Ponty round 3 NEFT 30 or 40

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Steve Bowers, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi,
    First off like to thank all the Ponty crew who worked on a very wet Saturday to get the course ready for a very good shoot despite the short rain spell.

I put down YES to the proposal for a 40 target shoot and to all who put down NO I wish to point out that the time for the first session was only 20 minuets longer than for a 30 target shoot

!0 extra targets should extend the shooting time by 25% if we were to limit the shooter to 2 per peg this would reduce the time taken by 30% and as the pegs for the second session were no way filled I think that the over all time taken for a shoot should be about the same.

Also with a shoot such as ponty due to the time taken to walk from the last peg to the first pet a feeder lane on peg 1 would add 2 more shoots to a session without adding any time to the overall session time

Bearing this all in mind and as we all turn up to shoot at targets I think "the more the better."

The only down side I can see is the amount of time it takes to setup the a course or the limited space available at the clubs but as Ponty is one of the smallest of clubs in acreage and they managed to put up a very good course I don't see this to be some thing that can't be over come with a little thought.

As this is going to go to a vote in the near future please post you thoughts and let your NEFA rep know your feelings and what you want.

Steve:shot:

2. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
    As Steve has said above the vote weather to increase to 40 shots or stay at 30 will take place at the NEFTA meeting 11-01-2016.. Your club rep will be voting based on how you vote as a club so please discuss it as a club so that your rep can cast the vote correctly..

3. GTC

GTC Member

thought it had already been voted on tday dave with the yes or no on the score cards, is that not the democratic way? from the looks of the piles of cards on table it looked like an overwhelming no vote. i

4. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Seems like some clubs have already reached there decision without even asking all its members

5. DaveRobinson

Club:
    Anston
    No Graham the cards were to get an idea of what people thought. The democratic way is with the voting system we have which is club votes at the NEFTA meeting if we just did it like that it could raise objection from anyone if we didn't follow what has been previously documented.

6. DaveRobinson

Club:
    Anston
    Cant see how any clubs can have made a decisions about it as yet as clubs will have to discuss with their members who will then instruct the NEFTA rep from that club what there vote will be.

7. GTC

GTC Member

so if the club reps are directed to a no vote is that the end of it or will there be another lil twst?

8. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Was informed today that there's at least 4 clubs that have reached a decision.

9. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    30 or 40

Hi,
    I left at about 12.30 and at that time the "yes " seam to have had the upper hand but there were all the second session shooter to vote.
    All I'm asking is for all the shooter to conceder the options before speaking to their reps.
    Not sure how the vote will be conducted, does vote go on the shooters or one vote per club, makes a big difference.

This is why I brought the subject up looks like over 60 people have looked at this thread but only you have put your comments forward.

Come on all you shooter let yourself be heard and lets get what the majority of shooter want !:shot:

10. DaveRobinson

Club:
    Anston
    As with any decisions if the club as a whole instructs its rep to vote no.. then that's how the rep votes at the meeting.. If majority of clubs vote no then it will stay at 30 shots. end of story.. At the outset the original vote to move to 40 was tied as no firm decisions could be made based on some clubs not been sure about capacity and how it would work. It was suggested to trial it and get some feed back and then take the vote again to put it to bed. So no twists this is the procedure to follow.

11. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Thanks to Ponty for having a go, properly enjoyed it even tho the wind had me over.

I'm a big fan of 40 targets simply because it helps people in lower grades pull back from a bad start, with 30 targets it's pretty much over for you if you have a bad start. Plus it would be nice to get a bit of movement into the NEFTA grades, we often have more people going down than up when compared to say MFTA, not really a move that supports a future of the sport!

So, 40, YES.

12. Air Armed

Air Armed MFTA Secretary

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Unfortunately, the number of people shooting the winter league is only a fraction of the actual club's membership so representation of a clubs members on a 30 or 40 winter league shoot will never be reflected completely.

That being said, the procedure Chairman Mr Robinson outlined, is always the only true way to pass a vote of any kind within a whole region. Whilst it was interesting to gauge the feelings of the shooters at Pontefract today, it is never going to be accepted as a rule change as it hasn't had full clubs membership approval.

