Palm shelf

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Conor, Feb 16, 2011.

?

Palm shelf on pistol grip

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    41.3%
  1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Pros and cons, are they useful for stability of the hold for hold position?
    Conor

2. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I've fitted an Anschutz palm shelf to my Steyr, I'm very happy with it. It's on it's lowest setting but the plate is fitted upside down so it gives me more depth. They are very adjustable and allow you to put it exactly where you want it. I was worried it would make it topple and feel top heavy but it's fine.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think what conor is refering to is a "heel"... the things that sit on the bottom of a pistol grip.

For me, flexibility is in FT is quite important, and the benefits of such are probably compromised by this factor... to add, most prone shooters have dispensed with them.

At best i think it's a marginal gain, but probably not something that most people would see a benefit from, and it would have to be looked at quite objectively. But like anything, if it works, more power to you.

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

There used to be a few people with a heel fitted to their gun, not so many now. I think if you were to use one for support as a palm shelf it would in most cases be too far back and too far away from the balance point. I hear it's good to have your left hand supporting the gun slightly behind the balance point, but that is still usually just forward of the trigger.

5. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Pleased with the one on my Steyr, like this.

6. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Im shooting the Daystate GP (stop laughing at the back:p ) the rifle comes with an adjustable palm shelf and ive tried the rifle with and without it fitted, i find it helps stability especially when standing. Plus it looks cool :cool: but there again im weird :D

7. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    I'd agree with the last two, I have the GC steyr set with the adjustable palm shelf. I've found it has improved my standing shots. But then again, it might be all in my head:D