Pellet Testing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Lucid, Nov 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lucid

Lucid New Member

Following on from the Daystate Pellet Thread,

What's your procedure in testing pellets ?

Now, I'm more familiar with batch testing .22 ammo through a target rifle, so am interested in if testing pellets is any different, or what you all do to test the pellet for accuracy, wind deflection etc ?

Lucid ±;o)

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I 'tend' to shoot groups at 25... if i can get 5 into the the 10 ring on an NSRA 25 target, then I usually pay more attention to see how tight I can get them with a little concentration, looking for any flyers. If I can't, then I don't usually go further.

Once I have a short list I usually then take them outdoors for 55 yd and see how they perform... with a selection you can usually determine if it's you/gun or the ammo if it's not performing well (or to expectation)

It isn't very scientific, but if i can get a pellet to do what I want it to do consistently then i'm happy.

I normally shoot 5-10 shot groups outdoors. If I see something peculiar, then I might shoot more. But after a certain amount I tend to start a new group as they can often just fly into the hole and tell you nothing new, apart from they're working.

If i'm trying something out, like weighing or sizing, I batch them and shoot them blind... i write A, B , C on bits of paper, and swap those with the spec and then get someone else to keep a record of what they are...

3. Lucid

Lucid New Member

Thanks for the reply,

I'm going to take a selection of 4.52's down the range tonight, after I've shot a few match cards !! Let's see what groups well in the 8002 from RWS Super Fields, JSB Exacts and the AA Fields .. :)

Lucid ±;o)

4. clubshot

clubshot Member

What Gun and what pellets do you normally Use............

BOB/R

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'll start...

At the moment I'm using Webley Mosquito's (or JSB Exact Express) in my Walther Dominators, and my HW 97 and TX200 SR... in my Walther Anatomic I'm using RWS R10 Select Air Rifle pellets.

Perhaps if we can get enough suggestions together we can start a permanent poll to see the distribution on those visiting the board.