Power

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by gavin hopps, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi
    Im wondering if anyone can help me out. Im womdering the max fps limit for 7.9 weight pellets?
    As yestaday at millride when i went through the chrono you would of thought i was using 8.4 weight pellets.
    thanks Gav

2. Shaun

Shaun Well-Known Member

Club:
    Harriers
    822 Gavin

Shaun

3. Deleted member 4175

Deleted member 4175 Non member

I think its 821 or 822 so basically stay below 820 ;)

4. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thanks shaun and pete.
    Now i will get the power around 818 then.

5. rich

rich Active Member

I see you are shooting an EV2. It might be worth checking the power at the end of a fill, when the pressure in the tube is close to reg pressure; my EV2 would climb in power at that point quite significantly. ;)

6. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    I went through the chrono near to the end of the course.
    Well i will tweek it then fire 60 shots off to see how it gos. As i alway fill between sillys and course as dont like dropping to far under 150 bar if i can help it.

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Check the gun at different power levels to see what shoots best.
    In my experience, running the gun just over 11ftlbs (around 800fps with 7.9s) makes it shoot a lot smoother than having it near the limit.
    And there is less chance of it drifting over, say on a hot day.

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Perhaps do a chrono string from you fill all the way down to settle your mind. With one gun I have it's shown it doesn't like 200 bar but will hold way down close to 100. But I'll always fill before the course.

Also test cock it and leave for a while then chrono and do a string. Ev2s are known to leak now and then meaning first shot can go low.

I'd go with Phils advice re 800. You have to give the rifle a lot more to get it up another 20 and it will kick more and use more air. If you slam it straight up to the limit then and pellet, gun or chrono variation will see you over. There is no perceivable benefit in being tight to the limit, around 800 is where all my express running rigs get set.

9. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Hillier has made AA Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Myself and Steve Lloyd were both low over Chrono yesterday, I would not take too much notice of it.
    I know my reading was about 15 fps lower than it should have read.
    I`m sure if I had got the end of my my closer as on our club pro chrono, I would have seen a different reading.
    It passed and on a Gp day that's all that counts.

When I used 7.9 in the Ev2, there was no difference to note in clicks or wind drift from 800 to 815. Setting above 815 is running the risk at a Gp with the variable chrono readings!.

10. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Yeah i think the chrono was having a day off yesterday, I went through at 735 with exact and my clicks were as normal. Not that they helped me much!

I'd think of the chrono on the course as a green light / red light thing instead of a number, as it can mess with your head.

Mart

11. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    800 fps all day long

People can become obsessed with power Gavin , set it at 800 then leave it be.
    As Phil said it will shoot nice and smooth.

12. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Aye, I always stay well under at 780 - 785 on 8.44 and I leave the gun in the sunlight to check it doesn't go over when setting up but I've had it as low as 764 at a GP and the clicks where fine. I think when you first start out it can be a proper worry for no reason.

13. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Worry

I would be more worried about traveling hundreds of miles then failing the chrono.
    When I used express 800 was more than enough to knock down targets .
    With Walters and Steyr rifles there is loads of adjustment not so much with an Ev. Unwind the grub screw fully and see what it's doing , don't be tempted to adjust the hammer.

14. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Winning score, chrono next to last lane and fail - how gutted would you be with a 150 journey home :)

15. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    The dreaded chrono

A Gp a few years back at anston someone failed the chrono after just a couple of lanes , I also shot with someone that shot all 25 lanes then failed the chrono.

16. scruff

scruff Member

Club:
    purley chase
    go with 800

hello gavin...set up for 800 and you will not go far wrong.....you do not need to run at full tilt to get the best out of a gun.

17. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Got it all done in a 60 shot string averging 801 so wasnt going to move anymore to get it on 800.
    Then refilled and shot 15 shots then left for ten mins and was still close to 800.
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Gav

18. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    800ish is a safe bet mate, gives room for any shift with heat or a dodgy chrono

Bri

19. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

When I used to use 7.9 Premiers that's all I had mine set to. It was always a smoother reaction compared to 815-820fps. Also the accuracy was better, not sure why but the groups were on average about 40% tighter at the lower speed.

Even my current 8.4s JSB pellets run at 770fps it gives a nice smooth response. Gives me plenty of space for themperature changes, last year the chrono readings and mine (using the cb625) where only a few fps different at 4 of the events.