Parallax problems

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by PaulD, May 4, 2009.

1. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Ive just upgraded to the new Big Nikko from my Zos FT scope and im VERY pleased with it. As you can imagine the image quality and range finding are far better than with the Zos, although to be fair to the Zos i cant blame it for any mistakes during the 9 months ive had it and with care it can hold its own against a lot of more expensive scopes.
    However i have a problem with my Nikko in that it wont parallax below 15yds! now the Zos wouldn't focus below 20yds and i used a system of mil-dots below that, but that was only a £100 scope and the Nikko costs £600. I have now got a mil-dot system for the Nikko that works a treat but surely a scope in this price range should be capable of better than this?

2. rich

rich Active Member

This must be the mark 3 big Nikko, then. The big BSA that was the forerunner of the mark 1 would focus down to about 9 yards. My mark 1 Nikko will go to about 10, however the best solution if you want to focus really close is to add a close focus adapter (Leupold, about £40). Everything under 15 yards is sharper with the adapter.

3. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Thanks for the answer Rich. Yes it is the new Nikko with the tall green turrets and turret covers. Ive never seen these adapter's advertised, any idea where i can get one? and will it fit the new Nikko as the screwthread is different to the earlier ones?
    Paul

4. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

The mark one and two big Nikkos will come down further depending on how the objective has been set. Having looked through about ten different brand new ones in the shop when I was buying I can confirm that they weren't all set up exactly the same from the factory. However, having the ability to PX down to eight yards can compromise the gap and therefore discrimination between 50 and 55 yards. It's a fine balance to achieve.
    Please note that this isn't a comment on the MK3 as I've not had a fiddle with one. Strangely enough, people get all nervous about the prospect of someone messing with the objective of their five hundred quid scope just to see what happens!;):D

5. rich

rich Active Member

Paul, the CFA has a very fine thread on it, it's 1.75 inch diameter and 48 threads per inch. Trust the US to come up with an oddball... and they say Imperial is quirky. As far as I can tell this is a completely non standard thread.

Anyway, it's smaller than the front of the big Nikko so the usual solution is to make a hole in a Butler Creek cap, just under 1.75 inches diameter, and screw the CFA into that, letting the thread cut its own way into the plastic. Slightly over size and it won't hold.

I've made up a very thin locking ring for mine, out of a piece of aluminium plate 3mm thick which I bored and screw cut on the lathe, but it's a very tiny thread form and needs a sharp pointed tool. If I made another it would not be in ally, it's too soft and chewy to get a clean thread. I'd probably go for brass.

Although the CFA looks like it's made from flat glass, it does have some very tiny refracting power. I found out to my cost that it is important that the Butler Creek sits squarely on the scope and the CFA is square to the optical axis. If it isn't, then the zero is affected.

6. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    My 2007 model (green turrets but not the new model with larger turrets*) comes down to about 10.5 yds at 50 mag.

* would this be a Mk 2?

7. AIRMAX

AIRMAX New Member

I have the new "MK3" and it's focusing down to 9 meters very sharp on x50 mag. I was using the MK1 untill this season and it would focus even closer.

What i find bad about this new nikko is the fact that it comes without any protections for the lenses. It would be a good idea to come with the shade already and some flipups as well.

Does anyone know where can i get some flip-up covers for the new MK3 Nikko ? Is there any that fit right into it ?

Thanks,