Platinum or Steyr?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by wayne509, Feb 22, 2011.

1. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Trying to decide which rifle to buy next to have a bash at HFT. All my daystates have been good and I do like the platinum but feel it is time for a change and figure a Steyr 110 would do nicely.

Any opinions on any of these guns? Which would you buy and why?
    I know some are not keen on the daystate electronics but I don't really see that as a negative due to previous experience.

The main thing putting me off the Platinum is loading the single shot tray. I find it really fiddly. I suppose the balance to this is that it can be used with the mag but not sure the mag would fit with the scope as low as i can get it.

What do you reckon guys, Steyr or Platinum?

2. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    steyr's love'm

3. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Not got a spare one to sell do you? :D
    Must be good as nobody wants to sell theirs :mad:

4. Pete m

Pete m New Member

Club:
    Greyhound
    You need to find someone who used both to get a fair comparison I have never tried a Steyr but I love my Platinum

5. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    The problem is you will get the Daystate shooters saying get the Platinum and the Steyr shooters tell you to get a steyr, only way to decide is try and shoot both.

Pete

6. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Yeah guys I realise each have their fans but I'm hoping they point out faults with the opposition :D ( I don't intend this to turn into an argument though )

I'm liking the look of the pellet loading on the Steyr. I'm liking the videos online to show whatever you need to strip the Steyr. I like the way the external power adjuster can be fitted. I'm not liking the way I have to pay extra to get an after market quick fill. And it looks sooo cold on the hands with all that metal.

Daystate .... I like the laminate stocks. I said earlier I like the electronics..... well thats true but I have forgotten to charge the battery before and had a whole day ruined so wouldn't miss that.

Hmm decisions

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Choice...

I had an Airwolf which i really liked.
    Bought it in .22 for hunting and got into HFT so had it converted to .177 by DS.
    Its power was a bit low so they sorted that too. Had great service from DS, and other than me forgetting to charge the battery twice (charge lasts so long you do forget) it was great.
    Im left handed so stock was ideal too.
    At Xmas i bought a second hand Steyr Lg 110 Ft with HP stock.
    Without going into detail i had it tuned and a few bits replaced by a local Steyr expert, and now its fantastic.
    Im no natural shooter..but my scores are now improving almost every comp where as they were static.
    Haven't picked up the wolf since.
    I know the Wolf is different to the Plat..but still an electronic Daystate.
    I have tried a Plat and it felt "familiar".
    Try them both as has been said...i am sure either would be a fantastic choice.

Regards
    Alex

8. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Therein lies the problem. Although our club is great.... it is quite small and everyone seems to shoot AA410's and rely on me to provide the different guns to try:D. One of the members just bought a platinum which I have had a wee shot with and quite liked but there isn't much chance of anybody turning up with a Steyr in the near future:eek:

The more I think about it.... I really do fancy a change so Steyr it is.

Thanks guys

DECISION IS MADE.......... now to try and find one:confused:

9. silver fox

silver fox New Member

you can always tell when someone fires a steyr you can hear it in the next county:) i know they can be silenced and when they are they're quiet, but not many do, i know from our club steyr's are always in bits being cleaned, not so with the daystates,and if you have any probs with daystate the factory is only in the midlands,as for forgetting to charge up, well that happens to us all, just have to get in a routine once a month.

10. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Decision made wayne?

Personally having shot both and had a mk4 amongst my many daystates but loved my Steyr.

If i was buying today for an HFT gun and I couldn't get another walther it would def be a steyr.

pop along our place mate and you will be able to get a bash with most things, Steyr, walther etc, no platinums though.

I would reckon which one fits the best would be the one to go for.

Give me a phone if you want to come along to Tayside.

11. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

We'll convert you one day mate :D:D:D
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bias in my views but 7+yrs of Steyr ownership and I've only had one breakdown that wasn't fixable by myself says a lot about the reliability of a well maintained Steyr:) The basic strip and clean procedure is very simple and takes 30-45min and ensures that when travelling 200+ miles to a comp that everything is perfect, routine maintenence pays off with any gun Steyr, Daystate or otherwise:)

I've only had limited experience of a couple of Platinums and my personal opinion is the standard stock doesn't feel quite right, which others agree with and have had theirs modified. The gun also seems quite lively to shoot after shooting a Steyr, a definate sensation when the shot is fired, although not a bad thing I found it quite noticable. Although I'm sure they are superbly accurate, and potentially very reliable, I personally couldn't bring myself to own a gun which couldn't 100% rely on and thats why I stick with the Steyr...reliable, accurate, adjustable, simple to maintain...What more could you want from a gun? :)

All the best
    Vince

UKAHFT Steyr team captain
    Long term Steyr owner
    Steyrs number one fan
    Cut me in half and It'd say Steyr inside....:D:D:D

12. silver fox

silver fox New Member

:D buy one for my birthday and i'll be convinced vin:D

13. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I'm probably one of the few that can help you here. I shot a Platinum for a season and got to 5th in the UK's and 6th in the worlds. the 2 years before i shot a Steyr and also had a bit of success (UKAHFT champ 2008). I've now gone back to the Steyr.

The Platinum was very pellet fussy but once i started using JSB exact express the groups were great, in fact one of the best grouping rifles i have ever owned. The rifle was well balanced but had a slight kick on firing that you had to be wary of when resting the rifle directly against a hard surface. It took me a while to settle with the Platinum but i had no problems at all in the year i owned it. With the Platinum you can't work on it yourself and the electronics are always in the back of your mind. I also used to cluck about how much charge it had and kept wondering if it would go flat on me half way round a course. It never did and i got into a routine of re-setting the shot counter every time i charged it and when the counter got to 500 shots i would recharge and the re-set the counter.

The one thing that used to niggle me was how much wind the Platinum would take. I thought it was prdictable to a certain level then when the wind gusted the pellet movement was excessive to the point where it was a blind guess....maybe that had something to do with the lighter pellets though???

The Steyr is one of those rifles that just "fits" whenever i shoot it. It's easy to work on and now i've a reg checker on the way there isn't anything i can't do on my rifle. Accuracy is as good as my Platinum was although i think the Platinum would just hedge it with slightly better grouping, but not by much. I've shot the Steyr in all sorts of weather and i've only had it go wrong on me once. It needed a new reg which, bearing in mind it's an older LG100 (barley twist barrel) i didn't think was too bad, especially as HP changed the reg for free. The barley twist barrel is not pellet fussy at all but my friends that have the LG110's have to do a bit of pellet testing to find the right balance. One friend swears by 4.51 JSB's and another is using JSB exact express 7.9gr. The power is a doddle to set (external power adjuster) and once set stays where you want it to be. In my case 805fps with 7.9gr exact express.

So.....the only reason i switched back to the Steyr was the ease of maintenance. There's not a lot between them for fit, balance and accuracy. Oh, one important thing i forgot to mention...the trigger on the Steyr is much better than the Platinum, IMHO i don't think you can beat the feel of a mechanical trigger.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  14. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

where are you???????

Hi Wayne,by Steves posts you are in Scotland I think,but if you are anywhere near MAD you are welcome to come to our Open shoots the first Sunday in any month for a try out with the guns .
    We have 3 Plats and about 12 Styers that members shoot so I;m sure in wont be a problem trying them out and getting the feel of what is best for you .
    cheers Ian

15. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys and offers of using your guns.

I'm pretty sure it is a Steyr I want to try next. Although I like the Daystates..... I fancy a change

Chris...I have shot your old Platinum and will very probably be shooting it again tonight at the club ;)

Steve... a visit to your club is on the cards mate as soon as I get something sorted gun wise.

16. dia6olo

dia6olo Member

I'm currently shooting a platinum, I can't really fault it other than it doesn't really fit me particularly well. my mate shoots a styer 110 which was originally mine and I get to shoot it regularly.

I have to admit there is a lot about the Styer I like, it feels nice to shoot but more importantly the fit just feels nice to ME whereas with the platinum which probably has the edge over this particular styer in terms of accuracy and consistency not to mention dealing with temperature shifts better is not a good fit for me :(

17. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    steyrs matey dont temp shift if u float barrel at front,also its scopes that move not guns had my steyr down to -6 this winter and no movement just the scope didnt like the cold gun only droped 10fps in the cold,i think both guns do the same job it wot suits you for your shooting fella

18. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Ive recently owned a Daystate MK4 in a Sheffield Custom 1000 stock, the gun fitted very well and was capable of very tight groups with 7.9 Mosquito pellets.
    I also have a Steyr 110ft which I find nearly as tight at grouping as the MK4 agian using Mosquito 7.9s
    But Im happier using the Steyr in the heat of competition, no chance of double loading pellets, and it aint going to go flat on me.
    But its always best to test before you splash the cash.:)

19. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Me, try before I buy! That would be far too sensible.
    I am very impatient and usually adopt the 'buy it blind' approach then worry about the consequences. :)

Seeing as I can't find any for sale, it looks like I might have time to try one somewhere:(

20. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Peter bronxe on here has a platinum for sale

Gary