Pellet group size.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by GUNVIDDER, Jun 12, 2010.

1. GUNVIDDER

GUNVIDDER New Member

I sort of know the answer but I want some opinions thrown in as well please.
    I'm just plinking in the garden at the moment.
    Some pellets are clover leaf, some give a quite open group.
    As i'm just plinking for fun my mind isn't 100% on the job even If I tell myself it is.
    Hopeing to go to the various target clubs local to me when funds allow it.
    I've found out the target size I need to practice for.
    Now It's down to choice of pellets & practice.
    My question, say I end up after testing with 3 good pellet types, one clover leaf size, one is 12mm & the other is 25mm groups, for the question traj' is very close between the 3.
    Is the 25mm group pellet acceptable ?
    I'm not going to throw in the cost of the pellets but that is lurking around in a dark corner.
    In other words, if the target zone is 40mm & the pellet group is 25mm why should would I prefer the clover leaf group pellet ?

2. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Because you need to take wind in account.

3. GUNVIDDER

GUNVIDDER New Member

Thanks.
    I thought pilot error & a breeze, as for wind I'd be totaly out of my depth, just plinking in a fenced garden ruins thoughts of common sense obvious answers plus practice in such conditions.
    Ignoring fliers is there something else I might of overlooked ?
    What actually prompted asking this was to let me know, just how critical I need to be.
    No doubt the barn door shooters do get pleasure from just being out shooting regardless of scores achieved & I don't want to worry to much myself, likewise I don't want to turn up then be dissapointed or be paraniod that I can't go untill everything is perfect.

4. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

What distance are you shooting at, what gun are you using, .22 or .177..... I certainly would not be happy with 25mm groups even at 45 yds :cool:

5. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Yeah, 25mm groups is rubbish unless you are over 45 yards in a stiff breeze :D or at Quarry

6. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Wind factor that has a major role in pellet trajectory so you need to have the best pellet for your barrel/gun and also a 25mm is not acceptable in a 40mm target because if you don t range find correctly you may not hit the target.

I don t believe in flyers for me they are a shooter excuse!

7. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I was doing a grouping test this afternoon with a 25year old HW80 I have restored ,it did 15mm c to c groups at 30 yards with me sitting on a bean bag and being a bit shakey today! so thats not as good as it gets!

a precharge off a rest will put every pellet into basically the same hole at 30yds so finding the right pellet is critical!

what rifle is it?
    what caliber?
    and what range?

im sure the guys here can advise on pellet choice for most makes of rifle!

8. Jon

Jon Member

I wouldnt worry about it just get yourself down the Harriers and have a word with a few people.

Could tell you two groups with two different barrels today at 55 yards in a constantish wind but it would dishearten others.

9. GUNVIDDER

GUNVIDDER New Member

Aah, comeing together, thanks.
    The situation is I'm more used to 22 but now got a S400 177 intending to have a go at targets.
    I've been plinking without worrying about group size, sometimes it's cloverleaf sometimes where's the pellet gone, partly pilot error I'll admit as I'm just shooting for fun at the moment.
    The first scope was a 30/30 ret & close focus was 20yds.
    I've now changed to a mildot scope but the close focus is still 20yds.
    Funds are non existant untill I manage to get another job.
    I do have a selection of pellets as while I had some money left from redundancy I bought a small stock of them.
    I'm assumeing when funds allow I'll be limited to the pellet choice I have now.
    Upto now garden plinking with a fuzzy scope is not the way to go to get ready for a trip out.
    At the moment I've no idea what the traj' is like for another starter into a brick wall as a beginer..
    Harriers, Woodlands & Kinver are all local to me

10. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

do not forget Furnace Mill - that is close by too

11. GUNVIDDER

GUNVIDDER New Member

Oh yes, forgot that one, heard It's a good un.
    Been takeing things abit more seriously & getting the group size down now as well.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    wind should only be considered as affecting the group horizontally... so in wind, what your looking for is the pellet that gives you the straightest line across... if your groups are circular, just pick the smallest one and go with that... don't worry too much about the nth degree, or if they grow or shrink a tad, just, if your inclined, work on the things that could reduce them, like better position etc... :)