HFT Positions for HFT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by James Stockford, Mar 15, 2018.

1. James Stockford

James Stockford New Member

I spent 3 hours trying to find a comfortable kneeling position, something i regretted the day after! I don't have a hamster so struggled to get low enough without putting my elbow on my knee. A thick knee pad helped and I'm getting a glove but any other tips would be welcomed.

Also slightly confused with how much I can bend my back foot. I would ideally like to sit on it but believe this is against the rules?

2. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Your back foot can bend, as long as you keep 'laces down'. You aren't allowed to turn your foot sideways to sit on it, but you can sit on your heel.

For free kneeling shots, I have my rear leg at about a 45 degree angle from the target, and front leg/toes pointing just to the right of the target.
    Rear leg is then knee and toes on the ground, with a cushion underneath the ankle. Then I sit central on my rear heel (i.e heel in a*se crack). This actually helps get my torso down lower so I can have more of my forward arm rested on the forward thigh. Sounds odd but try it!

If you look up ABC of HFT on youtube there is a good video showing a good all round kneeling position. Everyone is a different size/shape though so you may have to adjust it to shoot you. I've been shooting HFT for a year now and still making massive adjustments to my positionals

3. James Stockford

Great thanks for the clarification. I have been watching ABC of HFT; Great videos, wish there was a Petes Farm a bit nearer to the Midlands. The Greyhound is a cracking spot mind.

4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Yes the Greyhound is a good club. If you are shooting HFT there are a few clubs in reasonable driving distance. Kingsley, Nomads, Furnace Mill, Misfits, Loughborough off the top of my head. If you stretch to 60-90 minutes drive there are loads. Between them you can find a course to shoot almost every weekend. Check the 'events' tab at the top of the page

5. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    If you've not already got one, a kneeling roll / bean bag is very useful, potentially saves a fair bit of discomfort

6. James Stockford

Thank you, I haven’t yet but looking out for some.