Practice Targets

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Yorkshiretea, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    For a while now I've been working on some practice targets that you could leave out (bolted with locking nut and out of reach) because there's times when I've got an hour or two and fancy doing a course but going down the club on my own putting out 30 targets will never happen midweek or on my jack jones. All made out of 3mm steel and with cheap replaceable parts. I'll do a video of them in action later. Oh yeah and you can bracket them as well as the centre of the kill is 110 from the bottom, someat for everyone!

They work really well, self set and get you match fit. Have a peep.

<iframe width="580" height="460" src="http://s125.photobucket.com/user/martinft/embed/slideshow/Targets"></iframe>

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Brilliant, targets. If you are thinking making some for sale, please let me know.

David

3. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Club:
    Redfearns... Thanks Guy's
    Great idea, do the kill areas swing back down after you hit them?

Regards

John

4. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    They do John, they also have a different tone when they are hit, you can hear the paddle rattle and see daylight if you stay on the gun.

5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy Member

Club:
    Redfearns... Thanks Guy's
    Think for somewhere you need to remove the targets midweek it a marvellous idea and certainly when we get a new club up north they could well be on the shopping list.

Regards

John

6. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Wasn't just that John, it was also practicing standers and targets high up in trees, kinda wanted GP or W/L conditions to practice on, plinking's fine but being able to move stuff around and having there for when you've got an hour is great.

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Lol, Arms dealer made our set a few years ago. great to have them out as practice target. We have 40mm re-setter plates, not sure of size but aprox 6 x 10 inch?

Yes, you get a dink when hitting the pate and flatter thud when the paddle is hit. I have become well "tuned" to the Thud, and since Gadget joined the dink sounds!

8. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Yeah the Thud and Rattle is rather rewarding Simon, Dink not so much :)

9. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Off to do a bit of market research on 3 different finishes, Matt, Glass and Hard Hammerite. Will post results later :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Good work Martin. I'll have some of these for Emley when you've settled the design tweaks:D...Wll have a chat on Sunday buddy.

11. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Been happy with the way the targets have been working since V3, these ones are V4's but painting them was a different ball game, the metal is really smooth and covered in oil, so we degreased and emery clothed before glossing but this was still happening!

[​IMG]

Which was no use to man nor beast really, so rather than try and mess around ourselves I got a coating company to do a pro job on them, pretty good results as well. The gloss (black) is hard to range on when the sun is shining so that's out. The Hard Hammerite, looks and feels good and is surprisingly good to range on but it's very difficult to see where you've landing when you miss.

Here's some pictures, targets tested at 25yds and 53yds. Going to go with a Matt Yellow and Black Kill on V5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Cheers Chris, it's been a long journey with them but really enjoyable, well apart from my face when V1 didn't do what I wanted :)

See you Sunday fella.

13. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Spot of footage from yesterday's session.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/419tbwgi2Q0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    They look really good.
    Just wondered if you painted the back of the paddle yellow / white / orange on the ones that you can see the paddle over the shoulder of the plate, when it hits the kill would it give a good visual "flash" too ?

Cracking targets though.
    Rift :)

15. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Cheers Rift, funny you should mention that :) We already working on something, should be ready by the time we do the next video.

16. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Bigger gap between faceplate and paddle, larger heavier paddle should stop the lucky splits and slow the paddle down after a hit so your sure it was a hit.

17. rich

rich Active Member

Rather than a hinged plate, could you turn the paddle into a spinner? A simple bracket riveted to the faceplate, a short piece of screwed rod and some nuts, and a round - or square for that matter - paddle fixed to a short length of tube that goes over the rod and is held captive with two locknuts.

I might try that idea myself. Easy enough to make the bits, not having a welder I'd need to braze the spinner to the tube.

18. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Yeah, I think further down the line I will probably look at this Conor, I wanted to build something that would be cheap for people and parts really easy to replace. Think I'm going to do a short run, see how they go and then perhaps do some more work on them next year but sound advice.

We got a full W/L set out at Anston plus some on the ranges for kneelers up tree's and standing shots etc, they work really well and it's great just nipping down, doing an hour and then going to work without having to set a single thing out :) and under match conditions.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  19. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Right, we've dived in, ordered another batch of targets that will be ready in 8-10 days. Thanks to everybody for the support, advice and kind words.

http://www.airgunshopper.co.uk/

20. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Going to be testing a new Pop Up & Over at the weekend, spot of clever 3D Printing with Bri

[​IMG]