No the real problem.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by scott pywell, Aug 11, 2018.

1. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    Would just like to thank everybody for there help and advise on the search for a ft gun which I have now purchased (AA FTP900) which was for sale at my local club.
    Now the search for the holy grail sorry I mean scope will but my MTC Viper pro5-30x50 but its not quite enough mag but a good starting point.
    Any thoughts on the following
    Sightron s111, Big Nikko, March, Delta, Schmidt & bender or any other options.
    Regards Scott

Jaeger likes this.
  2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    The Big Nikko 10-50x60 Mk1 Mk2 or Mk3 (tall green turrets) either Mildot or Nato reticle, would be a good place to start.

3. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    Got 2 sightron's and just purchased a delta stryker which I plan to test over next few months

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    How much do you want to spend?

The scopes you have listed run for £800 to £3000 and they will all do the job of rangefinding.

5. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Depends how deep your pockets are - money no object, get a MarchX 80. If you want something that's easy to learn and good enough to take a World Champion title, get a Big Nikko.

RAMBO, gpj and wiseguy like this.
  6. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    Won’t go far wrong with a Big Nikko

RAMBO likes this.
  7. Jaeger

Jaeger Andy Barnes

Club:
    Hereward
    The big nikko has a proven track record and takes some beating. However everyone has a preference, try a few at the club and see which suits you and your budget.

Regards....Andy

RAMBO and gpj like this.
  8. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    There's all of the £1-2k scopes at the club - we're not rich enough for a March or S&B but you can try the Sightron an Delta plus some Leupolds at the club next week.

RAMBO likes this.
  9. gdavison

gdavison Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC
    I will also suggest the Big Nikko, however if your budget will not reach to one or you can't find a good second hand one, I would also suggest looking at a Falcon T502. I started with the T502 and it does its job pretty well, however having just changed to a big Nikko I can see the difference why folk are such a supporter of them

10. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    I would appreciate your feed back on the delta as soon as you have had time to try.
    Regards Scott

11. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc

12. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    What about the Gallagher Boy and I don't mean Oasis. Had anyone got a s & b at hereward do you know.
    Regards Scott

13. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    Have you read Jerry reply it looks like Hereward shooters have most but we need to find someone with S & B for there feedback.
    Regards Scott

14. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I prefer the Stryker over the Sightron although that is as much to do with the exit pupil which is small on the Sightron. Quality wise I'd say the Stryker is more robustly made than the Sightron, that said, drop the rifle on either one and they will not be happy. The Stryker does have quite a fine reticule but there are a few out there in the hands of shooters who are doing very well, John Farbrother to mention just one.

Optically, good examples of both are excellent, they both range find consistently well and have nice clear optics, so it is as much to do with personal preference than much else, be aware that the Stryker has a 34mm main tube, you need to remember this when buying mounts.

15. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    Yes it does appear that for the price the Nikko is good value for money I going to try to have a go with one on Saturday .
    Regards Scott

gdavison likes this.
  16. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    The S&B is in a different class to the Sightron and Stryker. I recently reviewed the PM11 (NOT the FT) and thought it was a really excellent scope in absolutely every respect, but, they are quite heavy and they are expensive, not as much as a March but pricey, however they are pretty available s/h.

If you are looking into S&B and March territory, then don't forget the Kahles 1050FT. I have been told of poor examples, but the three I have looked at have all been very much in the same league as the S&B PM11.

17. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    Thanks for that as the only person I know with one hasn't set it yet, Is it easy to get 34mm fully adjustable mounts.
    Regards Scott

18. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Sportsmatch make 34mm mounts for both dovetail rails and picatinny rails. I used some Tier One mounts when I reviewed the Stryker (and S&B), they are top quality but not adjustable.

19. scott pywell

scott pywell New Member

Club:
    hftc
    Thanks the S&B what sort of price would you think a secondhand would be.
    Regards Scott

20. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I saw one on the BBS go for £1150 last week. I would have bought it but the advert said he would prefer not to post, and he was a fair distance North of me... the guy that bought it was in Berlin!

Usually around £2k s/h