POI change when kneeling

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Pauly5, May 6, 2019.

1. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    I am after a bit of advice here. I have found that I shoot low when kneeling. For example at 30 m sitting my poi is bang on, then kneel for the same shot, with same turret settings and poi about 20 mm low.
    I haven't had this before. I have tweaked my stance a little of late and am guessing its all to do with my head position. Scope is a Leupold comp 45 x 45 on a HW97.
    Thanks,
    Paul.

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Probably a bit of change of grip as well. Do you hold the rifle at the same place for both sitting and kneeling?
    Bet bet is just to aim at 12 o clock for kneelers...;)

3. miketowler

miketowler Active Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    That’s a springer, u must hold the gun same for all shots

4. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

I shoot HFT not FT but get a similar thing. Going from prone to kneeling its almost impossible to hold the gun in the same way. A natural kneeling position for me puts the POI much higher for kneelers.
    What I've done is move my hands around and played with different positions until the POI matches prone.
    I would say its 99% going to be your hold and not the scope.

Pauly5 likes this.
  5. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    I'm starting to think it's the hold. Ive shot springers for a while now, but due to more practice and change of technique I have become more accurate with my positionals and probably just didn't notice that poi shift before. I will play around with the grip. I know I brace the gun back against my shoulder when kneeling, but sitting, the gun sits in a balanced position.
    Thanks.

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    i find my POI is approx 15mm higher at 35 yards when kneeling compared to prone. I suspect it's down to head position/cheek weld. IIRC correctly i didn't notice this problem when shooting FT so the difference from sitting to kneeling may not have the same effect as prone to kneeling. I would say it's a hold issue.

Darron likes this.
  7. Nomads HFT

Nomads HFT Well-Known Member

As the rifle recoils, it wants to turn about its centre of gravity, which is below the axis of the piston, so the muzzle tends to rise, the butt to fall, in both cases, by a tiny amount, but enough to move POI.

By bracing the butt against your shoulder when kneeling, you restrict the recoil and hence the amount by which the muzzle rises (lowering POI); moreover, the muscle of your shoulder stores potential energy as the butt pushes against it during recoil, which is returned as kinetic (moving) energy after the recoil has reversed to forward surge. It is during surge, when the butt wants to rise, the muzzle fall, that the pellet exits the muzzle.

The best workaround if you can is to relax your shoulder muscles, so they offer less resistance to the recoil, and store lese energy to add to surge.

subaru swift, Adam and Cooper_dan like this.
  8. Cooper_dan

Jim - nail - head

On my butt pad I use self adhesive skateboard tape to make it extra grippy. That way I never need to brace the butt in my shoulder as the tape takes care of any potential slippage

nyamazan likes this.
  9. Nomads HFT

I like the deeply concave Bisley adjustable recoil pad, which locates on the shoulder with no pressure, Dan.

Here's the recoil from one of my TX200s, one shot with the rifle free to recoil, the other pressed hard against my shoulder, to exaggerate the effect on recoil.

Recoil free and shoulder.jpg .

nyamazan and Cooper_dan like this.
  10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't see it, but i have quite a loose hold.

11. Cooper_dan

Thats the butt bad that tillys put on my new stock. I'm quite hopeful it will make a difference

12. Nomads HFT

I'm sure it will, Dan. Not only is it concave, but it's 'grippy'.

13. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    The butt plate and shoulder fit is an oft-overlooked item. Flatter pads need to be pulled into the shoulder more to support the weight of the rifle, unless the front hand is at the balance point, which I’ve never found to be the most stable or accurate. So a more concave shape and grippy material, or a full hook in FT.

I have a theory that the lower hook part of a butt hook can help here too. Yes it helps consistently locate the rifle in the shoulder but I think in some cases it also supports some of the weight in folds of jacket between torso and arm, while allowing the rifle to move back under recoil unimpeded. I think this is one reason why I always wanted to shoot springer in my ancient green anorak (as waterproof as a sieve) and didn’t like other jackets. The padding and the looseness of the fabric was part of the package.

However I have to say switching to a Benke gimp jacket has been a revelation. I thought it would just help with disciplines but it’s reduced those wayward shots that seem to have unexpected recoil reaction. The grippiness and the consistency are key.

14. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Same here. They are the softest, grippiest, most concave butt pads out there.
    Granted they look poop until you paint the backing plates but they work very well indeed.

Jim, have you spoken to Dan about our findings yet? And the layout of his stock?

I've also found the angle of the buttpad, from the vertical position can have an effect on the recoil and sight picture.

15. tillygti6

Sorry, should say, has Dan spoken to you about our findings?

16. Nomads HFT

I don't recollect Dan going into detail about his stock, but I have got a mind like a colander.

I agree about the angle of the recoil pad having an effect.

17. Cooper_dan

I mentioned it in passing but not in detail. I'll be using it at the recoil championship so I'll tell you then. Some interesting findings though. Some possibly general for springers, some maybe specific to me. Very confident this will improve my scores/consistency

MickyFinn and subaru swift like this.
  18. tillygti6

Ah so weve meandered away from the original question on the post...

I'd expect it to be mostly hold related, it would be quite hard to induce that sort of 20mm error via head position /parallax error, without noticing the ret blacking out, or blurring.

19. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Interesting little meander away, but talk of jackets and the tactile feedback does raise another factor. I have started using a shooting jacket which has more stiffness than normal clothing. The jacket overall has helped vastly, due to the "core support" it gives me, but as Nomads described, it probably adds to the potential recoil effect with the contact point on my shoulder.

20. Pauly5

Pauly5 Member

Club:
    Just an update on this. I upgraded to a Maestro hook. Just one link and small hook. Absoltely love it, but today while practicing I had no poi shift while kneeling. I think my problem was due to the fit of the previous hook. It was longer.