P70 ft

Discussion in 'FWB' started by steg, Mar 24, 2010.

1. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Any owners of this gun have trouble with marking the air cylinder when taking out and replacing it.How do you avoid it?

2. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Get a quickfill fitted..sorted :)

3. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    An obvious solution...but it shouldn't have to be done in the first place...?? Can this barrel be 'floated?'
    as in taking out the forward support?

4. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

You can float the barrel, but you'll need to leave some of the figure of eight to support the cylinder. If you remove it completly the action rocks in the stock, as it is only held by two bolts in the side and it pivots on them. I got mine restocked as i couldn't get on with the standard stock, the barrel is free floated as the stock now supports the cylinder.

5. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Hmmm... thanks for that...I wonder if 'our lass' would believe that a free Paul Wilson or Ginb stock is an after sales service by Feinwerkbau....best not push my luck..(I treasure my bollocks still... even at my advanced age)

6. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Hi Steg

Two options - I have a quick fill fitted to my FT model - On my 10m match, I have wrapped a thin layer of clear tape arouind the cylinder where it sits in teh front support.

I have also seen vinyl covers for the cylinders

ATB

Phil

7. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Thaks Phil...I think I'm going to go down the quick fill route

8. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC

Beware, The worst thing you can do on the P70FT is to float the barel. The front grub screw should be tightened and loctited. This is the method I use and zero is held right down to -6 in the winter. The scope must then be mounted on the barrel only to achieve best results.

9. Jon

Jon Member

Of course the varying temperature would have nothing to do with the stock deflection left right and centre with minimal change. They are the most flimsiest stocks i have ever come across, finger and thumb on stock shifts zero a mile!
    Bad stock fixing location as well.

Respond well to free floating, the only two people that have done any good have them this way, says it all as most are very problematic at best.

10. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC

John, the key to accuracy is the mounting of the scope on the barrel only, tying the two together. With this system scope then moves with the barrel. The front support to the barrel is required to stiffen up the weak barrel location in the action and offer a little extra support, after all this is why it is there from the factory. Free floating just puts more strain on the minimal barrel location and could well cause other problems, not to be recomended.
    I never had zero shift in 18 months with this system and regularly shot it benchrested at 55yd to check it in all tempratures, summer and winter.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  11. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC

This is a problem with the P70 as the cylinder is not hard anodised. I fitted a quickfill cylinder to avoid marking it.
    It is not a problem on my Styers as the cylinders have a hard finish to them.

12. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

Funny that as when it was in standard trim it was useless. Mounting the action in a proper stock and free floating the barrel has transformed the gun. All the P70's that i know that shoot well are free floated.

13. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    I can't agree with you. I had my scope mounted only on the barrel from the beginning on, but the rifle had slightly POI-shifts to the sides and when I took out the action from the stock and then back I had to re-zero again... Using a bore-sighter it was clearly visible that the POI moves as I was losing or tightening the screws in the stock.

I've been shooting many comps with the factory fitted barrel and many with free floated, and I can say that the BEST thing is to make the barrel free floating - if you do it on the proper way. My rifle travels now thousands of miles every month in the car, I'm shooting in various environments and even if I take the action out from the stock and back - the zero stays always the same.

14. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

Andras

As I have the same rifle as you (I spoke to you at Shugborough :cool:), could you post a close up picture of your scope mount.

Please could you also advise in step by step detail, how to free float the barrel in the proper way

Loos like a summer project for me :cool:

Thanks

Phil

15. chip

chip New Member

My p70
    http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk88/chip100t/my rifles/f2.jpg

which i bought to try ft, having only ever shot hft before.
    But after having poi issues have since bought an lg110.

I really want to keep this rifle as i have spent money on the mec butt pad and had a spacer made for the forend, would also like to send it to hydrographics for a face lift as it has a scratched barrel, cylinder and a few marks on the stock.

So if any one has pictures of how they have mounted the scope to the barrel only i would really like to see them.

Many thanks,
    Kelley

16. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I can see how it could be done but it looks like you'de need the neck of a girraffe see see through the scope....or is that just cos' its a big Nikko onmine at the moment?......I'll have the tape measure at the club this w/e...:D

17. maestro

Club:
    East Devon
    The proper way is very simple:
    - Scope mounted only on the barrel
    - A-clamp moved backwards
    It's important to do both else it won't work.
    See the attached photos.

Attached Files:

18. maestro

Club:
    East Devon
    The scope mount can have any shape but it must sit only on the barrel rail and reach backwards, some examples from Poland and Germany:

Attached Files:

19. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

excellent illustrations - many thanks Andras :cool:

when you say in many environments, over what exremes of temperature are you shooting in while not experiancing any POI shifts?

Thanks

Phil

20. maestro

Club:
    East Devon
    About between -10 and +35 °C. Of course, the velocity changes between these extremes but it isn't a problem because it can be adjusted. But the point is that the angle between the scope and the barrel end doesn't change. It can not, this is simply mechanics. Being an architect you know I've designed it in a way that my rifle should remain insensitive to any environmental influence - and it is, except for the wind :(