Pellet Head size

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by AndyIoW, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Being a sad muppet (and very bored at work) I measured the head sizes of about 20 JSB pellets both 4.52 and 4.53.

What I came across was that the stated head size did not seem to match what I was measuring.
    4.52's - 4.48 average (Skirt end 4.62)
    4.53's - 4.48 average (Skirt end 4.65)

So does that mean then the die using is incorrect or is it due to shrinkage was the material is warm when worked. Theoretically then there is no difference but there must be for them to say there is.

What I need to find is an adjustable sizer to try different sizes and see if the groups improve.

Before my rifle played up on Sunday I managed to shoot a very small group with Bisley superfields at 50yds (hieght difference over 10 shots was 14mm straight from tin). Maybe measuring the head size of those might help.

2. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Pretty much the same here Andy. I got a 4.49 sizer so they all come out the same. I think Rob uses a 4.48

Regards

Dave

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Andy, i've got a little bar that UK Neil made me, it doesn't size, but allows the head to be sat in various holes, showing you the size, and it agrees with your findings, that most pellets are way under the size stated. I'd suspect that tail roundness is more difficult to measure due to them warping.

4. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Great idea the bar, I never bother to size pellets because I want to leave the skirt intact.

About sizes same here probably they are an average between head and skirt size. :confused:

5. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    I agree about the stated head size Rob i use to :bic: my pellet,s about 10 year,s ago and the mark for all sizes were well defind but 453s fall through the same tester now:eek:so 453s are smaller than 450s some year,s ago.