Pro Target issues

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by BruceGill, May 5, 2014.

1. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Hi guys

Bought a lovely mk3 PT recently. Great condition but poo accuracy :(

Sent it off to Wayne Twelftree so now all serviced and new reg core. Accuracy is MUCH better but still not what I'd hope for. Good group, then a flyer at random places. Tried loads of pellets etc, scopes known to be good, with and without muzzle break, stock screws loose and tight.

All I can think now is the barrels a dud. Wayne mentioned trying some autosol on a pull through, so that's next.

Any help or advice appreciated. Have a wanted ad up for a barrel that's know to be good.

Really want to get this one working! My Wolf is better and so are my springers so know it's not me.

ATVB
    Bruce

2. Spoelie

Spoelie Pellet Head !

Club:
    Springfield
    I can help you with some 4,51 ft selects and jsb ,if remembered they were the preferred pellet in my pro-target.

3. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks mate, I'd appreciate that. 4.51 AA Field seemed best but still not amazing. Need to find a good batch of 4.51 as the wolf seemed to prefer them as well as one of the TX's. Speak I'm the week mate and hope your feeling better.

4. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Try using Brasso through the barrel on pull through,then finish off with a good barrel cleaner.There are a few good ones out there.
    As you are in Springfield ARC,have a chat with Pete Edwards or his sons.They used to shoot them and junior might still have his.
    The knowledge is strong in these ones it is. :D :rolleyes:.
    HERX77 .

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I have a Pro Target here, when doing grouping tests I noticed if the pellet was a little tighter in the breech the group opened up, so I shot the group only with the pellets that loaded easily, the tight ones were just shot off, end result was a 15mm c-c 10 shot group at 55yds with JSB Express!

These were in 4.52 on the tin but when I checked a sample most were 4.51 with about 1/3 4.52,and a couple in the 4.50 and 4.53 region, so I have come to the conclusion the barrel does not like a tight fitting head.

I will be sourcing some 4.51 batches soon for test to see if this supposition holds up!

6. rich

rich Active Member

^^ this.

My Pro-T did not like tight fitting pellets one bit.

One would think that sizing the pellets first would help, but it didn't.

Best pellets were the Exact Express, AKA Mosquito in years of yore.....

7. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Thanks guys. Will get some 4.51 ordered and try some express as I don't have any of these to test. The aa fields I tried were 51's and grouped the best! Still not great but way better than everything else. Will also invest in a vfg kit!

8. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Grrrrrrrr Intershoot don't sell 4.51 exspress

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Urggggh

bruce . i have not got one rifle that shoots 4.51s properly ? 4.52s . 4.53s yes some of these barrels like to be cleaned after about 50 shots , some never . i gave up on my old pro target . bought a 2002 anschutz . best thing i ever did . roughly the same price ??? HOLLY:)

10. rich

rich Active Member

As far as I know, Exact Express are only sold as 4.52.

The shape is quite a bit different from the plain Exact; it's a stubbier fatter pellet.

11. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I had an occasional flier from one of my barrels last winter that had always been brilliant, pulling it through didn't sort it, but scrubbing it with a brass brush and then pulling it through again got loads more muck out and it was back to being great again, must have had some debris in the grooves that a pull through could not shift.

if you try this make sure the brush is brass bristled as this is soft and will not scratch the bore and not coated steel, touch the bristles on a grind stone, if it sparks it is not brass!

Coincidently this barrel has always preferred 4.51's too although it is a barley twist not a Protarget.

12. BruceGill

BruceGill New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Just a quick update.

Out the the stock and chrono'd. 3fps spread over 10 shots, so all ok there lol.
    Turned power down to my preference of 11.2 with 8.4g pellets. It was up at 11.7 originally.

Bloody good clean of the barrel, way more than I've ever done before.

Back in the stock, check everything over and tighten everything down.

New tin of 4.51 AA Fields. 4 shots to zero, then one tiny tiny 5mm hole lovelyness
    this is only at 28 yards as it's as far as I have in the farm that's sheltered. But my god it's good

thanks for for everyone's help!!