Picking a PCP

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by ITF, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ITF

ITF New Member

Club:
    Woodland valley AGC
    Evening lads ,
    My 1st post, so please be gentle ! Lol
    On a similar vein to UpWinds Post "returning to FT" but not wanting to high jack the thread,
    I wanted to hear back from you seasoned shooters familiar to the Euro manufacture's and get some input pro's /Con's on the following PCP's
    Fws
    Anschuts
    Walther
    Steyr

I'm Currently happily reading through the back pages in order to make a more informed decision when the times right. So my apologies for a possible "done to death" Thread.
    But it seemed a good opportunity to interact and get up to date views
    Ry

2. ome177

ome177 New Member

My limited experience has taught me that going to a club and trying different guns, while speaking to the best shooters is the best route in making the right choices.

3. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

4. ITF

ITF New Member

Club:
    Woodland valley AGC
    Certainly some sound advice , I'll be acting on for sure.
    My post being partial aimed at those whom already own such models and seeing what their experience of maintenance is like? from my own experiences , I'm much more happier with an Airgun that I can possibly resolve an issue/service myself and learn about . Rather than having to send off each time ,being non the wiser! But should there be an issue beyond my understanding , what sort of aftermarket back up is there?
    I'm a southpaw shooter, which normally means slim pickings in the 2nd market lol.
    Would I be right to assume a Aluminium framed stock could be converted ?
    I've managed to have a closer look at some of the models thanks to friendly club members . Does anyone in the southwest shoot a Walther Dommie and mind me looking/chatting as I've never seen one
    Ry

5. rich

rich Active Member

If you want to pop up to Shebbear again some time I can lend you a left handed Hammerli AR 20 to go round the FT course with. Not the HFT as it's got a 35x scope on top.....!

Also try an Airwolf set up for a left hander, ideal for HFT. In fact I used the Airwolf for FT for a few outings last year, all it needed was a dedicated stock.

6. ITF

ITF New Member

Club:
    Woodland valley AGC
    That's very generous of you rich

7. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    Hi Ryan

Were you at the SWEFTA shoot at Shebbear recently, as I understand a few visitors from Woodlands attended.

Your invite by Rich to attend Shebbear would be a good starting point as Rich is very knowledgeable and will give you sound and experienced advice! ;) It's always better to try before you buy! :)

I should be at the next SWEFTA league shoot at Dartmoor on 27th April and will have my EV2 mk4 with me.

I must admit, I have always been an Air Arms shooter and should you be able to attend, you are more than welcome to find me for a chat. You can take a look at my EV2's and even have a go if you wish after the competition.

If you attend, I'm sure you will will see other makes being used throughout the day and I pretty sure that people will be only too willing to talk to you about their guns and give you help and advice.

You have mention in your first post all the main guns that are use in FT competition's, including Air Arms! They are all very good, and are quite capable of winning the major competitions. ;);)

8. ITF

ITF New Member

Club:
    Woodland valley AGC
    Sherbbear

Afternoon Tony,
    Yea that was our unruly lot ,hope we weren't too bad . had a cracking time :)
    So much so that I decided to do a last minute "road trip" to Avon Hawks, Christine was a absolute star for directions. My thanks to the Marshall for removing the stubborn Pheasant ( target 4) who seemed intent on Ending it all. Although the wind direction baffled me at times :eek:o, the Welsh humour ,two lanes behind got me smiling again
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 27th ,, was hoping to catch up with Laurie plus replenish my pellet stash :D. But we're expecting our baby any week now, so any grand thoughts of going AWOL of late ,will only result in the Firing Squad for me lol

9. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    OK Ryan, I'm sure we will catch up at another SWEFTA meeting sometime ;)

Best of luck and good wishes for the new arrival :) Sleepless nights then and not so much time for shooting :eek: