Pellet weights ( new scales)

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RAIDER, Nov 18, 2015.

1. RAIDER

RAIDER Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Bought a precision set of scales as the cheap one are crap. These weight
    to 0.00 grin. So brand new tin of Exact 453 here's the result of a 1/5 th of the tin.
    8.60 - 8.70 = 28
    8.50 - 8.60 = 43
    8.40 - 8.50 = 26
    8.30 - 8.40 = 3
    So if that's what 20% are.
    Jeremy

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Interesting, Ive just recently weighed a two tins of 4.53 JSBs, from different batches just out of interest rather than the norm. :rolleyes: Most were between 8.3 and 8.6gn. 20 or so were 8.2xgn and 30 were over 8.6 peaking with one pellet at 9gn. If theres a still day any time soon I'll do some groups at 50-55 with them and see what happens.

3. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    Yes that pretty much the norm from what I've seen , I only weight enough for a comp plus a few extras

4. kassak

kassak Keith

Club:
    Far Coley
    pellet weights

This suprises me , as i weighed tin of exacts recentlly with the spread being. Lowest 8.17. Highest 8.72. Now i thought that was quite bad and kept all between 8.34 and 8.54 and chucked the rest.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  5. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

That is pretty much exactly what I have seen when I have weighed jsb's and I also used the middle .2gn as my selected ones. Well when I used to weigh them, I don't bother now.

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I suppose that's one way of passing the time during a cold, wet winter.

7. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    When you shot groups with the 8.17 pellets and compared them to the 8.72 pellet groups how did they differ?

I am assuming by quite a lot if it drove you to throw the pellets away.

My testing showed no real difference between light and heavy pellets. I only had to weigh 100 pellets and do the test to realise there was no point continuing

Dave..

8. rich

rich Active Member

Bench rest targets give you less room for error than FT or HFT targets; makes you more picky over consistency.

9. rich

rich Active Member

Some years ago my club was asked to do some field trials by H&N; the most consistent pellet for weight and dimension was the plated heavyweight Barracuda, but none of us found it to be the best in actual use.

The recent H&N FTT pellets weigh 8.6 grains or thereabouts and are beautifully made. I tried some yesterday back-to-back against Exact Express in a 20 yard bench rest comp, and the first three shots on the practice card went precisely through the same hole. Only shot number 4 made the hole egg-shaped.

10. RAIDER

RAIDER Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    I thought I would weigh a sample of the EXACT PREMIUM I was given, all boxed.
    I weighed 15 and they were all within .02 of each other @ 8.62 - 8.64 so there claim is .001 The scales they use must be very good but I don't think mine are that bad.
    The claim of accuracy on scales to 0.001 is not a feasible tolerance in a mass production item. That's just my opinion.
    Jeremy

11. chloe

chloe Member

Club:
    castle
    May be wrong but

But jsb PREMIUMS are quoted as plus or minus 0.001 in grammes from 0.547 grammes so a rounded up converted conversion would give you 8.42 to 8.45 grain. Now other people have questioned the weight range quoted but would they back their scales against jsb factory scales.Sorry if calculations are incorrect, but given in good faith i.e our take on what jsb are claiming.
    At 55 yards indoors jsb exact 8.2 to 8.6 you are looking at 2mm this is real world,do it every time we need new batch when we bother to check use works scales cheapest start at 300plus . Chloe and Alan

12. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

Jeremy do your scales display odd numbers for the last digit? mine only have even numbers on the final digit so despite the claims are only accurate to .02gn

13. RAIDER

RAIDER Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    yes odd numbers as well as even. The variations were quite an eye opener.
    Jeremy

14. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    In the past I have weighed a whole tin of the batch I use and they were all 8.35 to 8.55 grain, so now I believe Conor is right and shoot out of the tin :D

15. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    When I've bothered to weigh pellets I've found in the past an 8.91 & an 8.17 (from the same batch but not the same tin). I've started to used weighed pellets again & use all the ones between 8.38 to 8.58 in comps & the rest on the plinking range! :p