Pellet Sizing

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Spencer Freeman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Active Member

Looking for advice on pellet sizing. I know that batch numbers and dies are important but I'm probably not at that level of accuracy yet. What id like to know is the best way of sizing pellets. I use JSB exact 8.44g 4.52 pellets as these seem to give consistently good results with the odd flyer here and there. I'm assuming that I should try and size my pellets to 4.52 as I'm guessing this would be the average size in the tin. Should I buy 4.53 to size down to 4.52 using a 4.52 sizer or am I going about this the totally wrong way.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    If you measure them you'll see they're often way under 4.52 and the head size stated on the tins is a bit of a red herring. We've even seem same batch with the head size getting smaller on the next run and actually measure bigger.

Sizing is a dark art, what works with one gun model may not another.

3. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

I’ve just been through a tin of JSB Exact 4.52 (batch 42480015 6) using a Pelletgage.

Approx. 10% were 4.50, 50% were 4.51, and 40% were 4.52.

4. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    yep as has been repeated on here a billion times, whats on the tin is a load of codswollop,

find one that groups well and use it out the tin

C.Eaton likes this.
  5. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

Get yourself a "Pellet Gauge", measure the heads and find out what size your gun likes...The number printed on the tins is just for reference and doesn't indicate the head size... Inside a tin you will actually find 4-5 different head sizes usually distributed "Normally" (Statistics - Normal Distribution) .

The skirts don't need to be measured nor resized, they are resized anyway when pellet is loaded into the breech...Gadgets for resizing skirts are just money makers for the sellers and a good piece of conversation for whoever bought it.
    Note: Don't use calipers for measuring heads, those instruments don't measure heads with precision.

Regards,

AZ

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    If you’re using a batch with the “odd flier here and there” I don’t believe sizing will eliminate this. You’d be better off trying a few other batches until you eliminate the fliers.

really sizing is the last thing to do when trying to achieve ultimate accuracy and consistency once you’ve found the guns preferred batch. Thinking sizing will cure fliers is a red herring.

concentrate on the shooting and less on the distractions until you’re certain sizing is the only way to reduce the single hole group size and/or x bull hit and consistency rate.

7. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I'm with Conor on this....find a batch that groups well, then have a play with weighing, washing, lubing, sizing.

Fly fisher and madplinker like this.
  8. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Active Member

Pellet Sizing waste of time find a batch of pellets that your gun shoots well with and buy in bulk you will shoot better and will not waste your life sizing pellets

9. Ferisk

Ferisk Member

Club:
    Midshires Marksman & LVRC
    This is a question to Rob
    Would it not be easier to select the correct pellets for our rifles if we new the barrels inside diameter,
    (choked-and or unchoked) and what affect it has on the different pellet sizes ?
    According to rmwesleys post only 40-50% of pellets are the stated size in any tin, therefore neither the
    bach number nor the size number can mean a lot.
    Than I think pellet sizing would make some sense.

10. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Head sizes on pellet tins mean nothing if you have ever used a pellet gauge from intershoot you will quickly see that you get a variety of head sizes in a tin.
    Also skirt doesn't matter too much your barrel sizes that when you shoot.

The batch number is the important number on the tin.
    Buy different batch numbers test which batch suits your barrel best then buy has much of that batch you can.

Has been said before a good looking pellet which looks well made may shoot like a bag of spanners down range in your rifle.
    Also a pellet that looks rubbish may shoot very accurate in your rifle.
    There is no short cuts range time and different batches is the only way to find what suits your barrel.
    When you find that batch the fliers should go
    I shoot straight out of tin when I have found a good batch .
    Maybe if you really want to go that extra mile when I have found a good batch possibly weigh some pellets for comp use.
    Range time and different batches is the only way to go

11. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Pellets all look the same but they are not. That's why test different batches.

12. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    If a benchrest shooter tells you it's a waste of time, along side with a former WFTA champion, then lets think! it's a waste of time.

Waldo and madplinker like this.
  13. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    The above is correct :D

14. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I size my pellets in the barrel all seated to the same depth . then hit them with 80 bar .

15. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Active Member

I am a Benchrest shooter I have won many top end competitions and like I said Pellet Sizing waste of time find a batch of pellets that your gun shoots well with and buy in bulk you will shoot better and will not waste your life sizing pellets
    But I do weight the pellets as I have had some very light pellets and some very heavy pellets and this can make a difference between you hit a 9 instead of a 10

Waldo and subaru swift like this.