Not helping our cause

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by MikeSeago, Dec 2, 2018.

1. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Active Member

It is news reports like this about the senseless and cruel killing of these swans that give us a bad name. To be honest if the idiots that did this didn’t have access to what looks like a BB gun then they may have beaten them to death with a baseball bat to get there kicks.
    Words do not describe the ability of some ‘so called’ humans to inflict pain on other animals and sometimes other humans.
    A sad state of affairs.
    End of rant

Attached Files:

2. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

TBH I'm no expert but it looks more like shot gun shot to me.
    But either way if it is reported as an 'airgun' attack that's what the general public will take it as. And you are right it doesn't help our sport.

gdavison, top gun phil and Darron like this.
  3. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    I too saw the x-ray pictures earlier on the BBC website.

My immediate reaction, after fuming about the scum who did it, was that there were just too many hits for a single shot BB or airgun, much more like a long(ish) range shotgun pattern.

Annoying that the report is headlined "pellets" but later on says "pellets or shot"

gdavison, top gun phil and Darron like this.
  4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    It’s clearly a shotgun so whoever the mindless plonker was deserves to have their certificate revoked, a hefty fine and criminal conviction for shooting a protected wild bird.

Can’t see how some idiot woukd manage to do that with so many BB’s, or if a BB gun would have sufficient energy.

5. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Having once seen kids throwing small stones at swans in a river,if a stone went anywhere near a swan it flew off
    and landed further away. I cannot see that a swan would just sit there while some idiot slowly peppered it with
    pellets,surely the first shot to break through its feathers and into flesh would cause it to fly off. It would not be that
    difficult to extract one object from the swan to be certain what it was shot with before making wild assertions.
    (the 2 boys by the way got a bloody good wallop from their dad who was fishing nearby when I told him).

Terry

6. springboy

springboy Member

I saw a similar news article regarding a cat. It too had multiple shot in its body,obviously caused by a shotgun but the gutter press still made it to be from an air gun. It’s sickening that anyone could do that to swans,or any bird but what really gets my goat is when they point the finger at the air gunner.

top gun phil likes this.
  7. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Active Member

Looks like they have changed the headline and removed the reference to air guns.
    Maybe someone at the BBC actually listened for once

gdavison and top gun phil like this.
  8. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    A welcome move in the right direction, most unusual for the BBC especially on a Sunday

9. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Is this the one that has a pellet in the back of its head?

Looked to me like it was dropped with a shotgun and dispatched by pistol.

Pre meditated, or shot in low light who knows. Chances of getting the full picture are non existent...

10. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

11. Niloc

Niloc Member

Club:
    BFTO Bisley
    I spoke too soon, Radio 4 6PM news had the story and linked it to the RSPCA and wanting airgun laws changing!!

While I was swearing at the announcer, SWMBO who has zero interest in guns says "a gun is a gun" so what chance have we got!

12. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Sadly the truth will never get in the way of a good story.

Airgun, shotgun, pop gun.... the public don't care. This will be another tool in the box for the antis, another vote for "control".

At the same time we have people being beaten shytless on our streets and the police are too busy, too underfunded to go after the scum.

subaru swift likes this.
  13. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
  14. Mr H.

Mr H. I am not even a number.

Club:
    NARPA - OSS. - Harriers FTC. British Field Target Council - Pre BFTA
    I may be well off with this but didn’t Terry Doe do some articles through the mags early 1990’s, where he was helping a Swan sanctuary his way to keep the rats down which were taking the youngsters. Wonder if anything could be used there to calm situation down - maybe they could check the facts- only an idea. Think it was 1993

15. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Definitely a shotgun but as there seems to be any chance to bad press airguns why worry about mere facts when it's a great opportunity to feed more rubbish to the public.
    I've seen a few swans hit by crossbows over the years and yet there never is any baying to ban them.

Ash Bailey likes this.