Pellet scales

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Spencer Freeman, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

Which make and model of pellet scales are the majority of shooters using.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I don’t bother for my FT work. Prefer to work with a good batch of pellets that don’t require weighing.
    I’m happy with a good batch straight from the tin JSB 8.4grn Exacts

3. Fly fisher

Fly fisher New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Spencer, you are welcome to borrow my scales. Weigh a few tins of pellets and see if you notice any difference.

4. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

If I could that would be great. I've got a cheap set of diamond scales but they don't seem to be any good. If you weigh the same pellet over and over it's a different weight every time.
    I'd like to try weighing the pellets as I know what a difference the weight of pellet makes to the velocity and poi.
    I can then rule out the odd stray shot as human error.

5. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    look up ct250

6. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Ct250 scales

About £45?

7. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    I've found that some scales require the item being weighed to be placed in exactly the same spot on the scale, otherwise they give varying results (got over that with mine by putting a spot with a permanent marker to place the pellet on) - mine's an old set from Maplins, not brilliant, but good enough for my purposes.

8. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I bought Kern TAB 20,
    About the cheapest repeatable quality scale. Extremely accurate at batching pellets into 10 different weights, quite tricky to use consistently though. Don’t breathe on them!

9. Fly fisher

Fly fisher New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Spencer, I will bring my scales to the club tomorrow. Give them a try and see how you get on.

10. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

Thank you

11. Fox

Fox Member

Gempro 250 by Myweigh not Cheap but very repeatable.

Clive

12. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Just use the scales to remove heavy and light pellets from a tin. That means you sort into three groups.

I weight AA Field 8.4 gn as follows:

Light <8.34
    Ok 8.34 to 8.46
    Heavy >8.46

I always do a full tin in one go to remove any variation that would be caused by differences in room temp on different days. I get about 70%+ of pellets in the OK group usually.

13. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

I've been sorting anything below 8.40 as light and anything over 8.48 as heavy. Anything inbetween is acceptable.

14. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Oh i just use Smart Weigh Gem 20 scales. Not expensive. Seem ok on repeatability... Not great but good enough for me.

15. Spencer Freeman

Spencer Freeman Member

I bought some ct250 scales. They seem to be very good.

16. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I have the same one and had them for 10 years now and still going strong. You can put the same pellet on dozens of times and it gives you the same reading. IMHO 0.02 grain batches are ideal.

BUT....as Conor said i have a batch of pellets that puts really tight groups in at long range so am using straight out of the tin. Maybe on the next Bank Hol i might weigh a few tins for the HFT season just to see if the batch is as good on the scales as i suspect.

17. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    My Kern TAB20 measure to 0.02 grain repeatedly, but I usually batch to 0.06 grain groups, that gives 2 good groups across the tin that top and tails the really heavy and really light ones away.

Use the heavy and light waste pellets for warm up in the 2 separate batches. It’s interesting to see the group tighten up after warm up going to the middle weight pellets!

18. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I have a set of Acura diamond scales which weigh to 0.01 grains and very repeatable. Blow a speck of lead swarf off and see 0.02gr come off. Weigh 10 pellets, then weigh the first one again, same value to the 2nd decimal place.

But I haven't really used them for years. If weight was a reliable indicator of downrange grouping I would use them, but I don't believe it is. I can understand the logic of weeding out the outliers, using that as a proxy for manufacturing defects, but it doesn't seem to bear out downrange. It tells you nothing about concentricity, CoG, head size etc. Some of the best grouping batches I've ever had have looked atrocious on the distribution, like 8.1 to 8.9.

Have you considered that may be down to you warming up or the rifle settling in?

19. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    I just weighed a couple of tins of Daystate sovereigns - pic below. They were much as expected, I weighed to the nearest 0.1 as my whole feeling is that consistency is the key, so as long as your firing within 0.1/0.2 of each pellet to pellet your never going to notice, even at bench rest, but if you go from an 8.2 followed by an 8.6 then you can see it on paper punching - these are the shots that get you. So I kind of look at it like getting rid of the flyers out of the tins - but the only way is to test the whole lot to find them unfortunately.

There were only half a dozen under 8.25 and perhaps a couple of dozen above 8.65, so on the whole as long as I use similar pellets together then they are all good - the 30 or so outside of the weight limits were still fine just for plinking and spinners, I didn't discard a single pellet - but then I'm Scottish and not a top comp winner :D

BTW - 1000 pellets = around 1.5 hours of 80s back catalogue!

[​IMG]

scannerzer and C.Eaton like this.
  20. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Nope. The light end pellets generally hit in different places than heavy end pellets.
    That’s why we weigh them?
    If they didn’t hit different places, then no point weighing!!!