Pellet Sizing

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Spencer Freeman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

Looking for advice on pellet sizing. I know that batch numbers and dies are important but I'm probably not at that level of accuracy yet. What id like to know is the best way of sizing pellets. I use JSB exact 8.44g 4.52 pellets as these seem to give consistently good results with the odd flyer here and there. I'm assuming that I should try and size my pellets to 4.52 as I'm guessing this would be the average size in the tin. Should I buy 4.53 to size down to 4.52 using a 4.52 sizer or am I going about this the totally wrong way.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you measure them you'll see they're often way under 4.52 and the head size stated on the tins is a bit of a red herring. We've even seem same batch with the head size getting smaller on the next run and actually measure bigger.

Sizing is a dark art, what works with one gun model may not another.

3. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

I’ve just been through a tin of JSB Exact 4.52 (batch 42480015 6) using a Pelletgage.

Approx. 10% were 4.50, 50% were 4.51, and 40% were 4.52.

4. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    yep as has been repeated on here a billion times, whats on the tin is a load of codswollop,

find one that groups well and use it out the tin