Nikko vs Falcon t50

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by GeoffDyos, Oct 4, 2019.

1. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    Halifax, Keighley target sports
    Hello guys
    Am wanting opinions about FT scopes as a newbie started to read abt nikko vs Falcon scopes and pricing but then work got in the way. and lost my place

So looking for advice from people who have used both and best value for money
    Am sure it's been discussed on here already pls point me to the thread

Tks Geoff

2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I believe the Falcon x50 is a very good scope and excellent VFM, but it does not have an illuminated reticle (red dot in centre type) which is something I value.
    The T50 Falcon is not in the same league as the X50.

3. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    Thankyou for sharing your knowledge

Geoff

4. CaMyPau

CaMyPau New Member

Club:
    Field Target Club Sofia
    Look at the X50. One idea better than Nikko, come with sunshade, and big wheel... And is cheaper than Nikko.

garym likes this.
  5. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    I will thankyou

6. FTJimH

FTJimH Devonshire Dumplin, and a big one at that.

Club:
    Buckley Wood, Quarry
    The Falcon is cheaper, but i would say personally the Nikko has the edge. It comes down to persoanll preference though. The nikko suits my needs and my eye so i prefer it.

James

RAMBO likes this.
  7. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    Thankyou James.
    Looks like personal preference as with everything but good to know
    no one has had a bad experience with either so far For the money involved I would hope the QC is good

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    The Falcon T50 is a capable scope, but it is not in the same league as the big Nikko (10-50).

Where the T50 falls down is on rangefinding between 50 and 55 yards. When parallaxed to 50 yards, it will be clear at 50 and 55 will be out of focus, when at 55 yards the reverse will be the case, 55 will be clear and 50 will be out of focus, BUT it is pretty much impossible to get ranges between 50 and 55 yards, so you have to make a judgement on the target range, this is pretty easy for an experienced shooter to do but can cause new shooters a lot of grief and confusion.

If your budget only runs to a T50, then be aware of its limits, if you can afford a big Nikko, either new or second hand then I would go that route.

If you go s/h with any scope, it is wise to try before you buy, 99% of sellers are totally straight.... but a few are not.

Jacek.B likes this.
  9. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    Cheers Neil I'm not quite ready to buy a big scope need to put some more money in the pot
    Thankyou for your input some thing to check when looking

Tks Geoff

10. CaMyPau

CaMyPau New Member

Club:
    Field Target Club Sofia

T50 and X50 are different scopes.. Different classes.

garym and gdavison like this.
  11. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    get along to your local club and try a few out the ft boys are great and will guide you, your eyes will dictate what you buy.

CaMyPau likes this.
  12. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    As mentioned above the X50 is a different beast completely

There are also 3 (ish) models of T50 ..

The original T50 had turrets like this - off set to each other)

[​IMG]

As was available in two "models" .. The Black one and the Silver One, which was sold as a "Light Management" or LM variant - claimed to "have a revised baffle arrangement internally. Same glass, same coatings as the other Falcon T50 just a slightly different way of managing the light. It delivers a brighter image at higher magnification."

The next T50 was the Model 2 or the T502, Turrets where in line and Top turret was a larger meatier design and looked like this, Magnification ring was a different shape too.

[​IMG]

I started with a T502 and it was a great FT starter scope if your budget did not stretch to a Nikko. As well as the "sticker price" being less than the Nikko. iIt also came with Sunshade, Big Sidewheel (from Jon Harris) and range stickers, so it saved you close to an additional 100 GBP of dressing you would have been spending on the Nikko

I changed to a Nikko as soon as I could and it was a noticeable difference. Since then the T502 has sat in the cupboard (I really should get around to selling it some time)

For some one on a really tight starter budget a second hand T502 (no one sells them new anymore) could be a great starting point as they will be cheaper than a second hand Nikko. If buying new the decision now is between the Falcon X50 or Nikko

13. GeoffDyos

GeoffDyos New Member

Club:
    Thankyou for this info. From all the feedback the thread has given it looks like a nikko I just need to save a while and keep a look out on here. I see a nikko was sold just the other day
    Tks again Geoff