pellet weighing

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by dhsanta, Dec 6, 2014.

1. dhsanta

dhsanta New Member

Thinking of buying a set of scales to weigh my pellets for hft comps , but before I do how many of you weigh your pellets and do you find it worth while.

2. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I used to weigh and size my pellets until at one winter league shoot I forgot them.
    I used some straight out of the tin and cleared the course. :eek:

Since then I use them straight from the tin. :shot:

But if it makes you more confident go right ahead. :lev

3. dhsanta

dhsanta New Member

I have always just used pellets straight from tin, just looking for that extra edge and trying to eliminate the chance of any flyers !

4. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    it takes one part of the equation out. if you know your pellets are up to the job that part can be dismissed when you miss.

5. madplinker

madplinker Member

i used to weigh my pellets but i have not found much difference from shooting pellets out of a tin. I find a good batch of pellets which seem to suit my barrel i chose my pellets that way and check skirts of the pellets.

I also agree with what the gentleman said if weighing the pellets gives you more confidence than not a bad thing for you to do it. :):):):):)

6. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

Absolutely essential in my opinion, it would be pointless taking the shot without knowing the exact weight of the pellet.

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    its 8.4g Neil. there we are, no more weighing needed:)

8. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I think about it but I figure my time would be better spent practicing.

9. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Nope, Neil uses Zen and before he weighs the pellet he rinses it in scrumpy that he brews personally, then he tells it that it's got to want to hit the kill. :lev :D

10. mike

mike Member

Club:
    Meon Valley Airgun Club MVAC
    Hi,
    yes & no.
    Yes. when I am going to check what the power is or doing a shot string on a rifle.
    No. when I'm shooting HFT, as i think it's better to use pellets that suit your rifle, plus i'm not that good enough a shot to know if it was a slightly different weighted pellet, a wobble or the wind or all three together as to why I missed that easy target :eek: + I have never heard anyone say I miss that target because that pellet felt too heavy or too light ;)

Are you able to tell the difference between a pellet that weighs 8.44 or 8 .57 of a grain over 45y into a 40mm kill zone?

If you are a top shot & shooting with a 95% average or above and you are looking for that extra couple of % then you will try everything to gain it.,washing, weighing, pellet sizing, cleaning your barrel after every tin and finding that perfect batch/die number.
    and that's what compition is all about if you want to be the best you can, plus having the talent to be a very good shot helps too :)

I use JSB heavy's (.177) as I find then to have a very good tolerance within their weight and overall quality of the pellet out if the tin, but again i was lucky in that the one's I have are a very good batch/die number :)

I'm not saying don't do it, just remember that there are other variables to take into account. But if it works for you and gives you more confidence in your shooting then go for it :)

ATB
    Mike