Orange and T-Mobile bars Shooting Times for under 18's

Discussion in 'News and Results' started by RobF, Feb 2, 2011.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Orange and T-Mobile bars Shooting Times for under 18's

UK s biggest mobile network bars under-18s from shooting websites due to “inappropriate contentâ€

A leading internet service provider has told Shooting Times that the magazine s website is unsuitable for under-18s because it contains information on how to make bombs.

Orange, part of the UK s biggest mobile phone operator, uses its ‘Orange Safeguard system to restrict mobile access to shootingtimes.co.uk, meaning that readers who wish to view the site on their Orange mobile phone must first prove their age in an Orange shop.

A spokesman for Orange told Shooting Times: “Orange Safeguard is a mobile content filter which covers customer use of the mobile internet, to prevent anyone under the age of 18 from accessing inappropriate content.â€

When pressed as to what was ‘inappropriate about shootingtimes.co.uk, the spokesman referred to Orange s list of subjects unsuitable for children and said that the site fell into a category called ‘bombs , containing information on how to ‘prepare, make, build and use explosives and explosive devices.

Rival mobile operator T-Mobile also considers shootingtimes.co.uk as unsuitable for under-18s. A spokesman said: “The content [of shootingtimes.co.uk] was blocked because of the nature of the magazine. There are some images linked to shooting and so it s deemed that people have to confirm their age before they re able to view it.â€

Barnaby Dracup, Shooting Times Online Editor, commented: “Saying that shooting is inappropriate content for minors is greatly discriminatory, and any link to bombs and bomb-making, clearly absurd. Obviously these online content filters are there to provide a service, but can often be no more than a sledgehammer to crack a nut in their application and function.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/news/514654/Phone_firm_bars_Shooting_Times.html

2. maestro

maestro European Champion 2018

Club:
    East Devon
    Unsense indeed, but it's easy to get rid of it:
    If you're over 18 then go to a T shop and ask them to remove the 'content lock'
    If you're under 18 then use a transparent proxy e.g. www.hidemyass.com

3. MattF

MattF New Member

Club:
    Chesterfield HFT Club
    Just a bit of info on Orange and T mobile are the same company now so I'm lead to believe

4. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    I have just come from a country where this sort of thing goes on! This is one of the reasons why the people hit Tihrir Square in their hundreds of thousands and one of the govts responses was to cut the mobile network and Internet. Orange and T Mobile need to learn that this type of censorship is unacceptable and exactly the sort of behaviour the likes of Mr Mubarak and his sort indulge in, as for Oranges spokesman what a ludicrous and ill informed answer. We as customers can threaten to potentially cancel contracts and what I would like to ask is what is BASC doing about this also?

5. bigboab

bigboab New Member

I was the same on my network (vodafone) I am 29 and I tried to get onto stb and other various shooting sites and I was not allowed on due to inaproriate content? I had to call up vodafone and sit through a 25 minute fone call before they would lift these restrictions! So I'm guessing if I was under 18 the bar would remain inplace with vodafone as well!!

6. Mountie

Mountie New Member

Orange and T MOB

Orange and T Mobile are the same company thats why they have taken the same stance I guess.