Personal Goals

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by D Martin, Oct 13, 2009.

1. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've been lucky enough to make the gathering 3 years out of 3. For those that don't know what this is it's the season finale in the UKAHFT series which you have to qualify for during the year.I have managed to get two platinums in the NEFTA hunter series for attaining a certain number of golds in a season and one of these was when I won the springer class which was last year, but I have yet to get a platinum in the nationals and would love to be able to clear a course. Though I've come close a few times these two things have narrowly escaped my grasp up to now.
    This is not just a list of things that I have done reading it back but just personal goals that have reached to date and I have lost count where better shooters than myself, and the list is long, have done me out of that hard earned gold by putting in an unbelievable top score or days where I have simply shot like a beginner and totally bombed.
    What are your personal goals that you strive for? Be it from winning an HFT or FT competition or even the series to simply getting to spend an extra day in the field doing a bit more hunting or being able to buy that new rifle that you've dreampt about.
    I think it would be interesting to find out how much or little different shooters want from their chosen sport or hobby.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Good post Dave. For me I'd like to clear a UKAHFT national course in HFT and get into A grade in FT. A lot more work is needed on my part for both though! I find it difficult to get competitive when I'm shooting as it's my way of winding down and relaxing, so I just shoot against the course and go out to knock everything over, usually the course wins!:D

Ryan

3. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I agree with you there Ryan enjoying it has got to be the number 1 priority. That's why I get a lot of pleasure from the social side of things and marshalling e.t.c as well as shooting it's all part of what makes HFT special for me.I think everyone needs short and long term goals though in order to improve.

Dave

4. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I'd like to clear a course (UKAHFT spec) full stop, had numerous 58/59 ex 60..
    Would also like to get a platinum at the UK's, managed it in the Southern Hunters last year (year before was done by a point on 3 shoots but won the .22 class).
    Next year I'd just like to beat Derek (Hawks HOC) out of 2nd in the Sussex Interclub, lol, 3rd 2 years running by a small percentage.
    Will also be attending more UK's & the Worlds so looking forward to that, going to book my room for the Gathering later this week & get the form in for my 1st one.....
    Would like to try FT if there was a club closer to me than Bisley just for a taster... Most of all I'd like to be able to shoot well without the stress..

Steve

5. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Due to my rather annoying health problems I am just pleased to get out and shoot as I not only enjoy my HFT , I like the banter too .

Considering I couldn't even lay prone a couple of years back I am very pleased that I have shot reasonably and attained a fair few golds from various comps although I now realise I am never going to be one of the big names . ( you have to shoot outside of your home town for that ) lol

Now that I have stopped crying over things such as missing golds by a point etc and shooting for fun I am much happier and if a good score comes along then thats great .

I take my hat off to those who travel around the country and put in good scores week in week out , its all about consistency after all said and done .

atvb

Dave

PLEASE NOTE : Thats a load of tosh , I want a platinum from the SH . ( not just the one Graham gave me ) lol

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Qualifying for the showdown is an annual goal... but winning a GP is my next target... however i think there's going to be a wait on that one. Top 10 in the worlds is another, but that's going to be tough this year. I also want the County Coach qualification ticked off.

7. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Representing the region in FT is a constant Winter goal for me (looking difficult after the 1st shoot :( ), the Summer one being a qualifier for the Showdown. Only ever got near to it in 97 and 98 missed out by 1 target on 1 GP.

As for the World FT got a highest score on 1 course in 98 and still have the tumbler to mark that. However will need to improve massively to do that again.

I think that most of us have at least 1 goal and that is what drives us to get to that goal.

8. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I think that most of us have at least 1 goal and that is what drives us to get to that goal.[/QUOTE]

Well said :)

Dave

9. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

My main goal is to keep shooting as much and as often as I can. I have only ever achieved one gold at national level so that would be another on for next years shoots.

I do however have a goal that as from next year I will be putting all my effort into, and that is to beat Mr David Martin at something, shooting, darts,dominoes anything as he never lets me win at anything and if I don't beat him at something soon I am taking my ball in and no one is playing with it.:p:p:p

10. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Get a Gold (National) this year, Done
    Qualify for The Gathering again, Done
    Destroy Chilli at Quarry, Done :D:D:D
    Get another Gold
    Do Well at The Gathering
    Beat Sparky at Quarry over the winter
    Beat PB & UK Platinum next year
    Do well at The World Champs
    Enjoy myself as much as I have this year:D:D:D

11. D Martin

D Martin Non member

12. D Martin

D Martin Non member

13. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Making AA was a goal I have finally just reached and took way to long for a number of reasons (some of which weren't just me being crap). This years goal will be staying in AA. Showdown qualification is another which always just slips through my fingers and I really look forward to the day I qualify.

I have others but as I feel I'm at the walking phase of my FT career Ill keep those to myself untill I've at least learnt to jog let alone sprint with the big boys.

14. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Forgot to add I'd be really interested to see a reply to oringinal post from James O. Being probably the most decorated FT shooter on this forum wonder if he has any goals left?

15. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    During the last couple of years I haven't really had any shooting goals, or direction, other than to try and get some enthusiasm back before I ended up selling up!

Anyway, job done on that count, I suppose my main goal now is just to get back to where I was 2 - 3 yrs ago.

Specifically, this winter to make the regional team which I missed last year for the first time :( and next summer to qualify for a BFTA Showdown again, managed it in 2004 during my first full GP season but apart from missing out on countback once last season, not had a sniff since.

Alan.

16. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I have a few goals left but my main one is to keep enjoying my shooting and if i acheive my other goals along the way its a bonus:) A few things id like to acheive are a UK win, a top 10 UK placing and a 3rd back to back win of the CSFTA winter league....and a better placing in the worlds next year would be nice;):D.....and....and...and....LOL:D:D

17. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Enjoy whatever it is I choose to do. I wasn't enjoying competition shooting too much in the last year or two so I stopped doing it. Slowly creeping back into it a little now and I'm quite enjoying my limited participation. I've had a summer of chasing barbel around the river Swale and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. I've also kept shooting in the form of hunting. I doubt I'll ever get back to the two comps a month that I was doing once upon a time but I'll never say never.

18. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

Plenty of goals for a lowly placed fella such as myself:

Wave goodbye to my old consistent score of 47 3x 60 (seriously, it was reaching a point of just writing 47 on the score card at the start of the shoot.
    Improve on my PB of 52 ex 60 (unofficially, it's 57 ex 64 at a club shoot but ex 60 is where it counts for me).
    Keep getting those free standers and hopefully push that success out to 35 yards.
    Remember to position myself correctly at the peg rather than putting my body in an awkward position.
    Trust what my eye and scope tell me rather than second guess them (it still catches me out and costs me a point or two).
    Stop getting lazy towards the end of a course and taking supported kneelers rather make the effort to go prone.
    Don't snatch the trigger. The target isn't going anywhere and considering how quickly I take some shots anyway, I've got all the time in the world.
    Shoot a score at the SiHFT's that contributes to the team score.
    Get a badge at one of the SiHFT shoots (any badge will do, I'm not fussy).
    Don't do anything stupid or unsafe.
    Always enjoy myself.

19. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

20. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Ok Bri's just pointed out that I've made it into A grade for FT using my HFT gun!:D:cool::cool: I guess AA beckons, time for some flood lights in the garden I reckon!:eek::D

Just a UKAHFT course to clear now!

Ryan

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009