Piston class FT.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by cb2591, Sep 18, 2010.

1. cb2591

cb2591 Member

At the moment i intend to shoot FT with my Prosport and a T35 scope. My prosport has an adjustable butt pad,im gonna make some sort of hamster, and i will fit a Vmach kit. Thats it , apart from a relube and trigger polish. I assume there are other piston class on this forum. I would be interested to know which rifle you use and any tuning tips.Now will i get any replies.......:shot:

2. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

BFTA FT piston class is unique, in that Whiscombes and TX SR's etc are included along with any other springer/gasram.

So really it's a NON pcp class.

Not aware of any other comparable class in the UK.
    In UKAHFT the above guns compete with PCP's.
    In UK springer comps, they would have their own class, in enough turned up.

In terms of UK springer and UKAHFT, which i shoot, the tuning of guns varies a lot, here's a few examples.

Out of the box as manufactured.
    Home tuned, with kits by Bonnie&Clyde/V-Mach/Maccari.
    Home engineered internals by people with access to lathes/mills.
    Guns rebuilt by, Bonnie&Clyde/V-Mach/Venom and others.
    Guns built by keen shooters for themselves and friends who tinker as a hobby.

Basically all this tuning is really blueprinting the gun, and invoves minimising the tolerances and using quality lubrication.

For instance, your Prosport.
    The delrin circlips, most would have them hand machined to ensure a perfect fit of THAT guns piston and comp tube, the piston seal would be sized so that the piston would fall down the comp tube when you took your finger off the port, all trigger sears would be polished, good quality lubes would be used sparingly, and a spring that had polished square ends with maybe thrust washers, and delrin guides.
    Some may even have Ally pistons made, so that you can run a weeker spring to reduce the recoil.

HTH

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think most people who shoot Piston, shoot what they get on best... as said, there's recoiless piston rifles allowed in the class, but I don't think we've seen any this year.

Off the top of my head Duckhunter, Jamesy and JamesO, Mark Fisher are shooting or have shot springers this year... Nick Murphy is the champion, and will have no doubt fettled his prosport to make it what he wants, and i'm sure the others have tweaked but tuning only really adds smoothness and sharpness to the rig and perhaps makes the recoil a little nicer, but in the equation of you and the rifle and the skills needed for FT, it's a small % detail.

Common rifles at the moment are the 97/77's, tx200's and prosports. SR's and whizzers do make an appearance now and then, but for a while, the 'recoiless' rifles haven't been seen that much.

In the right hands, they're just as capable as PCP's...

I'll probably be using a 97k in the winter league... that's been vmach'd.

4. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    Ooooooohh...... tempting :D:D

5. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I use a relatively new, that's to say current 26mm piston model HW97K, DIY V-MACH kit fitted which includes a mainspring with matched top hat and guide, piston seal and some washers for adjusting the power. The trigger unit has been stripped, polished and then re-lubed and a straight blade fitted, i have a custom made stock fitted with approx two and a half pounds of lead added to the butt. A bushnell 8-32x40 elite on top in a one piece adjustable sportsmatch mount. Shoots prems.
    I had my Pro-sport tuned by V-mach, nice thing but i honestly couldn't tell the difference. If i was doing the same thing again i'd forget the tune and spend the money on a stock.:)

6. Magic Bus

Magic Bus New Member

Club:
    Cromer Air Rifle Club
    I'll be using a bog standard full length MK3 TX in the spring gun round of the Winter League. I don't know if Air Arms have made any changes but this one goes off nicer than other MK3's I have owned. The internals are standard but the gun has a fairly snappy shot release.

7. cb2591

cb2591 Member

I have a 97 KTH with a Vmach diy kit fitted. Not as well balanced as Prosport. Im beginning to think you are correct. Gonna Vmach my Prosport myself and then look to find a suitable stock. The standers are difficult due to the shallow fore end. But ,i must admit im getting better,think its all about practise.I still consider getting a PCP for FT, but im sure i can do well in the piston class.

8. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I owned my Pro-sport for a while before getting it tuned so i was used to it and the way it felt, when done i couldn't tell the difference. I modded the stock myself to raise the cheeckpiece but the forend was still to shallow, espescially for upwardly angled shots, like i said, personally...if i was doing the same again i'd invest in a stock and forget tuning where the pro-sport and v-mach are concerned.:)

9. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Ok,anyone with an FT stock for an AA Prosport for sale pm me ,lol.

10. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Currently building a custom HW77 for FT, stocks been modded round the pistol grip to suit my big hands, adjustable comb on the butt, hamster sized for my build and a adjustable butt pad!
    Barrel is cropped from 18 inch to 15.5 and an air stripper made up with underlever latch, internals are being modded with a 25mm piston running on bearings in a 26mm compression tube and V-Mach spring seal kit!

probably wont hit booger all it though, im getting old!:p

11. cb2591

cb2591 Member

Please keep me posted.Like to know how you get on.It would be an idea to start a springer tuning section,where this sort of info could be displayed and a discussed. Or would that be a no no.:)

12. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Yeah no worries, I did the bearings for the piston this afternoon, need to order a 26mm compression tube from chambers now and I can then assemble the working parts for test!