Pellets / Pellet prep

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Malc HW100, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Malc HW100

Malc HW100 New Member

Club:
    MAD
    One more thing...
    I've noticed that a lot of people seem a bit secretive of their pellet preferences. I kind of get that; if you have found a pellet that you believe is "superior" then why would you tell your (potential) opponents?
    However, I also want to give myself the best chance if success, so I'd like to make a decent choice too. Even though I'm still at the wrong end of my learning curve, I'm anxious to do the right thing.
    So, my question is, what pellets are "generally" regarded as good? What should I avoid like the plague? Do I really need to worry about 4.51/4.52/4.53?
    And also, I've heard that people "prep" their pellets (washing and drying, sizing and weighing) or am I ok straight from the tin?
    Malc

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

my secret method

Try different sizes then decide they dont really matter

remove red (not always red) tape from tin
    tip pellets into container of choice

shoot them !!

:):)

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Use decent pellets in 4.52 eg Air Arms Field 8.4 grn or JSB Exact 8.4 grn you won,t go far wrong with them.
    Don,t bother washing kissing or cuddling etc your pellets total waste of time. :)

4. Mark T

Mark T Member

Club:
    Misfits HFT
    My hw100 likes jsb 4.53 , it doesn't seem to matter what batch number either.
    4.52 are not bad ,it just groups a little better with the 53's .

5. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    1. Open tin of Exacts.
    2. Check it's fine.
    3. Shoot it.

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Just need to do some testing, but JSB/AA/FX 4.51/2/3 are the same pellet essentially, some work better than others you will find. You also have the lighter 7.9gn express, I tried some newer accupell & they were rubbish in my rifle but were well made & looked like H&N trophy..

If you find a batch that work well, buy as many tins as you can :)

7. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Some guns are very sensitive to small differences in the pellet and can group better with some batches or sizes than others. I would always start with JSB exacts, you have a choice of weights with the 8.44gn Exacts probably being the most popular followed by the 7.9gn Exact Express. These both come with different batch numbers to give you even more variation to select from.

Once you have found a pellet you are happy with buy as many as you can get your hands on while you can, in a years time that die number and size may be hard to find.

If weighing them or any other form of preparation gives you more confidence then do it. I have done this myself and you do find some extreme weight pellets, whether they would cost you points is debateable.

I would recommend using a pellet box that protects the pellets from damage. Take half a tin of pellets in and out of your pocket a hundred times then examine them with a magnifier, the damage is quite bad!
    So fill you pellet box and leave the tin at home.

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

As Simon says really.:D

One other thing i do to protect my pellets is by keeping the foam pads that are in the tins and cut them so that a tin is completely lined with foam...sides, top and bottom. Pellets don't get damaged in transit when you have half a tin.

9. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

The foam disc out of a 500 .22 jsb pellet tin will press into a .177 tin and fully cover the bottom and sides, then put the .177 foam on top.
    I carry a tin like this filled with pellets so they cant move and get damaged in my gun bag for those days when you go for your pellet box and realise it is still on the table at home! :eek:o

10. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I would say weigh them if you are serious. An 8.7grain pellet will drop out of the bottom of a 35mm kill if your aimpoint is near the bottom the kill. Some people will deny this.

Regards.