1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pellet Prep

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Feb 6, 2018.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Just spent half hour washing and lubing 2 mini batches of 80 pellets each for a little test session tonight. (JSB Exact 4.50 and 4.51)
    Looked at the skirt of each pellet before they got lubed, all seem to be round with an even land, not sure what else I should be looking for?

Not quite got round to weighing the pellets yet, as the above did make a difference on my old rifle, so will go with it.

Is this normal for Benchrest? Or do I need to be weighing them as well?

Not sure if any top BR shooters will give many tips away, but will try asking nicely, please :)

Thanks!

2. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    be interested to see whether you feel it makes a difference?
    In order of importance I would have said checking for malformed or damaged, then selecting within a good weight tolerance would be my top 2. I tried Lubing pellets way back, didn't seem to make a dramatic difference. I think it would depend on how the barrel takes to it I found it took a while to get the barrel back to where it was before I used lubed in it when I switched back.

Think the biggest differences apart from the statement of the obvious above re damage and high weight variations will come from the operator - ie: trigger technique, breathing, hold etc. Assume you have tried various trigger weights etc

3. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I've shot 3 comp cards recently with pellets out of the tin, I've always washed, lubed, sized and weighed my comp pellets in the past.

My scores with pellets out of the tin are better than when I did all above !
    But, I still have it in my mind that if i had done all that , i may have got the extra points.

That' what it's all about really , if you do all the weighing etc at least its removed another element of doubt , like I'm having now.:D

And of coarse you can go a bit further and roll your pellets down a sheet of glass :D

Try everything then at least you know .

AND ALL that John says , he types quicker than me :D

4. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Bit of a member

what's this trick the BR fellas do when they roll pellets on a mirror ?

looking for different sized circles ?

5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I'v used a trigger weight gauge for the first time, and was surprised when I checked mine , it was a lot heavier than I thought.
    Taking some weight off has improved my trigger technique........... I think !

6. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,

It's a secret :Dyou need the funny hand shake :eek::D

7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Ok, what is a good recommendation of accurate pellet scales please?

I have seen the odd thread about cheap eGhey ones not being upto the job!

Thanks!

8. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Wouldn't discount the cheap ebay ones. They are still accurate enough to tell if you are breathing on the pellet when you place it on the tray. Plus you are trying to identify a difference not an accurate weight. As long as they have a "zero" button and go to 2 or 3 decimal places after the point they should do the job within the parameters that we work in.

9. what barn door

what barn door Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    My own experience (hft) with preping pellets was that it didn't make any genuine measurable difference. If your happy that what you are doing improves your results then carry on doing it.

10. AlexS

AlexS Member

The decision for weighing is easy. Borrow a scale, weigh 30 pellets into three divisions and shoot them at 55 yards. First one light one on the left target, a heavy in the middle and the middle fraction to the right. Then repeat till all the pellets are shot and examine the three 10-shot-groups. Does it make a difference?

11. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Sure, I wouldn't bother for HFT either, but BR is different.

The washed and lubed pellets worked well.
    I can definitely tell how terrible a shot I am!
    Did 40 practice shots all within the inner ring, half of which would be an X, both the 4.50 and 4.51 seemed to work, possibly a slight edge on the 4.51.
    Put up my comp card and got a load cutting the line :-( All the ones that were cutting the line were over to the right, so its definitely me getting a bit nervous on the comp card and pulling them. Doh. Much more practice required with the new rifle.

12. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Glad you are seeing the results of your labor. Just one thing to try - the last thing I do before trigger release is make a conscious effort to relax the grip on the grip. I find through the set up process I tend to get tighter and tighter. So I relax and take a slight pause to see if I have imparted any movement, reset, and then trigger release plus conscious follow through. It sounds a faff but it only takes half a second and almost always shows I would have pulled very slightly right if I had released with a firm grip. I'm right handed by the way and don't use a rear bag.
    Good luck with your search for the perfect card. It can get addictive - BR can also be the ultimate in frustration. :confused:

Waldo likes this.
  13. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Thanks.
    Yes, did yet another practice card after the disaster of a comp card. Tried a few different things to find out what I was doing wrong on the comp card, and went to a really soft touch on the grip like I used to use on the rapid, it seemed to work. I’m not sure about the grip on the new rifle as it dosnt allow for thumb up which I think I prefer, and I can give a much lighter grip thumb up.

14. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Be interesting to see how many of the top flight BR shooters on here do use thumb up. Agree it gives a much lighter grip and as you say in your other post just a gentle squeeze between finger and thumb achieves the desired result. I like you used to shoot thumb up on rifles that could do it, when I started but my recent "stable of rifles" don't accommodate it.
    If the funds stretch to it maybe get a grip made for you for the 9015 rather than have a go at the original grip - speak to Tillygti6 or Warren on here to see what the damage would be. Then you can always put it back to original if you come to sell etc.

15. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    I have the full wooden 9015 Benchrest Start stock, so it would be an entire stock, or carve my wooden one away a little.
    Im thinking just to carve my BR stock to my needs, as not many people will want that stock, most would want a FT stock.

thebaron likes this.
  16. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Try it with as little contact as possible between you and the gun.
    Seems strange and not "real " shooting but the more parts of your body !! That come into contact with your rifle the more movement is transmitted to the rifle.

If your using a high mag scope you'll see how much the the reticle moves off the bull with every heart beat , release the trigger when the x hair is out of the bull and hey ho ! you drop to a 9 or worse.:mad:

I also try not to think about releasing the shot , just let it happen !!! Don't always work but I've found if a concentrate on my trigger, I pull the shot

Practice practice and more practice , and I don't do enough :D

Just my take on things , everybody has their own set up and shooting habits!
    Mine probably wouldn't do for you and vice versa

17. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Noted, not seen that stock. Good luck with the woodwork!

18. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    This was the 40 shots on the practice card with wash and lube pellets.
    1, 2, 6 with 4.50 and 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 shot with 4.51.

Given how poor my comp card was compared to this, I now know I need to improve my technique so its consistant for a comp card. The rifle with these pellets is obviously far better than me, and even the variations here could be me and not the rifle/pellet combo!!!!

Going to hammer the range on Sunday, find the technique, and write it down so I remember.

Thanks for the input so far.

IMG_4240.JPG

19. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad BFTA 2010 European Champion & Pooch Plinking Plonk

Club:
    NELSON
    test clean test clean test clean and when its wright get a new bit of kit and start testing cleaning

20. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    You speaking from experience Mr bad ? :D