NSRA consultation on membership

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Dec 4, 2019.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    This could affect you no matter if you're a member or just a member of a club that's affiliated (including those insured) to the NSRA.

This could affect FT, HFT and any other type of club that's affiliated.

To remove any ambiguity, the proposal contained does mandate that all members of clubs who are affiliated take up Bronze membership. The reasons why are also explained.

This is a consultation so feel free to make your opinion known and what your position is (member, official, whatever). I can then send the NSRA a link to this thread. I'll also provide an email address tomorrow (hopefully) for those that wish to air their views more directly/privately.

Dropbox - Membership Transformation Presentation to Shooting Council November 2019 2.pptx - Simplify your life

2. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rob.
    I'm a member of the NSRA, I feel it is worth it for the insurance cover I receive plus it allows me to enter certain competitions at 10m.
    The NSRA does seem a little lost recently and it is difficult to see where the solutions lie. It has to become relevant and promote its worth to the average shooter rather than a competition driven elite. Something which might be said about the BFTA too.
    I don't believe compulsory membership is the way forward and clubs may see casual shooters leave for private enterprises/clubs that operate on a pay as you shoot basis.
    The problem that the NSRA faces isn't unique to sports however. In healthcare the professional bodies struggle to justify themselves to members and there is much resentment to the fees that are basically compulsory if you wish to work in that field.
    Not an easy problem to fix and the NSRA may need to be more radical.
    James

DazF, Rotherham Owl, TonyF and 4 others like this.
  3. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Hmmmm: if I understand it correctly then members of 0.22LR clubs affiliated to NSRA have to be members of the NSRA by default, right? If so, then the only shooters that would need to take this up are those of NSRA affiliated clubs who don't currently shoot 0.22LR - i.e., airgun clubs or probationary shooters.

Sure, membership of NSRA offers benefits - gold membership giving the member £20k worldwide kit cover and liability insurance is pretty good - but given that clubs charge membership already, and some clubs also have to pay individual membership of the ground they use, this is just another added cost of shooting. The dyed-in-the-wool shooters would suck it up, but it's the many more casual club members who help to fund the clubs: this would probably be seen as a put-off, causing further decline in shooter numbers. NSRA isn't really doing a lot for airgun clubs anyway, unless it's 10m target.

Hope the roadshow has a very convincing playbook.....

4. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Is there a short version of what it says and means ??

DazF and tony mccracken like this.
  5. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

That is the short version...

tony mccracken likes this.
  6. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    West Devon ftc
    Farmers union it is then

DazF and NeilM like this.
  7. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    For the last ten years they’ve failed to notice they don’t have a working business plan.

Brian.Samson, Adam and DazF like this.
  8. shakeysimon

shakeysimon Member

Club:
    West Devon
    I don’t think it’s the right way to go,we have several older members at our club,making them pay an extra £35 a year means they would probably leave which isn’t good for the club or the members.as I’m involved with running our club I would advise looking for alternative insurance to cover us,if it becomes mandatory for every member to pay £35 extra on top of club membership I’d feel it’s right to hold an agm and discuss other forms of insurance,to be told your membership is more then doubling with little or no benefit to yourself will not make for happy members.it seems to me if they cannot run it at a profit they shouldn’t be running it,demanding a large fee off everyone as the books don’t balance doesn’t fill me with confidence

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  9. RobF

Club:
    No, that's not correct. My indoor club is NSRA affiliated. Only some are members of the NSRA. I've been a member for many years and indeed Chaired it when it went through recertification. It's not been mandatory in all that time. It's gone from a .22 prone & 10m club to one that shoots up to .45 cal black power and has a fullbore section as well as HFT & FT shooters. It's a very broad church and the amount of NSRA members you could probably count on one hand despite having a membership approaching 200.

As far as 10m is concerned, leagues like dsrpa have probably several 100 competitors and are open to anyone, so there's no need to be NSRA from that respect.

I'm a full NSRA member because it covers me for coaching/instruction. Without it you are practicing uninsured and if your club allows this then their cover may share liability which might not be covered by insurance either.

I think most HFT & FT clubs are with the NSRA for insurance first. Likewise committees/governing bodies. Beyond that there are other benefits however I'm not sure how quantifiable they are as compared to a £35/year cost.

I guess it depends what you want from your national governing body.

10. RobF

Club:
    Anyone who's a member of an NSRA affiliated club pays £35 to the NSRA each year. So for an example you can relate to, all members of SWEFTA clubs that have NSRA insurance would need to pay £35 each per year no matter if you shoot shotgun, airgun, full bore or what.

DazF likes this.
  11. SteveC200

SteveC200 Well-Known Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I'd be fine with it, both in principle and for the insurance benefits. As said though, the casual shooter won't be too happy, particularly families. Two youngsters and a parent can join Iceni for £60 (?)/ year, with compulsory NSRA membership on top that's now £135, more than double. It will most definitely affect our membership levels, which is pretty small already.

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Anyone know how much it is for a years membership at a golf club these days?

DazF and scruff like this.
  13. RobF

Club:
    If we had grounds like golf clubs I'd happily pay the £300.

BDL, DazF and gdavison like this.
  14. SteveC200

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Show me the FT club the size of an 18 hole course with all the facilities and you can take my money.

dave croucher, BDL, DazF and 2 others like this.
  15. SteveC200

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    What are the BFTA requirements for club insurance? Icenis is through NSRA but is other suitable insurance acceptable?

DazF likes this.
  16. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Active Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    Average golf club membership is circa £900 a year ... !!!

DazF and Conor like this.
  17. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    At Dunfermline as an FT and HFT club of over 30 years' standing afaik all we seek from NSRA is our insurance, which is £200 I think.
    With 60 members at £35 a head they'd certainly get a lot more.
    The first question our committee is going to ask is what alternatives are there for insurance?

After mulling this for a bit I think the members may accept a lesser amount, say under £20.
    It's all very well comparing it to a slice of bread or a golf club membership but what folk are going to do is compare it to what they pay just now; this would nearly double our current subs fee.
    If we paid a bit less as a club for our insurance (which we have to have), but every member had to be paid up NSRA Bronze at £15-£20, that might go.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    DazF, Welsh Wizard and petethemap like this.
  18. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Ok I’ll be honest - I don’t know what the NSRA do but on reading the presentation it looks like they are in trouble - membership and income is on the decline so they want to go to individual members?

What do they do??

Sorry to be so ignorant

DazF and pbrown like this.
  19. RobF

Club:
    Not around here it's not. £325 for a year and a round a week over a selection of clubs.

Steviek likes this.
  20. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    The NRA went through something similar recently and charged affiliated Clubs £11 per member per year. We had to fork out £1100 for our membership for absolutely no benefit apart from being able to pay to shoot at Bisley.
    I guess that the NSRA have seen that it's money for old rope and so have put their own spin on extracting money from hapless shooters.
    What with the new requirement for FAC holders to get their GP's to sign them off I think shooting is fast becoming an endangered species in the UK.