one hole.. LG300

Discussion in 'Walther' started by mav78, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mav78

mav78 novice precisioneer

Club:
    Garc
    Thread started due to Barrel issues on an lg300. Now getting sorted

Cheers

Mav

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    mine will do it with the right pellets...

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

HAve you tried sizing them?

4. mav78

Club:
    Garc
    nothing like an air of mystery

Cheers for the feedback guys,.. have tried sizing them to no real or noticeable improvements. Walther recommended I try 4.48'r or 4.50's..

Charlts.. :) cheers for the reply, what pellets work with yours buddy?

have tried thus far,

AA Fields 4.52
    RWS Superfields sized to.51 .52
    HN FTT
    JSB Exacts, .52 and .53's
    JSB Express 4.52

Again cheers fellas

5. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi,
    My barrel prefers JSB Exacts 4.51 over 4.52 or 4.53 but that might just be my barrel. Try the Pellet Perfect website and keep looking.
    ATB
    JJ

6. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I think we all wish it were that simple. You really need to try as many different tins i.e. batch/dies as you can even for the same maker. Usually easiest to test with a few friends to cover the costs. 20 pellets shot at the same mark on a target should show you how they group. If you don't see a group within 20 it isn't worth spending any more time on them (sometimes a sizing does change a batch to the better).

The trick is not in finding a great match but is then finding a crate load of those good ones as opposed to a few left in a tin that nobody has any more :-(

I have a LG300 - loves 4.53s except some which are absolute ******** and 4.52s which are ok but not as good. It varies from barrel to barrel.

happy hunting!

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It's down to the batch for me. I have 4.52 Exact express that do it, and some from a different batch that don't. Sizing, weighing and lubing helps, but in my experience it never gets a lesser batch up to the same accuracy as a good one, which just works from the tin. I size to 4.48 out of habit.

Is yours a dominator, or a converted LG300... serial number may reveal some info...

To be honest my walther isn't the best grouper i've shot, I think my springer out does it, and I've shot other guns that will out do it as well, but with the right pellet i'll cluster shots at 55 off the knee.

8. mav78

Club:
    Garc
    cheers

Walther in agreement. Barrel is getting sent over. See how it goes
    ATVB

Mav

9. mav78

Club:
    Garc
  10. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Do you have access to a chrono that you can use downrange? - Something like a ProChrono / Alpha Chrony type thing?

It would be interesting to see how much shot to shot variation you get on velocity downrange with that barrel.

I'm asking that because I've often heard people say this barrel takes less wind than that barrel etc. and whether it's down to rate of twist or barrel harmonics or whatever other theory you come up with. Ultimately, accuracy and consistency are synonymous with each other.

Consistency at the barrel is a good indicator that the air release mechanism is working correctly, but consistency downrange is an indicator of both the air release mechanism AND the pellet's stability in flight.

My theory being that a pellet that is more consistent downrange (for whatever reason) will be more accurate downrange. It is also likely to have a higher ballistic coefficient and be better in the wind.

I'd love to see a comparison between two guns - one that's known to be accurate (like the Steyr you mentioned) and one that's been found not to be as accurate (your Walther).

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I've been using the same batch of JSB's for the past 3/4 years, they seem to go really well in all of my guns and my hunting buddies so I'm guessing they're just a good batch.:)

12. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    I can't shoot groups with mine as well as other guns I've had (Daystates) but when in a target hitting situation the shot always goes in exactly the right place every time.

I think they are just harder to shoot of a bench for some reason, have you tried shooting groups from prone or off a bipod or bags?

13. mav78

Club:
    Garc
    still educating myself

I have mate, like you say, they seem to hit what your aiming at when required but its a mind melter when they don't shoot paper the same way, seen me standing in the club taking aim at empty rimfire shells and pinging them off to my hearts delight at 25 yards but off the bench/prone/bag/rest it won't "one hole", not taking anything away from it though, its a dream to shoot in any scenario but these tiny nuances when compared to mine and fellow members Steyr's get a bit frustrating.

I questioned whether a regulator needs to settle in after a service (serviced by Pete D. (one of the nicest guys I have met on the HFT and airgun circuit) and indeed it had fell back to 10.2 after running around 11.5/6 but a fractional turn on the adjuster and it was back up and giving excellent results over the chrony.

I have had a few emails back and forth from Walther and one I am on with just now, does anybody know what barrel (perhaps a daft question) is in these in comparison to other rifles? As we know most use "match grade" Lothars these days but given the statement the dominators take "less wind" they must have a different barrel or different specifics to other rifles?

Has anyone changed the barrel for the better and is so what to on the 16j versions?

All the best

Mav

14. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    I've stopped zeroing and group-sizing off a bench, because I found it a complete waste of time when prepping for HFT.

My zero off the bench, and my zero from prone, varied by as much as 12 clicks on a single axis.

So I now zero the rifle, and group-size from prone.

I've only spent 15mins with my new Walther, but it's producing one hole groups (5 shots through the same hole, about the size of my pinkie nail) at 35yds consistently. Albeit in a barn with no wind.

For me, the main challenge was parallax error. Now that I've found a technique that's helping reduce parallax error, I'm able to achieve similar group sizes with both my HW100 and my Dommie.

I prefer shooting my HW100, but the Dommie Hunter stock fits me far better.

15. mav78

Club:
    Garc
    one hole

2nd walther shoots perfect indoors same results as my steyr. Will see whats gonna happen when it gets to Germany.

Regards

Mav

16. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Not being funny but there way to many variables in the search for the one hole group,I could post pics of a recent aim point session shot outdoors off a post hft prone 5 shots single hole @ 23yrd,37yrd one pellet messed it up 45 yrd 3 pellet spread...
    All pellets well in 15mm aim points at 8-45 on paper good enough for me.

Many thanks for the light stream lol,took my new walther to bisley and shot a 53 @ my first national,miss ranged a few but well happy with the walther...

James

17. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    5 shots, one hole with my Walther at Bisley on the zero range on sunday, at 25yds.
    Didn't help me much though................

18. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    me neither bud lol....

james

19. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

If I cant get pellet through same hole best is 3 at 55 yards,i get rid of the rifle ive had everthing apart from daystate and steyr only because I just don't like the look of them but if your still its easy enough as long as wind is in your favour...:rolleyes::D

20. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Have you ever considered its either your pellets or you can't group ?

3 pellets through the same hole ? At 55yds ? Really ?

Another pellet on pellet Guru .......... 3 pellets don't make a group & bling necessarily don't win !

ttfn