PCP Cylinder Testing

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Shaqa, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

I was at the local club last night and a few of the shooters were talking about the testing of the air cylinders of their PCP target rifles. I am aware that manufacturers put a 'test date' on their cylinders. However these particular shooters saying that at the Oceania champs that all rifles cylinders will be check for compliance. If they arent in compliance that rifle wont be permittied to be used...probably from safety POV i guess.
    Anyway are FT events whether locally, Nationally or Inernationally as concerned with the PCP cylinder compliance?
    BTW it doesnt affect me for another 10 years....but it was interesting to hear how they were going to overcome out of date cylinders.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    In the UK, cylinders under 500cc do not need testing.

As there is no test procedure under 500 it's not unusual to find custom cylinders with no date stamp, and there is no testing on the HFT or FT circuit.

There has been some date stamp checking at ISSF indoor events (10m pistol and air), i think they also follow the a 10 year rule.

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I think you will find a test date on the walther cylinder on the Dominator,and this cylinder make be a couple of years old already.As i got a new one and test date was almost out of date,The germans have very different rules to us in the UK.;)as all cylinders are 300bar.
    Don

4. Jon

Jon Member

All the 10M ones have date and working pressure etched on to the tubes, no doubt strong enough when made.
    What concerns me for last 17 years is the manufacturers tubes that wouldnt pass such a test if it were law?