Pellet scales

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CharlieFarlie, Jun 2, 2012.

1. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
  2. Graham

Graham New Member

Club:
    NEW CALEDONIAN ARC
    Dont waste your money mate, i used to weigh all my pellets and it doesn't change a thing, ask all the top shots if they do it and i think the answer will be no, I know a top FT shooter who picks pellets off the ground if he finds some:eek: and loads up and bang down it goes:shot:. only my opinion mate.

G

3. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    To be fair, if Calps sees pellets being dropped, he's that quick off the mark that they hit the back of his head on the way down :D:D:D

4. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
    Couple of My Mate make there own pellets from lead off the church roof....:D:D

I will give them scales a miss then ............

Cheers .

Charlie.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Meticulous pellet preparation is essential to success.
    Carefully select the desired tin and with one hand holding the bottom of the tin (so they don't spill), use the other hand to remove the red sticky label, long unbitten finger nails are best. Now comes the most important part, find somewhere smooth so that you can stick the red tape for reapplication to the tin, ensuring it doesn't tangle which can be a pain to sort. Now remove the lid and using good judgement and hand eye coordination empty the aquired amount into your pellet pouch.
    Replace the lid and carefully stick the tape back on again, making sure that the triangular end goes on last, this will make it easy to redo the whole process again.

This method will give good results, and more time to practice than fannying about with scales!:D

6. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    You forgot the most important thing Conor, you MUST used sized pellets, the shop i buy mine from sizes them for me, he checks the tin has .177 written on it somewhere:D

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Seriously though those in the link are no good, you need them to 0.01grn that's a hundredths of a grain.

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    You get what you pay even with a £50 you won't get the same value twice, you should weight the full box.

9. WatchingEye

WatchingEye New Member

Air rifle pellet weighing (0.01g) is much better than the one about which you are asking for. I have been used for 3 years and it was quite satisfactory with its results.
    I was wondering around to have a good pellet scale and reached at an online scale provider providing this one i go through the description and found it very useful so i take it and was very happy with its results.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    the last tin of 8.4's I weighed came in at 8.2 upto 8.65.so quite a difference. can I be arsed to weigh them all the time ?No not really but it could help , even just as a placebo

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Not sure if Graham is correct there as i iknow a lot of top shots who weigh, A really good set is the gempro 250 but not cheap. I have a set that gave the exact reading 50 times in a row for the same pellet when i was testing it. I go through phases with weighing, for example a good tin of pellets will give a 12fps spread on the chrono from lightest to heaviest so it's really down to removing any doubt about the pellets and instilling confidence.I currently have an excellent batch of pellets that will group sub 10mm at 40yards which is more than enough for HFT. Therefore i'm not currently weighing. I have weighed in the past and tend to do 2 tins at a time with my pellet groups being approx 0.02 apart, for example, i put out a piece of A4 paper and sort groups 8.36, 8.38, 8.40, 8,42 and so on. It's accurate, time consuming but as interesting as watching paint dry:D

As i've said i don't currently weigh but i think that i might do a couple of tins an then compare the groups for weighed and unweighed pellets from the same batch.

If anyone that knows me in the NEFTA region or UKAHFT would like to experiment with pellet weighing then drop me a PM and you can borrow my scales for a couple of weeks.:)

12. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Pellet weighing..

I've weighed pellets for years and it does boost that little confidence really...

Saying that I haven't weighed this year using the steyr...

The scales I've used for years come from china off fleabay.. They work out normally about £20 with the postage.. I've bought loads of sets over the years for the boys over this way..

I can't see a problem with weighing as it just takes out any doubt you may have...

Berty

13. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Don't bother

A bit of reverse Glouecstershire logic here...

I weigh/check all pellets before comp.

I still can't hit a cow's ar$e with a banjo.

Therefore weighing pellets must be a waste of time. Spend that time you've saved in the pub, I say! :lev

14. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Repeatability of cheaper scales

I don't weigh pellets at all now but I flirted with it a few years back.

I have a set of "Accura" jewellers' scales, that measure to 0.01gn. They seem pretty accurate and repeatable. I don't know who makes them but got them in a group buy off the BBS around 2006/2007 and paid around £30 IIRC.

I've just done a test on five pellets.

JSB Express 4.52, nominal weight 7.9gr, or 7.87 for fetishists of spurious accuracy :)
    After each weighing of the five I turned off the scales, blew on the little pan to remove any potential dust, and turned them on again so they zeroed.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    0 Pellet 1 2 3 4 5
    1 1st weigh 7.89 7.84 7.82 7.85 7.85
    2 2nd weigh 7.90 7.92
    3 post "tare" 7.85 7.82 7.87 7.85
    4 3rd weigh 7.90 7.87 7.81 7.85 7.82

The second weighing of pellet 2 seemed a bit high, and it didn't return quite to zero afterwards, so I pressed the "tare" button to re-zero them and re-weighted it

I think that's more than acceptable accuracy for weighing lead slugs to shoot tin chickens with! :cool:

For whoever is interested, the batch is 35000010, they're mega, and if anybody has any more of them let me know as I'm on my last tin! ;)

15. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Its not only the weight you have to be careful about,the consistant tail dia is just as (if not more) important. Pity you can't get the Bics you could get in the 80,s.
    Nice way of checking pellet consistancy.
    HERX77 .

16. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Just before a match,a fresh chicken,pair of black candles,a knife and a cigar (set of bongoes- if you have them) goes a long way to set up your mojo for those long tricky shots! ;) :D.
    HERX77 .