Problem with FTP900

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by pedroarg, Aug 31, 2015.

1. pedroarg

pedroarg New Member

Hello, I have a lot of problems with my FTP900 (I Just changed the barrel because the original have big accuracy problems). Now I find this air leak when I make a shot, someone know if this is normal in the FTP900? This is the video of the leak:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. simona

simona Active Member

If you're talking about a little puff from underneath, then yes it is normal. Mine's the same and I had to ask the same question.

3. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

It's air being expelled from the air stripper and down through the shroud and there are a couple of holes specifically for this in the base of the stock.

4. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Ftp

Don't worry mate that is the same as all FTP and EV2s the air blends out of the firing valve guide when you take a shot so don't listen to the post above that explanation is dung
    Regards Dave

5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I was going to say to say the same as Dyno Dave, the FTP as with most other Air Arms rifles do not have a gland seal on the firing valve stem so some air escapes along it during the firing cycle. Quiet normal, but you would expect a groove and o ring in there to prevent this when you spend that much!
    The story about the shroud back venting through the block is fantasy!

6. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Guess I'd better stop listening to the gunsmith at Neath Gun Shop.

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Yes, you had.

The muzzle brake on the FTP is a completely separate unit to the barrel shroud. You can take the shroud off and then refit the brake and it will still do its job.

The shroud itself is actually two tubes, one that fits into a recess at the back of the muzzle brake and into a recess in the figure eight, held with O rings either end, and the second that fits between the figure eight and the breech, again with O rings. At the breech, there is nowhere for air to pass, because that is where the barrel is fixed into the action.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  8. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Had I even stopped to think as he was giving his explanation I would have realised what a pile of pooh it was as I had already stripped it all off to free float the barrel and obviously seen how it was made. At the moment I am quite happy to go to the top or maybe the bottom of the numpty class.

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    You're not the first to be a BS victim at the hands of a 'professional' and you most certainly won't be the last.

10. chrisbaker42

chrisbaker42 Member

Very true but knowing that still doesn't make me feel less stupid.

11. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    I also noticed this 'leak' when I first got my FTP and just put it down to the hammer banging around inside the action needing space to vent.

12. fatwelshboy

fatwelshboy Wanted - EV2

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    You need a little chat with Chubby, you'll feel a lot better about yourself!

13. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Chris baker42 your not stupid. You were trying to be helpful and passed on something that someone else had told you, at least we all now.

As tench said, you would think AA would have put a bit more into the design though!

14. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    so whos tried blocking it of then?

Anyone tried firing over a chrono with hole blocked off and see whats happening ?

15. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    What barrel have you put in,I assume it is a barrel with an internal o ring?

16. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

That's an interesting feature.. seems like quite a lot of air escaping but of course you can't really quantify this on any other guns for comparison.

In AA's defense fitting an O-ring to the valve stem isn't the no-brainer some might think since it adds cost and complexity (minimal I know), potentially harms consistency and limits how low you can go on the OD of the valve stem (although I'm not sure how much meat the valve stem has on it as standard).

IIRC Steyr don't seal their valve stems, but then they're a lot smaller diameter so present a smaller flow path and probably lose a lot less air..

17. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

A seal groove does not have to be cut into the stem dia, an external seal like BSA use on all their actions does the job fine without limiting the min stem dia.

Yes I bet FTP owners are really glad AA saved a few pennies by not fitting a valve stem seal and put the money towards expensively shaping the block so it looked like a new action instead of a Mk5 EV and the manufacture and fitting of that lovely shroud!

Don't give them any sympathy for saving a quid on a stem seal when they inflated the price with machining and parts that do nothing for the rifle that most people have discarded!

Makes you wonder if they consulted anyone with shooting knowledge during the design process?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

A valid point about the external seal, although this would certainly add more cost and complexity IMO.. and I stand by my point about consistency :p

As much as I generally like AA products I agree wholeheartedly with your other points though - yes, the FTP does largely seem to be an EV2 in a new frock - very little internal appears to have changed significantly since since the RN10 was introduced nearly 20yrs ago..

.. and yes, the shroud setup is a bit of a lashup (both functionally and aesthetically IMO) and totally unnecessary I think - the fact that there are still target guns available that don't have floating barrels smacks of a fundamental lack of understanding on the part of the manufactureres IMO.

19. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Forgive me if I have this wrong! but I thought AA had taken and acted on advice from the extremely knowledgeable FT/HFT fraternity during the development process of the FTP ? Regards Gordon.

20. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Yes, they take the advice of those in the know.... and then ignore it.

They did this with the EV and seem to have done the same again with the FTP.

That said, it is a good rifle, you just need to release the thing from it's constraints.