Old air arms adaptor (on a steyr quick fill) question

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by merc350, Feb 7, 2012.

1. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Charging my cylinder with air last night on my LG100 i noticed it was leaking at the washer end. Ive ordered a new male adaptor and washer as the old one was looking worn and may as well change the lot.

I removed the old male AA adaptor today and thought it was going to be a fag to remove. It however came off surprisingly easily, with no heat. There is no evidence of loctite.

To loctite or not to loctite that is the question?

Do your guys use loctite when installing an adaptor. Help much appreciated:)

2. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    That's a sticky question :D

3. AndyS

AndyS Member

Club:
    Newbury, CSFTA
    Why on earth would you use Loctite?

The washer is a rubber bonded seal (Dowty seal). It is designed to be screwed on, does not have to be torque up to extremes, either.

If you Loctite it and the seal goes again, how do you propose to remove it without heat (on a pressurised cylinder) that's down right bl**dy dangerous! :confused:

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I agree with Andy Paul......no need for loctite. I've done dozens on the S400 series and only ever needed a bonded washer. If you're at the club on sat bring it along as i have a bonded washer.

P.S had both my cylinders quickfilled for knobman (on here) and they look really good.

5. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Sorry to hijack, but Chris, what fill fitting does he use, and is the gauge retained??

Ta.
    Paul

6. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Eyup Paul.....The Op won't mind , he's a good lad.:)

he uses the old style AA filler but you loose the gauge. He anodises an end cap for whatever colour your cylinder is. I only had it done last weekend and haven't filled and shot the rifles yet but the quality of work looked very, very good. The end cap adds almost an inch on to the length of the cylinder which, IMHO , makes the rifle look better.

At the very least it will remove a nagging thought that screwing the cylinder on and off the reg will cause problems. Might just be in my head but now it's something i don't have to worry about.:)

7. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hi Chris.

I have had the threads on my regulator and cylinder replaced last week for the reasons you mention above. Mine had been usncrewed a lot of times and the threads on both the cylinder and regulator were knackered. I think the quick fill is a good way of stopping this happening. The only thing with them I think is to fill the gun up very slowly, if you do it quick I think it can damage the internals of the regulator. You probably already know this tbh.

Regards.

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Thanks for the heads up james. I'd heard from Harry preston the same info but i'm not sure how that can damage the internals of the reg that are already sat at 85bar (providing the cylinder isn't totally emptied)

9. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I think he said it would be fine if you fill the cylinder up very slow.
    He also said there is an official steyr quickfill cylinder coming out very soon. Apparently it is similar to the hw100 type that uses a probe.

10. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    OK so i take it lactate is a bad idea then:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

To be honest i didn't it needed it but i read some threads about people heating the things up to break the loctite seal and it seemed a bit dangerous.

@Chris thanks for the offer as usual. Was going to PM you but you've been brilliant as it is with all your help, don't want to take advantage:)

Self sealing washer came with the new adaptor so will fit (not too tightly) and see how it goes.:)

As always thanks guys for the replies..

11. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Plonker Rodney......you should know by now that i actually enjoy helping people out.

tis Karma innit.

12. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    I just want to make it clear that i can spell. :D:D:D I actually typed loctite and NOT lactate, however the predictive text feature on my macbook keeps changing words on me. So if you see 'steer" instead of "steyr" or any other weird spelling its the computer not me.... honest guv!!!:)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  13. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    OK Delboy, cushty:D:D:D

14. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Thanks Chris, thought that might be the case. I've just bought a spare cylinder with QF fitted using the old style AA filler. It had been previously leaking and I suspect it had been the sealing washer. It's all good now though. Just need to do a proper shot count with losing the gauge.

merc350, sounds like you've done a fair bit of work so far. Sure it will be worth it.

15. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Paul

Hope so buddy:D:D

ATB

Paul:shot:

16. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Have to say, I love my sterry :D

Did you buy as a project, or are you just tinkering to get rid of all the bits and pieces that Chris has kicking about????:p:p:p:p

17. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    The gun shoots great. Just had a worn cocking lever and bolt and noticed a leak on the adaptor which looks like its fixed.:D

Your right though Chris has helped me out loads particularly with gold plated advice both regarding the gun, HFT and airgun shooting in general.:)

LankyMK has also been a top lad, showing me the ropes.:)

Trouble is Paul i'm a tinkerer so any excuse and im in there:rolleyes:

ATB

Paul

18. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Ok, ok......stop milking it now.:D

19. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    You know you love it really:D

20. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

The Lactate instead of loctite thing is going to stick now.:)