Pellet Sizers

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by dutoitk, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

Hi Guys

I have recently started playing with a UK Neil 4.48mm pellet sizer. I find that the groups are improving, and that there are less "fliers" than before. I found that there are still pellets where the heads are smaller than 4.48mm, and was wondering what sizer's you guys use.

I have ordered an adjustable TR Robb sizer, which apparently sizes the heads only, and want to order a few more UK Neil sizers. The question is what size. Has anybody had success with a 4.47mm or 4.46mm sizer.

Thanks
    Kevin

2. raisedbybrocks

raisedbybrocks Member

Hello there. I have from uk Neil 4.48 4.51 4.52 and 4.53. Like you I started with the 4.48 as my pro target seemed very pellet fussy. I did my best to accurately digitally measure some JSB head sizes into groups. The 4.48's seemed to group best at the time. So I sized some 4.53's and it just about touched all the heads. This seemed to tighten groups and I thought I had cracked it.:cool: However after a while I tried some 4.53's just weighted and started to get consistent 8mm groups at 45 yards. The conclusion. In my barrels JSB likes a nice leaded barrel to perform best. :p I was not used to this as the cz barrel likes to be perfectly clean with mozzies which I find simpler to maintain.
    I have been testing sized pellets in my tuned hw98. It likes 4.52's or 4.53's. But in this case sizing makes a huge difference and that is at 25 yards. The 4.53 die is not even touching the head, just resizing the skirt.
    In my s200 shooting mozzies, I neither have to size or weigh pellets apart from to weed out the odd freak:eek:

3. raisedbybrocks

raisedbybrocks Member

Here is a ramble I did on it on the AAOC ages ago. Just reread it and the pellets at the time were AA field and daystate 4.53. The best group was 9mm not 8. Funny how I get better over time:p
    Also while I remember there was a good 20fps drop on the chrono shooting the 4.48 sized pellets.
    http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15403