Pigs ear & HFT ?!

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by skipper, Apr 21, 2009.

1. skipper

skipper New Member

Hi folks,
    Would like to peck a few brains, years and years ago i bought a 'pigs ear' for a scope used it once and then took it off and it has gathered dust ever since.
    Today i had a bit of time on my hands and thought id give it another go, i found it very different to when i first used it and quite 'good' this was just pointing it around at home etc , i found a little 'scope eye 'after a while but apart from that what problems have HFT shooters got with them actually on the course?

regards

Ollie

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I always use one for FT as it helps cut out stray light & makes rangefinding easier plus there are only really three head positions in FT.

In HFT I never use one as the nature of the sport means you have a constantly changing head position which requires you to alter the angle & position of year head in relation to your cheek piece. This often means you are either forcing the pig ear away or positioning your head incorrectly, when I did use one I found it induced more parallax error in HFT so now I don't use one.

3. GMF

GMF Non member

wot he said ;)

Glynn

4. skipper

skipper New Member

Thanks chaps that'll do me :)

Sound advise from sound people cheers ! :)

Ollie

5. nibbley-uk

nibbley-uk Dirty Daz

I have used one for a couple of years in hft and although im not the best shot in the world its not done me any harm.

6. Feral

Feral New Member

I didn't use one on my Viper as it whited out nice and early. I've found it does help with my sniper as I was struggling more to stay consistent... works for me but we're all different.

7. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Always used one on my mtc mamba for HFT, i find it easier than not using one..

8. richardio123

richardio123 Member

Few years back people were fighting over them when they came up for sale!!!!! :eek:

9. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I always hated them when shooting FT, didn't like the feel of them against my face.

But, recently tried one for HFT and quite like it for getting the head alignment more consistent. Horses for courses.:)

10. Feral

Feral New Member

I've just swapped from the floppy Bisley one to the D+G from BAR, much prefer the D+G so far.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Much the same as FT then. Some like them, some don't, and some people are happy with some makes over others.

I think mystiff bisley one is coming off the springer... too much of it comes back into the face on recoil. Might play with the softer pigs ear.

12. skipper

skipper New Member

Was having a chat to Ripley sniper (Andy) in work last night about Pig ears (sorry in Andys words a scope enhancer :D ) and HFT and came across what could be a slight problem.....

..... i was contemplating using the Pig ear for most of the shots but might require removing it for some of the more difficult angled targets and then putting it back on , now would this be classed as scope tampering?? as you are not allowed to adjust your scope once you start !!!

Ollie

13. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

You cannot remove them during the course of fire mate, that's why I don't use one as the high shots are very difficult with one on & you induce parallax error trying to see the target.

14. skipper

skipper New Member

Thanks Pete, it was those high shots i had in mind.

Ollie

15. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    pigs ear

Ollie pigs ear or scope maximizer (is what I call em) Lou will still beat you !!!!!!!!and I am going to try youR HFT this weekend at SHEPRETH

Last edited: May 2, 2009