P70

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Thumbhole, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

Can anyone tell me the good bad and ugly points, if any got a chance of mint one less than 5000 pellets from new, with a deben 10-50-side focus scope what should i expect to pay for it as a combo. :cool:

2. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Well, this one went for: GBP825

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2103&highlight=P70FT

Info/review: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163233&highlight=p70ft

Big_Phil555's review: http://www.airgun-tec.com/index.php?topic=1128.0

Depends on the serial nbr., and there was a recent one I hankered after on BBS & here which went for a fair price, MINT, but early serial #....add the price 2nd hand price of the Deben scope, and you might be onto a sweet deal. Depends what the seller is expecting ??? I know for a fact you can source BRAND NEW ones in Spain for Euro 1850+ ...and they are in blue :D

Ugly point ? - weighs a ton ; need to add a Jon Harris rail onto barrel. Add a cheek riser as well; parts are scarce, but I found a source in Poland....some replacement seals are on eBay from a Canadian seller. Lastly, you might have to shift the barrel band to the rear to cure all POI issues; front heavy ; get Maestro, to perhaps sell you a moderator (not a true silencer, as It has no baffles - see my pics in my album). If its to much hassle to mod, you may well save some $$$$, by getting a Steyr FT as It shoots sweet out of the box. Love it or hate it...I love it !

Positive- barrel accuracy, if you have top 'hand picked' one...cracking trigger. Original design (some find ugly) . Ask Maestro what he thinks with regards to his Ft performance :D

Let us know what you decide ?
    :cool:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

As said above, once the POI is cured, they are great. Set it up for you, and you can live easily with the weight

Wonkydonkey on the BBS lives in telford, and he does a full service, reg setting, seals etc - I recommend him, and a good price too.

The consistency is fantastic oce set up, and the trigger is a full amtch trigger - second to none

let us know what you decide.

I have both the FT version, and the match version. (both reviews on Airgun-tec.co.uk)

ATB

Phil

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Length .

I have been told that there are two barrel lengths on the P70 .the long one i believe is 25 inches long . now that is to long for a FT rifle . your follow through would have to be perfect ??? HOLLY

5. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

Thanks for info guys, price is 950 or nearest, will get the serial number. How do i know if its an old or new one from this. Its blue in color what is the problem with the POI on them then is this due to conversion from 10 m to FT ranges. :cool::D

6. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

the POI shift is due to the breech and rear scope mounting area being of different material to the barrel and the forestock.

As sadi, just use a JH mount and mount the scope on the barrel only, slide the front A clamp backwards, and there is no POI shift in the rifle (you need to understand scope issues separately)

drop the serial number on here, and we may be able to tell you

ATB

Phil

7. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

Thanks for that Phil, seems like a manufacturing fault, that should have been sorted by the company, before allowed for sale.:mad: A gun of this quality and cost should not leave the factory in this condition, words not fit for purpose spring to mind. :( Seems a lot of bother to me to get it to shoot as it should have from leaving the factory. Was it a good price though or not to take a chance on.

8. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

to be fair, most rifles need a degree of fettling to get them sorted, so to utilise a scope rail and then setting up the A clamp is not too bad.

At £950 ono, if it is a newer one in good condition, that is not too bad.

The main thing you need to shoot acurately is a match trigger and a good barrel - the P70 has both

ATB

Phil