FT Old Bushnell 6-24x40 vs 8-32x40

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by mrgeoff, Feb 5, 2019.

1. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Hi, I have been shooting FT with an old Bushnell front AO 6-24x40 scope, I find it ranges ok for me, and it works very well on my springer. I started using this when my Leupold comp 35x lost zero and had to go back to the USA for repair, but now it’s back, I’m kind of fond of the old Bushnell.
    This has got me wondering about the slightly higher powered 32x version.
    Can anyone answer if the range markings will have a wider spacing due to the higher mag, or will they be spaced the same as the 24x?
    Wouldn’t mind trying one if the spacing is further apart.

Thanks!

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I wouldn’t think the the magnification would affect the gap between the ranges. However the higher mag scope may have different characteristics to how it ranges. It’s a try and see one really IMO.

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The one i had was ok for hunting but would not bring in clear a pellet mark at 50 yards .??? HOLLY

4. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    The Bushy 4200 32x is a very well respected scope, especially by spring gun shooters. 32x allows ranging accurately out to 55yds - as long as your eyes are good enough! the gap between 50 and 55 is distinct, but the adjustment on the front parallax ring is very small - only 2-3mm between 50 and 55. The great thing about them is that they focus from 10yds min.

I know some who use the scope without any additional range markings on at all, they claim the original range distances are accurate. Brian Samson made up a clamp-on parallax collar for it, but I don't think you can get them any more: maybe if you ask nicely....

I know of one guy using the 6-24, but that's an original Bausch & Lomb one, and the optics are very clear. Unfortunately the 24x doesn't quite cut it above 50yds.

Your biggest problem will be getting one: they're like hen's teeth now that Bushnell have dropped the 4200s in favour of the sidewheel 4500s - which aren't as good and only focus to 25yds minimum. They come up every so often, but usually sell very quickly - clues to how popular they are!!:)

5. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Thanks.
    I have about 4mm between 50 and 55yds on my 24x, which means I can just about split the difference for a 52yd target.
    I have marked up 12yds and 55yds as extras, the Bushnell set markings are spot on otherwise.

Just realised that the front ring is independent of zoom level, otherwise how would it work at 6-24x!

I will keep an eye out for a 32x to try.

Cheers!

6. Alanok2002

Alanok2002 Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    32mag is great i have 2 one is on my ft rig and ive shot with people on ft circuit using big nikko sightron. March ect and its matched all them for range finding accuratly

7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    They're great scopes. I also have two but, as with many scopes, they need to be learnt.
    Equally it's quite easy to get unused to it, just by not using it for a while. You just get out of practice.

I wouldn't say they're like hens' teeth though. They still crop up semi-regularly but they don't tend to hang around very long unless they're priced too high.

8. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I've made over a hundred of those AO parallax rings - all bar 1 scope the markings at the top end have come in spot on - the AO ring works on 6-24's and 8-32's. The gap between 50 and 55 yards is actually 2.33mm - and although that doesn't sound like a lot it's enough to tell the distance to the yard above 50 if you practice with it.

To put that 2.33mm into context - it's like having a 50mm sidewheel turned on it's side. So on a 4 inch (100mm) sidewheel that would be like having a 5mm gap between 50 and 55 (which is a bigger gap than a Nikko or Sightron).

Alanok2002 likes this.