Parallax Error ??????????

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CharlieFarlie, Sep 1, 2012.

1. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
    Right please be gentle....

When shooting HFT I seem to hit all or nearly all of the 18 yard plus kill zones but struggle with the 8 10 12 ones..

So last night I set up targets at 8 10 12 14 16 and 18....

Guns (Platinum With a Lightsteam scope and a MK4IS with a Mamba lite) Both guns zeroed at 25 yards..

I had previously tested and written down all my aim points at these ranges but was keen to make sure they were spot on ready for Sundays shoot...

Started with the Platinum at 8 yards.. Height was right but impact point around 10 mill to the right..

10 Yards. Again height was right but impact point around 7 mill to the right

12 Yards.. Height right impact point 4 mill to the right.

14 16 And 18 were spot on and impact was dead centre.....

Swapped to the Mk4 and had same results except the impact points were slightly more central but still just over to the right until 14 16 and 18 where again they were spot on....

Guys at the club say parallax error....

Now I have heard this term but never understood what it means. One Chap said the artificial lighting ? So turned them off and it stayed the same !

Tried adjusting the cheek piece and butt pads but again no change.:eek::eek:

So do I just shoot say 10 mill to left at 8 yards ect or should something be changed on the gun / scope set up ??

Sorry this is a bit long winded but the only way I can explain is how it happened :eek:

Thanks...

CF.

2. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    to check if its parallax error I would stick one of those rubber eye thingys on your scope, then your head position is always the same. If the condition persists i would suspect crossover, are you shots slightly left at 45?

Also you seem to have the same problem with both setups? I can only see one common denominator - Daystate :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Charlie if you are at New Cali tomorrow give me a shout and I will try to explain why you are getting this. Will see if we can shoot round together and take a look for you if you want.

4. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Steve that would be awesome !! See You tomorrow.. Thanks !

Poison dwarf

From 16 right out to 45 yards the gun is spot on.. I say gun as I have been at the range all afternoon trying to sort out what is going on..

I with the help of a Guy at the club have made adjustments to the butt pad on the Mk4 and now it seems to be spot on at all ranges ??

The Platinum however is still shooting slightly right ( Measured at 6 mill) at 8 yards them this comes in towards the centre at 10 yards ( 4mill) and at 12 yards 2 0r 3 mill. Then from there out to 45 its spot on.........

On a 15 mill kill zone target I have worked out where the aim point needs to be at 8 10 and 12 yards so tomorrow will shoot it using these guide points and see what happens..

Thanks for the replys !!

5. blackscale

blackscale Member

I get exactly the same if my head isn't spot on centre!
    Try moving your head to one side then the other and shooting then figure out the best position for close shots.

Good luck! :D

6. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Platinum stocks are known for inducing PA error, have the stock made flat along the cheek piece or dished so you are allways in the same place centrally. I did this to my platinum stock on my Mk-3.

7. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I thought the smallest kill below 13 yards was 20mm with 15mm from 13 yards out.

The amount of right movement you are reporting should not equate to a miss on these targets?

8. blackscale

blackscale Member

True but it is better to be as close to centre as possible because once you get really blurred targets mixed in with being forced into some nasty positions it can be enough to put you out...especially if you mis-range the target....:D

9. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    You just love those 6 yarders don't you Mike :D

10. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    But if the target is blurred how can he tell he is out by 2mm or 3mm?

The only way to be that precise is to alter the scope parallax to the correct distance when testing and that would defeat the object.

A few mm at close targets is nothing - at least it is predictable (unlike the wind on longer targets)

Dave.

11. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    In reality I cant tell if out by 2 or 3 mill on a blurred target... All testing has been done at the range..

OK maybe I'm being anal here ?

But thw way I look at it I desperately need to improve on the close targets.. Now I can try things and ask questions or do fark all and get no better....:D

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it !

CF.

12. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    If it was me I would have someone setup some mini kills at varying distances - make sure they are freshly sprayed and then have at them as though it was a comp.

I did this a year ago - setup several mini kills at the club then moved closer / further away (I was the only shooter at the club while doing this as it meant crossing the firing line) I didn't know the ranges so guessed (as you would in a comp)

See if you can spot a pattern to your misses.

Paper targets are ok but the real thing works better ;)

Dave.

13. blackscale

blackscale Member

Good point, we do this with a 20mm and try to find a point of aim that takes most if not all blurred targets down (close ones).
    You are right it doesn't make a lot of difference but it helps your confidence i reckon, if your pellet is landing correct on the vertical!:D

14. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    How did you get on today Charlie? Despite what people have said, I think nothing beats checking on paper as you can then see exactly where you have hit.
    I draw a thick pen cross (or grid of crosses) on card and shoot at that at a measured distance, with the scope set at the 25y parallax, so though it's blurred, you know exactly where you are aiming and can see the result.
    You can do this in the house/garden without needing a range at these distances.

You also need to be able to recognise or measure the differences between 8/9/10/13/15 yards on the ground at an event to know where to aim! This is often the hardest part. The lower your scope mounts are the more the trajectory is flattened out at short ranges, minimising the variation of aimpoint for the above, but then you lose out a bit at the longer distances (why the FT guys have higher mounts).

Probably a bit soul-destroying watching Steve clear the course too!

15. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I have had the same issues but as Hotshot says you should still be in limits.If it was crossover you would not be on target at 45yards.

Surely if you adjust the objective to the actual distance, and shoot, and then shoot at your usual fixed HFT PX setting, it will tell you if its crossover or PX error. I suspect like me your pellet will go where it should when the PX is set to actual distance, and shoot off aim when set at your fixed HFT setting.

Dean.

16. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:

Greg.. Watching Steve was of huge benefit and he answered the problem in 2 minutes..

I genuinely learnt more in one day than since starting a few months ago ....

Score was 50 which is no big deal to many ! But to a relative beginner who was struggling in the mid 40s I was as pleased as punch..

I know I can improve now !:D:D

17. pwiles1968

pwiles1968 Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    Out of curiosity what was it you changed?

18. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Nothing.....
    Steve explained that" some" scopes in the mid to high range just do what I have described above.. So simply shoot to the left hand side of the kill zone up to 12 yards and that will do the job.. And it did...

I'm not claiming I hit every one but previously I was missing nearly all of them.. At least a 75% improvement on the close in targets.. :D:D You cant buy that :cool:

I realise how complicated this parallax error thing can be but after spending quite some time with gun set up and the situation just not improving it had to be something to do with the gun or the scope.. In this case it was the scope so just work around it and problem solved.:D:D

19. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Again I think this is something you will see testing on a card target; if your scope shifts a bit to the right at close ranges you will be able to see the pellet strikes consistently.

20. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Greg it was because of a lot of testing on targets (Card) at set ranges of 8 10 12 14 16 and 18 yards at the club that I realised that the point of impact was around 6 mill to the right.... So yes agree totally that shooting at card targets will give a valuable indication of the POI. All testing and trial and error can only be a good thing ......