Optimal velocity for sub-20 FPE AA s510 .177 with AA 10.3s?

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by Blind Squirrel, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel New Member

Club:
    No membership, I shoot with Arlington Sportman's Club and Dallas Field Target Club
    Good evening from The Colonies...

Paul from the Republic of Texas here wondering if I might reap the benefits of others' hours of experimentation...

I have an AA s510 FAC Ultimate Sporter .177 and love it as an all-rounder. I have been attending benchrest as well as Field Target (Hunter PCP, US AAFTA rules require less than 20 foot pounds of energy). I tried a few different pellets and think it shoots pretty well with AA Field Heavy 10.3 grain pellets. (FYI, I use the magazine even in HFT matches because I find I gain a great deal of confidence when I can simply cock and shoot a second time after finally finding a comfortable shooting position. I know, single shot is far superior...but not if I lose confidence so that can be a separate thread once I get everything else sussed...)

My observation is that, in a recent chronograph session with a friend, when I turned the power dial to near 875 fps the groups tightened up a bit. With my setup at closer to 920 fps the groups seemed to open up a bit.

Is anyone able to lend his or her experience to suggest an optimal velocity for accuracy for this combination of pellet and rifle? (If you have found another pellet that you simply must recommend then I suppose I would be up for a little more testing to vet your suggestion. At this point upgrading the rifle is not an option.)

Thank you for your thoughts and for the fantastic reading (amusing as well as informative) this forum offers.

Cheers! -Paul

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Paul, as strange as it may seem to you but the 20ft/lb .177 set up is rather alien to the U.K. and even here in Ireland it’s mainly .22 at 30ft/lb and above.

My advice is run the fun at its sweetest, I.e. grouping and consistency and stick with the pellets that really suit the barrel (sane batch).
    Then learn it through extensive shooting.
    The 10.3grn is probably your best option. A heavier pellet may give the trajectory too much loop. I don’t know how a lighter pellet like 8.4grn holds up accuracy wise at the velocity you run at, it would probably be bordering on supersonic?

3. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Hi Paul

I guess you have a shrouded barrel as moderators are not easily allowed in the US of A?

I have found that manufacturers use compact barrels when using a shroud, and i have found that compact barrels shoot very well with the Bisley Magnums at 10.65 gr in .177

This would be my go to choice without a doubt: Bisley Magnum Pellets

By the way Bisley is a place and the home of British Shooting.

Cheers

Tony

4. Slip Stream

Slip Stream Experienced novice

Club:
    Silver Fox Shooting Experience.
    Hi Paul,

From personal experience I've found that a air rifle pellet losses stability the closer you get to the sound barrier , and the pellet weight doesn't seem to make any difference.

This was confirmed by Phil Price ( editor of Air Guunner magazine ) Who found his 0.177 28ft/lb was more accurate running at 820 ft/sec then 900 and above.

I have my 20 ft/lb 0.22 Set at 780 ft/sec , using JSB exact heavy 15.8 grain.
    And get a good group out to 75 yds , though I limmit my shoot range to 50 yds max.
    Hope this helps.

5. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    I use to shoot with my steyr and hw100 in .177 the jsb hvy at 260ms with superb accuracy. Both with hw barrels in 24".
    With the hn barracuda match you could obtain similar groups only with no wind, the bc is a bit lower, and they drop a bit more and are not very good in windy days.
    Maybe with a bit more power, the jsb .177 monster or jsb .177 monster redesigned could be an option.

6. Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel New Member

Club:
    No membership, I shoot with Arlington Sportman's Club and Dallas Field Target Club
    Thank you for the quick responses, gents. As you have surmised the barrel is the fully shrouded 19.5" model. And I do appreciate that a 20 FPE setup is far outside the standards you have set in the UK. (Americans always have to go too far, right?!)

What I wish we had nearby is a dedicated indoor air range instead of standing lanes restricted to 25 yards...

I have tried JSB Monsters with decent results but not quite as good as the AA 10.3s (but I may test again with more stringent controls).

Sounds again like slower can be better and I need to continue to experiment with that sweet spot.

I have never heard anyone in my nearby clubs using Bisley Magnums but sounds like they are worth a tin or two to try out, thank you!

Again, thank you for your recommendations and I look forward to hearing even more. -Paul in Texas

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Bisley Magnums are made in Germany by H&N, they are basically the Baracuda Match pellet but not produced and selected to the same tolerances.
    I believe in your neck of the woods they are the Beeman Kodiac