Pellet Testing

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by Jaeger, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger Andy Barnes

Club:
    Hereward
    I normally set out a couple boards at 35yrds and 55yrds and test various tins, batches and sizes etc and try establish best groups. If possible I then to try establish which ones perform best in different wind strengths. I would like to understand if anybody does anything different to this how people achieve the best results. Does the batch that performs best in a light wind, remain the most consistent in a heavier wind, or can the results vary greatly? If so which batch do you opt for?

Thanks.....Andy

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    the most consistent. Usually!
    Yes, seen pellets that group well in low wind / light breeze that become mystery tour pellets in a stronger wind, in fact just set up with such a batch today!

My better / more consistent batch is being kept back for WFTF?

I tend to only group at 55y / 50m these days

Darron and Jaeger like this.
  3. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I do it indoors with lots of pellets to try and take away the variables that outdoors gives, when you get it down to a few good performers then you can do further tests to establish the best one for you - but ultimately you need to be able to acquire them also - so watch what you test is a repeat order.

My FX Impact was particularly pellet fussy, I tried dozens of pellets and it hated virtually everything except AA Express, and even they were only ok - sold it!

[​IMG]

Jaeger likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Out of interest were you leading the barrel with 25-30 of the new pellets before shooting groups, or just switching from one pellet to the next?

5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    If that was indoors at 30m then there was something seriously wrong with that rifle.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

6. madplinker

madplinker Member

Hi

Depends which discipline you shoot HFT or FT regarding distance also facilities you have at hand.
    I generally buy a good few different batches which you can repeat order if one batch turns out to be gold lol.
    I generally test at 25 yards initial test in a poly tunnel say at the beginning I had 10 different batches by the end I would get rid of worst 5.
    Then go out side to 45 yards then narrow down to top 3 pellets in a light breeze.
    Then next day with more wind see which works best when you have some wind kicking about then buy has much has you cannot afford lol.
    I shoot HFT but if I have two similar performing pellets I test to 55 yards.

At distance in wind you are looking for linear movement going right or left depending on wind no big up or down shots that look a bit like a saw blade.

Jaeger likes this.
  7. scott pywell

scott pywell Member

Club:
    hereward
    Are you blaming yesterday's score on the pellets Mr B.
    A bad tradesman blame his tools.:p:p:p

Jaeger and mod23 like this.
  8. mod23

mod23 --Sywell--

Club:
    .... Sywell... Waresley .....
    Just needs more practice at Sywell

Jaeger likes this.
  9. Jaeger

Jaeger Andy Barnes

Club:
    Hereward
    Lol, no mate, I was just crap yesterday......

10. mod23

mod23 --Sywell--

Club:
    .... Sywell... Waresley .....
    We all have them days Andy

Jaeger likes this.
  11. scott pywell

scott pywell Member

Club:
    hereward
    Mine are always them kind of days :mad:

12. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Fired about 5 of each new type before going onto the targets, so by the third target on the right of each page it was around 20 pellets of each new one, if they had not settled by then it was a good enough indication to rule them out - you have to draw a line somewhere

I totally agree, it would only group with AA Express - and I tried probably 20 there big brand pellets, the early Impacts were very poor, and this is a prime example, the mag was also terrible - like really bad! I sold the gun cheap as I just could not live with it, but showed the guy who bought it my testing - he said it only needed to shoot straight with one type!

James

C.Eaton likes this.
  13. eggie

eggie Active Member

Club:
    Broadland ARC
    According to Neil he's been shooting there for 25 years and he reckons the practice does help..........

Jaeger likes this.
  14. Nibbo

Nibbo New Member

In my limited experience it's down to personal choice as it seems different guns prefer a vast range of pellets,you just have to find the brand that suits your gun.