Pellet weighing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Barry, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Barry

Barry Member

What’s an acceptable variance from the weight on the tin please?
    Can that be applied to heavier weights in percentage terms? Or is the grain weight value a constant across the weight range available? I.e. If it’s .02gn for an 8.44, will it be .o2gn for Say a 16gn? Or is it proportional to the starting weight.
    Or
    Isn’t it that critical?
    Cheers

2. Fly fisher

Fly fisher Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    There may not be a logical answer to this. Try not to over think things.

Evo and Lavant_Lad like this.
  3. Ratinator

Ratinator member of the 39 club , twice

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Weigh a few batches of extreme high and lows.
    Take them to a range and see what difference it makes down range .
    I only bother to weigh pellets when I’m doing a chrono string.

BDL, Sake-San and Fly fisher like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Member

Thanks chaps.

I haven’t bothered, ever. But I’m venturing into the realm of higher power, bigger calibre and have a testing session coming up where I’d like to remove as many variables as possible.
    I might be overthinking it so I’ll likely do some weighing and sorting, but leave them aside until I’ve seen what ‘out of the tin’ results look like and then see if sorted, weighed pellets make any difference.
    This rifle has all kinds of hype which has drawn me to try longer range shooting for which I’ve had to join a rifle club, I want to see if the rifle can live up to the hype before I get in too deep.

Someone has suggested .1 grain batches!!

Thanks for the tips

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Well if you are hoping to have pellets within 0.02grn you won’t get many to use from a tin.

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    :D
    I used to weigh but stopped when i started getting good groups from the batches i'd bought. I have been shooting jsb 8.44, 4.52 (i know the head size is cobblers), batch 46 and have been happy with the long range groups. A few weeks ago the weather was pants and i'd finished my chores in the garage so decided to weigh 4 tins to give me enough to get through the comp season. The highest i had was 8.60 and the lowest was 8.20 so i put them into groups of....8.38,8.40,8.42,8.44,8.46,8.48,8.50. Anything under 8.38 was 'lights' and anything over 8.50 were 'heavies'. The ones that were very high or very low were put onto one side for testing to see what 0.4gr difference would look like at 50 yards. The high/low mix was shot though the chrono giving a spread of 19fps but when i used the 8.46 selection that spread dropped to 7fps, ok we thought. At 50 yards the group size was approx a pellet size smaller with the 8.46's compared to the light/heavy mix. I know it's not a lot but it is the difference between a splitter and not. I'm now back to weighing despite having confidence that this batch is good.

AlexS, hamza, Bellerophon and 6 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Member

Hi Chrisc.
    Thanks for taking the time to post a really useful answer. Much appreciated.

8. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I just done a couple of tins today, (only for bench rest) I weigh to within 0.1gn, anything less has two issues, firstly, even with decent jewellery scales you will end up with dozens of piles if weighing to 0.02gn, and the results are probably different if you weigh them a second time. Secondly, in real life, you will not be able to tell the difference in weights that close. In reality I weight for consistency rather than anything else, and it's a good way to get rid of flyers - the 8.2s and 8.6s of the tin which you can only find by weighing the whole tin are the ones I want to get rid of, the vast majority are 8.3 and 8.4, and even if used together you would not notice the difference.

I have no idea if there is a %age sliding scale for acceptable weights within calibres, but it does change batch to batch and also by make, I use Daystate Sovereigns and out of two tins today I almost got a tin of 8.3 and a tin of 8.4, I had 1 8.6, a dozen 8.5s and the same with the 8.2s, overall I think that is pretty good for non competition, unsorted ammo?

James

9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I know what you mean James. When weighing i have 9 old, empty pellet tins lined up with the scales on a thick, oak chopping board. I have a set of the gempro250 scales which seem to be incredibly repeatable wherever you place the pellet on the tray. I placed a small mark on the tray so that i do try and get the pellet in the same place every time though. I have dropped a pellet onto the tray and it has given a reading so i've placed it again onto the mark and the reading is the same. I have done the exercise where i weighed the same pellet 20 times in different places on the plate and got the same reading......only now and again will i get a small difference when re-trying a pellet but it's probably once every 4 to 500 pellets. I think that my scales are stunning for accuracy and i'm not sure what i would buy if they one day die (pun) on me, i think the Gempro 250 is now discontinued.

For shooting i put the heaviest in my pellet pouch and when they are gone i go to the next lower weight. I have thought though that as i'm going to the trouble of having the weights so accurate that maybe i should save the heaviest for the windy days and see if there's a slight benefit in that. Maybe just a load of cobblers i know but never underestimate the psychological edge;);):):)

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  10. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    I use a fairly cheap (£15) set of scales from Amazon, they do however appear to be very accurate and when I place the pellet on the scales repeatedly I get the same reading so I guess that counts.

I weigh into 8.3, 8.4 and 8.5, anything else goes into the reject tin and used for plinking, my HFT 500 is not pellet fussy at all, my chosen pellet is AA but the current batch doesn't appear great there is probably an even mix between 8.3,8.4,8.5 and 30 or so outside this range, I might try JSB

11. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Maybe not a load of old cobblers, I know of a very accomplished HFT shooter who uses 8.3 in the winter when cold, 8.4 in normal temps, and 8.5 in the summer, for me personally I think it does give me a psychological satisfaction and that's good enough for me

12. hw100kt

hw100kt Member

Club:
    Buckley Wood agc
    I believe that it is a mental game you play I used to weigh and size all my pellets until I got fed up with wasting a Friday night and just started using them out of the tin and didn’t see any change in groupings or scores The answer is you just need to have faith in what you are using

Gary Martin likes this.