would imagine since the majority of shots on a UKAHFT course are taken prone then those wishing to use SARC as practice for HFT might like to practice in the prone position?

They say Practice makes perfect, but they're not quite right.... Perfect Practice makes Perfect ;)

14. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

I think sarc is a good thing head shots only small kills ill be trying it!:D

15. Cosford

Cosford New Member

Club:
    Cosford
    I was not having a dig at HFT ,simply stating that in HFT rules 24 of the 30 targets must be able to be shot from the prone position.
    as far as shooting around twigs ect .that is not the case,there must be a clear shot at the target from the firing line

16. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who you are asking the question to? SARC shooters or all shooters?

The webpage is a little confusing as it says " The shot may be taken standing, kneeling or prone from anywhere with in this area ". It later says that bean bags cannot be used for sitting.

The comments on this thread make it clear that one can sit.

I originally got the idea that SARC was basically HFT but with sporter stocks and no target guns, and targets had small kills with kills in the heads, giving a chance of a total miss. I now see that you don't touch a peg but can shoot within an area and can sit. So there's more of an FT element in it.

Prone in HFT isn't really a true prone as you can rest against a peg or have your fore arm/ hand on the floor with the gun rested on that and the butt on the floor. Add a deep fore end or hamster to the stock and that becomes a very stable stance. This stance is quite easy then for most people, especially youngsters and new shooters, to shoot accurately. This means that most then will get decent scores on a HFT course ( at least knock quite a few down with little practice ).

If you take out the deep fore end / hamster by using standard stocks ... and no pegs ... and with a bit of clever target placement you will have to shoot up on your elbows with no support. A much harder shot. Is this how a number of shots have to be taken in SARC?

To be honest I always thought that, to test shooters ability, on a 30 target course there should be 10 proper prone, 10 standing and 10 kneeling. Not sure how many would shoot it though as the scores would dive.

HFT has done very well with a set up that makes it reasonably easy for most to have a go and start getting decent scores in quite a short time ... but there's enough difficulty to make it very hard to get into the elite group of shooters.

What are your attendances like? If your attendances are high and increasing then stay as you are and those that want to shoot more prone will have to shoot more HFT. If attendances are poor then you have to decide if you have to start feeding the hippo and adjust your courses to attract more shooters.

What do the organisers/rule makers say? Are you one of those or just run Cosford?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  17. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Problem solved then... if there must be a clear shot at the target from the firing line (can't see that in the written rules on the website? :confused: ) people can take the shot however they like can't they? - prone, standing, kneeling - even sitting down.

Or is the unwritten rule that there must be a clear shot to the target from a particular stance?

I thought the idea of SARC was that it was a fun day out shooting with an off the shelf sporter gun... aren't you kinda taking the fun out of it by trying to introduce rules on course setting?

18. rogb

rogb Señor Member

Did you hit any foliage/twigs yesterday then? lol:D

19. rosstyoung

rosstyoung Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Unfortunately I can't even use that as an excuse :confused:

20. skires

skires Well-Known Member

It is hard as a lot of people want a serious( ish ) competition ... so you have to have rules. People will then pick lumps out of the rules.

The best attended clubs that I've been to, on a weekly/fortnightly basis, just set out courses and then say just shoot them how you want. The only rule is be safe and legal.

I enjoy those as a day out practising but I prefer the added thrill of a proper comp.