Premier boosted scope

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by naimboy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. naimboy

naimboy New Member

Hi all allways fancied a 20 -50 version is it a wise choice as no back up available apparently or can they be sorted, thanks

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc

Good ones work well, Steve Franklin ( I believe) used his to win World Vets title this year as well as Swefta Champion, Dave Ramshead does ok in Ft with his. Tony Fouracres also does ok in Open class with his.

Just beweare when buying, there are probably less good ones for sale than ones that should be priced lower, or avoided!

3. naimboy

naimboy New Member

Oh so all leupold are not born equal thanks for reply mate

4. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Not the 20-50, others are usually more equal.

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    It must be close to 20 years since the last new 20-50 arrived in the UK, so any example you find is going to be at least that old.

Not to say that it won't work well, I have two and they are both excellent and as Simon said Tony Fouracres won Open class of the BFTA GP series using one of his, so my advice would be try before you buy, as there are some abused / knackered examples out there.

6. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

What are the tell tales Neil ?

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Usually an inability to range / focus consistently. Also a loose feel to the action of sidewheel and backlash.

Also look at the objective lens and take a close look at the ring that is used to adjust the parallax. Most 20-50's have been adjusted, especially the later VX3's, but if the slots in the locking ring are burred and mashed, be wary, because someone may have used their pet gorilla to help in the adjustment process.

I have not seen one, but there are also examples out there that are slightly 'foggy' which are probably worth avoiding.

Farington likes this.
  8. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Why the vx3 Neil you won’t find many of those I got mine between 16 or 17 years ago Dick at premier had missed placed my order for a vari-x3 so went to the later VX3 never had an issue with it I think Holly has it now I sold it to a guy who sold to Holly

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    By VX3 I meant Vari-x3. Some of them have a 'blind spot' where they will not focus at full mag at close range, usually around 20 yards.

You can work around it but people move the parallax to suit themselves, so they can have been adjusted more than some of the earlier models that did not need touching at all.

10. Mr H.

Mr H. I am not even a number.

Club:
    NARPA - OSS. - Harriers FTC. British Field Target Council - Pre BFTA
    I sold my 20-50 to Holly recently but it came from Richard Woods at MAD. It was Jennies scope which he bought new off Nick when they were doing FT. Truly Excellent scope - just that I upgraded to an L&S Ultra M1a boosted to 40x.

Mark