PCP charging bottle filling VERY fast ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by sunbeam, Dec 23, 2012.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Hi,

I bought a 12l 300 bar bottle the other week. I got it filled and have charged up my MPR twice with it from 100 to 180.

No matter how slowly I open the knob on the top of the bottle, it fills the gun to 180 from 100 in a split second. The last bottle I had (owned it for 10 years) was very controlable. I could jently open the valve until the needle hit a 'solid' spot (say 100 psi if it were low) then very slowly open the valve a little by little and slowly control the air going into the gun up to 190.

I had full control.

With this bottle, it's instant form 100 to about 180, maybe 170 if I'm stupidly careful with the knob. Then the last 10 psi or so is very hard to trickle in. Just does not seem right??

What do you guys think, how controlable should it be ??

I've taken the bottle off sale and going back to the shop tomorrow for a refund if it's wrong. I was selling it because it's to big to carry well, but with this filling problem, I can't sell it. I thought it was me, but I'm not sure now??

Thanks.
    Rob.

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    They can fit a restrictor in which makes them more easy to handle. Not sure why it's so pesky, even when mine are seeing 340 bar they can be a handful but not uncontrollable.
    Hopefully a restrictor will do the trick.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Not psi, bar :eek:

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Try a coaster in the handle might give a little more control.

5. 1963malc

1963malc Member

It's a Webley type with the guard around the top. I used a 3L 300Bar at a meet once and scared myself with it. I'm not sure I'd give one house room - they're a bit mad.

At the time, my bottle valve at home wasn't restricted like my new one is, but what a surprise.

Change your underpants and work out a way of controlling the rotation of the valve knob more slowly. I found it awkward to reach into the guard area to do that, but I'm sure you could find something to fit onto it. A coaster is a good thing to try cheaply, but I was thinking more like a socket or a sink spanner that gives some height too.

If you just can't control it, but want to keep it, you could get a new, restricted valve from MDE or wherever.

You're very brave.

6. regsie

regsie Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    I replied in your sale thread sorry, this is a problem with these bottles I could not get a different valve for our club bottle because of the thread but a few of us have got used to it by barely cracking the valve open. Maybe putting a better tap on it.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Hi,

I rang the shop this morning and told them that I that I was having big problems filling my gun slowly with this bottle and I would like to return it for a refund. To my suprise they said no problem ! I took it straight back within the hour with all the paperwork.

They said in the shop that they could offer me a straight swap with another 12L bottle of a newer type if I wanted and presented me with this !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RESULT !!!

Its from Midland diving and dated 2012/09 If I'm not greatly mistaken, this is a much better bottle with a 'normal' valve. It even came with a rubber boot and netting. I'm going to have to fill it, but that's not a problem :)

What do you think?

8. rich

rich Active Member

Good result.

When you have time, get a piece of gas pipe and slit it, then pop it round the micro hose and tape it up. Those hoses are very vulnerable especially at the bottle end.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Can I buy a 'hard core' braided pipe ?

10. 1963malc

1963malc Member

What a result. Well done.

Not sure about braided pipes but if you protect the one in the photo, it'll last for a long time. I take mine off the valve when I'm not using it and store it in the velcro of the buddy bottle handle that I have on it. It's a 3L though.

Good tip about shrouding it and taping it. Might try that myself.

11. rich

rich Active Member

I dare say you can, but the micro hose is economical because you don't waste much air with it, and a length of rubber hose will only be a few pence.

I think Best Fittings do a more robust micro hose but it's about 25 quid.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yep, I've used a good wrap of gaffa tape to do the same trick... You can also use a spring if you find one long enough and stiff enough.

I use my 12L to decant into my 3L's. We both have one and the filling shop charges the same to fill the 3L's as it does the 12L... within 2-3 fills of my 12L i've probably paid for my 12L with what it would have cost to fill the 3L's.

13. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    The other thing you can do to protect the hose at the bottle end is put in a 1/8" right angle piece, so the hose points straight down.
    Like:

[​IMG]

14. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

That's a REALLY good idea :D
    There is a unit around the corner from me that sells air fittings. I'll call in and get a 90 :D
    Thanks,
    Rob.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Pricey? but looks good and does the business.
    Been doing the 'stress dispersion' bit with flexible tubing before I got the 'Best Fittings' tube at the worlds.
    So far no probs,but then I didn't have any problems with my tubing from thr 90's until it was dinged at the connection exit and retired for safety.;).
    HERX77 .