nikko nighteater 8x56 is it good for hft

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by gavin hopps, Apr 1, 2013.

1. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    hi i have been hunting vermin for just over a year now. i have just started to do some target shooting/competition and joinded a club near me (York FTC, formerly Huntington FTC). i am thinking of geting a nother gun and scope for hft competition.. but dont realy no what scope would be good and dont want to spend loads. i am thinking of the nikko nighteater 8x56. any one now if its good or of a nother scope?
    thank you gav

2. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Objective lens is too big for a decent depth of field. No bigger than a 40 or 44mm lens would be best.

You might be better with a variable mag, something like a 3-12 so that you have a chance to find the mag that suits you.
    I would suggest you go to the HFT comp at York on the 14th and have a look through a few scopes. If you're not sure about asking a few people, get Wayne to grab hold of a few of us.

Different people will give you differing advice on what mag to use, and what ret to use for your aim points. It comes down to what is going to suit you however.

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Gav, get stuck in with what you've got already. Once you've learnt what it's all about then you'll know if it's any good.:)

4. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    hi i have a nikko nighteater 6x24x56 scope at the mo. i spoke to Wayne on sunday as i m a member of York FTC. it was him that said i may need a diffrent scope. i would want a fixed mag scope, as you cant use your mag and yard wheel in the winter hft comps. was all, so was wondering about this.
    thank you gav

5. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    have just seen a mtc viper 10x44 what do you all think between the two scopes.
    thank you gav

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Gav,
    You may find that a fixed mag scope works for you, however you may not.
    Whilst you won't be swapping mag once shooting, it allows you to fine tune a scope to suit you. I hated the x10 Viper I tried for a while, however many people like them. Others will simply follow fashion.
    I found that close targets were too blurred and also out past 40 yards was blurred. Some people like to use that to range. I just got fed up with shooting blurred targets. I ended up after lots of playing around using x8. I couldn't do that with a fixed mag scope.

I really would wait and look through some at the comp. If you are going to shoot the comp, just use what you have for now, it will do the job to get you going. Use a lowish mag and set the paralax at around 23-25 yards to start with and see how you go. Make sure that you know your aim points for different ranges via your mil dots and have fun.

7. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    thank you very much for your help. well guess the viper is out as i cant do blurry images.
    i and at the comp on 14th so will look at over peoples scopes and see how i do. i am saving so i can get new gun and scope at same time. but just wanted idears of scopes to go for.
    thank you again gav