Pistol fun

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Lee67, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    After having my first go in the pistol comp on Sunday at thorndell, with a borrowed brocock( cheers Dave)... And not doing too bad IMO 5/10:D..today I bought a Brocock Grand Prix and scope, ready for some pistol action...just a quick question what zero should I go for?? 10/15/20/25???;)

Attached Files:

2. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I'd start with a ten yard zero and see what your trajectory looks like at 15, 20, 25.
    I zeroed the Steyr at 11 yards (10M) as that flattened it out a bit between 10 and 20 (i.e. less hold-under at 15 yards)
    Chairgun is really useful for playing with alternate zero points once you've worked out the drop on the range.

Chances are if the targets aren't stupidly small you can aim dead on from 10-20 yards.

3. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I'm interested in having a go at HFT for pistols but I'm not sure if my pistol is powerful enough to drop a paddle on a target at 25 yards. I've got an HW75 which gives out about 2.8 FT/lbs. I've had a go in my garden and it did seem to struggle at 25yrds to drop a gamo knock down!

Any ideas?

By the way, zero at 10yrds for me!

4. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    HW75 is more than accurate enough and a great trigger. It should knock down most of them but there will be the odd bigger target, maybe leaning forward, at 20+ yards that it'll just dink, unfortunately. I'm speaking here about the style of targets we use in NEFTA: lollipop style or silhouette where the whole shape falls flat.

If using knockdowns with kill zones, Gamo targets take a fair bit of knocking down (IIRC about 4 ft.lbs). Nockovers should be a lot better. TBH putting a course out for pistols using unmodified Gamo targets isn't really on as having a full power pistol will be a very big unfair advantage.

But, just take it along and have a go.

5. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    lee i though you had a pistol oh sorry its your small rifle:D:D:D

6. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Glad u said rifle :D:eek:

7. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    HFT for Pistols with GAMO Targets, man it would be non-stop whistles!!!!

8. hotversion

hotversion Member

Nice pistol i had a gp super 6,if you do a dit ov fetling on the post you can cant the trigger over to left or right,i was told aprox 15yard.

9. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Did a quick zero at 10 yards..and was hitting targets out to 20 yards no bother...wasn't happy with scope, so bought a red dot today to try that...

10. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Cheers Adam...I'll have a go at a pistol HFT course and see how I go, but I do agree with you about the targets and it's good that they are designed to be able to drop that bit easier, for pistols which are down a bit on power

11. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Try to mount your red dot as low as possible so you don't have so much hold over at close range.

Those close targets can be very tricky if you don't.

12. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Yep it's nice and low;)