Ooo lookie here what I found under the lefthand tree.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by peterh, Sep 14, 2013.

1. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

[​IMG]

It's a lefty EV2 Mk4!

More to come.

2. ZakFT

ZakFT Member

Club:
    Castleton FTC / Tondu / Nelson
    That looks like a righty pal.

3. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

You're looking crooked pal. It's a lefty. Lookit the grip.

4. ZakFT

ZakFT Member

Club:
    Castleton FTC / Tondu / Nelson
    Haha am looking at the cocking leaver....:D

Can merely see the grip. :eek:o

5. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    nefta region

. It's a lefty. Lookit the grip.[/QUOTE]

Peter are you in the yorkshire end of the netherlands:D:D

Right hand cocking but it's a lefty allright.

6. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

lol! ROFLPMP! I guess I am,

I am righthanded, but I shoot lefthanded because I am leftEYED.
    Go ahead and imagine how ideal this rifle is for me...

7. blue dragon

blue dragon Member

Club:
    Rivington riflemen
    looks like a lefty look at the thumb grove:rolleyes:

8. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Me to

I know the feeling,shooting is the only thing i do left handed:eek:oexcept occasionaly when i'm traveling abroad and i need to use some international sign language:D:D

9. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Anyway... there is now a scope on top of it, which made it butt-ugly. Grey stock, blank aluminium-colored action with blue bits... topped off wit a black scope and black mounts.

[​IMG]

It would've been better if I had one with black anodised erogenous zones, but as a lefty, you take what you can get. It would've been worse if it would've had red bits. ;)

Since I took the scope straight off a leaking Frankenrifle, and have not yet have an opportunity to verify it at anything else than 15 yards, I doubt if I'm going to hit anything that is not at 15 yards today. ;)
    Since we had absolutely crappy weather yesterday, and the rain and wind only subsided in the evening, I only zero'd it for 15 yards - it got too dark to do anything more.
    Which, after I had found my zero, was rather boring, since on shooting 5 pellets, it would only create one hole in the paper, and send the other pellets through that hole with frightening precision. It effectively shoots 4.52mm groups. If there were a 15 yard discipline, this rifle, in its current setup, would win it.

10. rich

rich Active Member

Peter, when the rifle is next serviced and the reg removed, on reassembly get them to mount the air pressure gauge bracket "back-to-front". It doesn't change the position of the gauge but it puts the pivot hinge for the bubble on the right. The bubble now can be seen with the right eye but it folds into the park position the other way. There is however plenty of room for that to happen.

If you have the old type windicator you can do that too with the figure of 8 clamp and have the windicator on the right, but you have to push out the hinge pin and turn the arm over 180 degrees or it tries to park itself pointing forwards like a bayonet which is not a good plan. :)

11. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Hi Rich,

That is indeed something I had been wondering about... so thank you for that. For the time being, I really need the bubble... I am not familiar with the gun yet, so even on a level shooting surface, I can't 'feel' if I have it level. So a big thank you for that tip!

The windicator is already on the right (right) side, which would windicate that I have the new type windicator.
    Having said that, I've never had a windicator - I felt that I could usualy judge the wind uprange myself, and as already suggested previously by Si Evans, it seems like the EV2 definitely needs less kentucky windage anyway when compared to the NJR100.

12. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Anyway.
    Sunday's shoot was nothing short of dramatic... I set a PW (Personal Worst) of 19/50.

Which was to be expected. The scope was on so crooked that I had to take almost all turns on the windage to get it to zero. I thought I had a zero on 156 yards, but apparently not - I think I missed most everything between 15 and 35 yards.

Stupid detail: when I got the scope off the leaking AA100, I noticed that, while the front mount had its clamping bolts on the right, the rear mount had its bolts on the left. Not thinking any further, I corrected that when I mounted it on the EV2. I *could* have thought, hey, maybe, when you mounted the scope on the rifle 12 years ago, you had a reason for doing that...

Anyway. It kept creeping to the right, to the point where I was compensating for a wind from the left that wasn't there (the wind that made your second day at Weston Park interesting, only got to us in the evening).
    Funny thing is that, once I found that out, I found myself hitting the targets furthest out (from 40 yards onwards). So yes... I can do it, and the rifle can do it. :D

I scored an AJP riser rail, which now carries the Falcon T50, and this combination is a lot closer to the optical center than the BSA when I took it off. Let's see where this gets me. The Falcon has a wonderful elevation turret. Unfortunately, it seems to be noticeably darker at full mag than the Big Beesa, and from, say, fourty yards out, it doesn ´t seem to rangefind as positively - it lacks that last bit of ultimate sharpness that the BSA has. Also, the Falcon has a ruddy big sidewheel which, in terms of usability, cannot hold a candle to the very nice Jon Harris wheel on the BSA. Which he stopped making, which I would dearly regret if it weren't for the fact that my wife and I already have one.

So... I'll probably take my loss on the T50 and sell it. The BSA will go back onto the EV2 (with different mounts this time!), and the One Hundred will be a project rifle again. If I can't get it to shoot accurately out to 55, I might start using it as an HFT rig - up to 45 yards I have never had any problems with it.

13. rich

rich Active Member

My EV2 is an early one, and has the stopped dovetails. They are cut with a downslope and are not parallel with the bore, as some rifles are. This all sounds good news, except the amount of slope is rather too much in my case and the T50 bottoms out.

14. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Yup - I heard that it was something like 15 MOA? Someone told me that the Mk4 has that as well. My scope almost bottomed out when I mounted it (that was before I had the riser rail)

Maybe that's why many people use riser rails...?

15. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Anyway, I should now have everything to sort myself out well. I've got two (double) BKL mounts... which everyone advised me to get because that is what the AJP riser rail is tailored for. So, tonight I will mount the BSA with these, after I have determined its optical centre. Then, probably tomorrow, I will use the Ray Appelles head bop method to determine the correct setting of the diopter (the eyebell focusing thingy). Then, I will check the POI at 35 yards out, to see if I need to shim the scope to keep 35 yards in its optical centre.

Then I will have to find out if I can keep using the Exacts, or if I should switch to the Express.

And then follows the arduous process of completely remapping the side wheel numbers and the turret numbers for the chosen pellet...

And also I will have to relearn to shoot.

After that, and only after all that, I can proceed to the next point on my checklist: world domination. ;)

Seriously: from that point onwards, I should be certain in my mind that every target I miss is me own bl00dy fault. There will be a lot of these, and for an old git like me, the fun is in learning from these as I go along.

I should've known this about myself - and in fact I did, I just never applied that knowledge to shooting. I *love* to go ahead and chart territory, I *love* learning new underlying theory and applying it and gain understanding. I *love* the feeling that I get when I understand what I am doing wrong and why, and fixing it. I had a horrible time last Sunday when I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but I've had more than enough fun discovering WHY that was to compensate for that.

That's why I need to refuse to stick to what I know.

Whereas I thought I would like to shoot the FrankenRifle in FT more than the EV2, I'm not so sure now. No, I'm quite sure I should NOT stick to what I know.
    The EV2, for me, is uncharted territory, which holds a promise of new mistakes to be made, and new things to learn. To add to that, since I got sidetracked from shooting 10 years ago, a lot of new knowledge has been made available... so a learning curve not unlike the one I went through between 1999 and 2001, and enjoyed tremendously, is waiting for me now.

And I can still go into a similar learning curve with the FrankenRifle, if I make that my HFT rig! Since HFT is 100% uncharted territory for me, that would double the fun.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013