NONE CONBUSTABLE OIL UNDER PRESSUE IE DIESELING.

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by RAIDER, Jan 15, 2018.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Understandable. I’d suggest caution whenever testing something unknown, let alone in a Springer. We just don’t know what we don’t know.

2. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    Ok , so the science is a little baffling, i do know from experience that krytox and the like , will keep you away from dieseling, if your stroke /piston weight etc is too close for comfort , however if you have something wrong ,such as a leaking clyinder or a poor piston seal, it will burn like crazy, again from experience . So if everything is working correctly I have found that most lubes , moly ,stp, abby sm50, will all work fine .

3. Howard Russell

Howard Russell New Member

Club:
    Abbey Air Rifle Group
    I'd like to try Castrol 'R' just to see everyone else's response. :)

4. Slip Stream

Slip Stream Experienced novice

Club:
    Silver Fox Shooting Experience.
    If it helps.
    We used to put " Ceramic Grease " on high performances racing car disc brake outers .
    The grease itself burns of leaving a non-ceasing surface, I tested it and it took a temp of 1383 deg before it started to slowly burn off.

I don't know if it's the same type of consistency but there is also a product for bike's that is a dry lube C3 from Halfords I think it's called that is also ceramic based ,I found this did not readily burn when I was welding my frame back together.

Maybe worth checking out the specification of Ceramic lubricants ?

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    The presence of oxygen in the molecule isn't relevant for its combustibility, nor does it mean it is inclined to release that oxygen. Water is 89% oxygen (by atomic weight) but it's pretty hard to get it to burn. Pure hydrogen H2 has no oxygen and will combust violently in the presence of oxygen to produce H2O (ie water). This is exothermic i.e. the reaction releases energy. Once that reaction has happened though it needs a lot of energy input to cause that molecule to break down and release the oxygen again.

I've forgotten most of the stuff about valency and electron orbits from A level chemistry but it's easiest to think of it in terms like the water molecule has "got enough oxygen". Carbon monoxide (CO) is flammable. The Carbon atom has one Oxygen atom, but it really wants another. When it burns it takes another Oxygen atom and becomes Carbon Dioxide (CO2). But then the Carbon atom is happy with what it's got so Carbon Dioxide won't burn any more.

If the Krytox stuff starts to break down at 400C it may start to release its oxygen (I guess it would be endothermic ie. will need energy to break the bonds) but that oxygen is then at a loose end to react with anything else available, like other lubes if any, or seal materials.

I love science, me!

6. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Graphite is the future, works a treat in springers, though it has to be the fine locksmith's variant not 'carbon' as someone suggested.