It's also a shame because I really enjoyed the 40 shot course and had a blinder! :D

#justsayin'

Paul

13. GTC

GTC Member

and if the vote had gone the other way? il bet a pound t a pinch o dog poo we would be having 40 shots for rest of the season, the winter league to me has always been relaxed n friendly a kind of an introduction to FT, i rekon the courses have got harder in the last 8 or 9 years n for the better but if im having a growler am wet through freezing n the light is fading n ive got an extra 10 shots to do it will defo take allot of the enjoyment out of it for me, most of the shooters i spoke to tday thought this way but not all i admit. and what about the shooters who's guns will need a charge of air for the extra 10 shots, at the end of the day by the looks of the piles of cards on't table it was an overwhelming no vote and should stand.

14. Steviek

Steviek Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Pretty much agree with Yorkie Teaboy on this one.

I prefer the 40 targets as a) it makes it worth getting up early and b) gives you a chance to redeem yourself after a crap start :D

Good shoot today - really enjoyed it.

First time at Ponte - cracking course!

15. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I thought that today's unofficial opinion poll should give all club reps a very strong indication on the feelings of the shooters they represent.

I'm sure we could provide a breakdown to each club rep of how their club members voted in the unofficial poll to help them to represent those views at the next AGM/EGM of the committee.

Since this decision only affects those shooters who take part in the Winter League (about 10% of the membership of NEFTA Clubs) I thought this poll was a very democratic and pertinent method to gauge the general feeling of those the decision directly affects.

To add some balance to this thread, I'll add some of my thoughts on the subject.

I was initially in favour of the idea, the main benefit being to allow more shooters to take part in our Winter League events, but I have some concerns.

The main concern being that I think there is a serious danger that the Winter League will move even further away from one of its main intended purposes, and that is to encourage new shooters ( the other 90% of the membership ) to try their hand at competition shooting.

My concern is that some NEFTA clubs will lose sight of the main aim of the Winter League and use the opportunity to add an additional 10 GP difficulty targets to a course instead of adding 10 targets to encourage new shooters to the sport.

My other concern is the length of time it takes to shoot 40 targets.

For NEFTA rounds that are oversubscribed and require feeder lanes, there is a good chance that 40 targets may actually help to speed things along as Steve pointed out in the original post.

However the majority of league events aren't oversubscribed, and in those cases, clearly shooting 40 targets is going to take longer than shooting 30 targets.

If the intention is to try to limit lanes to 2 shooters in order to speed up 40 target courses, the sums don't add up, since the intention is to allow more to take part in oversubscribed events, 20 lanes times 2 shooters is just 40 shooters, whereas 15 lanes times 3 shooters is 45 shooters.

Although it might be true that 20 lanes with 2 shooters per lane might not take much longer than 15 lanes with 3 shooters per lane, it obviously cannot be true that 3 shooters per lane on a 20 lane course takes less time than 3 shooters per lane on a 15 lane course.

To summarize - I believe it will take longer to shoot the course for the majority of league events, it will increase the workload of the hosting club and ultimately it will detract from one of the core aims of the Winter League (encouraging new shooters to take part).

Needless to say, I was one of the majority NO votes in today's impromptu poll of shooters :)

16. Deleted member 4175

Deleted member 4175 Non member

well i definitely preferred the 40 course was much better and as has been said gives you a chance to recover if a bad start

17. Air Armed

Air Armed MFTA Secretary

Club:
    Castle FTC

18. SIMONH

SIMONH Giddy Kid

I agree with Brians post in that today's vote was the most accurate and democratic way

We must consider that nights are still drawing in and Nefta shoots generally have higher attendance than Mfta

I therefore voted NO today

19. eyewitnesss

eyewitnesss Government Spy

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Must repeat what Brian said earlier :-

The main concern being that I think there is a serious danger that the Winter League will move even further away from one of its main intended purposes, and that is to encourage new shooters ( the other 90% of the membership ) to try their hand at competition shooting. Was there also a point that all targets were 40mm, again to bring along new shooters into competition shooting (We seem to have lost our way somewhere)

20. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I've never really understood the "bring new shooters in" argument because if that's what the aim I don't think it's working.

I've shot in other regions for over a year now, every other Sunday and can say with 100% certainty that NEFTA courses are some of the hardest courses I've ever shot and continue to be so, maybe you should reverse the question.

I agree with what Brian is saying about using the extra 10 targets to stop AA clearance, that won't encourage anyone but those that are hungry to better themselves.