power is less more?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by stuart owen, Jan 23, 2015.

1. stuart owen

stuart owen New Member

if i did not have a chrono i would be non the wiser,and be convinced my rifle is just under 12lb,say around 11.4lb.but it is running at 10.4lb.just to give an idea of what that means on the range in mill dots. at 10 yards 3 mill dots under at 15 yards 1 mill dot under at 25 yards cross hairs at 40 yards 1 mill dot at 50 yards 2.5 mill dots i am very happy with it.the question is would pushing the power up to 11.4lb make it any better,if so how or is 12lb just a limit and not a target.

2. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    You mentioned 6specific words,

"I am very happy with it"

If it snot broken don't fix it and you know your aim points then concentrate on your accuracy, more power won't make it any more accurate IMO.

4. stuart owen

stuart owen New Member

thanks matt i will get my head round it one day.

5. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

No probs, to start with pick the pellet you use, set the power to 10.5 and then set it to 11.5 and see the difference in trajectrory. It wont be very much :)

6. raygun

raygun Non member

The difference in power of 1FPE will not affect accuracy. If you drop it another 1FPE it will still not make it any less accurate.

What it will do is make range estimation more important. If you are using some form of range finder (LRF or scope) then a loopy trajectory will not matter.

If however you are using MK1 eyeball then a loopy trajectory is certainly a handicap unless you are fairly remarkable at range estimation.

ATB
    Ray.

7. stuart owen

stuart owen New Member

thanks ray,you put that very well any advantage i can get i will take as i want to give the pcp boys a run for their money some time in the future :) not going to change anything just yet though.